Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 10

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, July 25, 2020, 11:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

3 episodes into the NZ version and I'm really enjoying it. Angella is a bit too low-energy for me, hopefully she warms up a bit, but there's no one on there that's actively annoying me, everyone seems pretty funny and they've had some nice tasks that give a lot of room for the contestants to do them differently. Good stuff.

JamesTC

Dave should try to get the rights to show the New Zealand version over here.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 26, 2020, 01:17:55 PM
3 episodes into the NZ version and I'm really enjoying it. Angella is a bit too low-energy for me, hopefully she warms up a bit, but there's no one on there that's actively annoying me, everyone seems pretty funny and they've had some nice tasks that give a lot of room for the contestants to do them differently. Good stuff.

Glad you're enjoying it, even if you're clearly so insanely wrong about Angella that you should be locked up for the rest of your remaining life and the key not just thrown away but destroyed, probably with a bomb or something.

Just watched episode 5 of the NZ show and Leigh's response to the unhealthy 10 seconds task had me cringing an enormous amount, but he did make me laugh. And just in case anyone isn't aware, Madeleine Sami co-directed, co-wrote and co-starred in the 2018 film The Breaker Upperers which I really liked a lot (and which Angella Dravid and Brynley Stent had small roles in), and would recommend it to all, even batshit mental people like BeardFaceMan.*

* ;)

Norton Canes

Hit and miss again this week, that chicken task was a bit gash but the final game was great. Sorry but shouldn't Catherine have been disqualified from the marble task because her marble technically stopped when it hit the end of the pipe?

Ja'moke

Episode 6 of Taskmaster NZ was great. That soup transporting task especially.

There's such a great chemistry between this cast. Also it helps there is a studio audience.

Got to say I'm surprised how many original tasks are in this; I expected most to be redos from the British version.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 26, 2020, 10:35:52 PM
Hit and miss again this week, that chicken task was a bit gash but the final game was great. Sorry but shouldn't Catherine have been disqualified from the marble task because her marble technically stopped when it hit the end of the pipe?

The first 25 minutes were pretty boring but it really hit its stride during Richard and Daisy's team task. I was beaming until the end of the episode.

Is it worth a separate thread for NZ/Norway/international Taskmasters?

SteveDave

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 26, 2020, 10:37:05 PM
Episode 6 of Taskmaster NZ was great. That soup transporting task especially.

There's such a great chemistry between this cast. Also it helps there is a studio audience.

I'm not sure how much of an audience there is- some of the laughs at the start of the latest episode felt looped.

Episode 6 was great though. I love Guy's extreme enthusiasm.

MigraineBoy

The more I watch the NZ one the more I think Leigh would've been better cast as Taskmaster. I've no knowledge of him so his hosting skills may be dogshit, but from his performance during the tasks and arguing his case in the studio, it seems he has a self-righteousness & the ability to go off on a whim that Jeremy seems to lack.

RFT

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 26, 2020, 10:35:52 PM
I'm surprised it wasn't challenged, but then Rich (who's generally the only one who does in this series) had already successfully challenged Mwaan's washing machine use.

It wouldn't have been a DQ, just the time cutting off at the first bounce.

Norton Canes

I guess there would still have been a miniscule amount of lateral movement even though there was no velocity in the line of travel. If physics.

kevinq

My landlord replaced a leaking toilet earlier this year with the exact model Johnny brought in, and it's true: the flush never works first time. Even if it's just a single bit of tissue paper. It must be the cheapest one you can buy.

kevinq

Something wider at the top than the bottom:
Spoiler alert
the moon on a stick
[close]

Captain Z

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 27, 2020, 10:07:28 AM
I guess there would still have been a miniscule amount of lateral movement even though there was no velocity in the line of travel. If physics.

And even though, theoretically, there is an instantaneous zero-velocity point when an object changes direction, it is next-to-impossible to actually measure that point.

jimboslice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 26, 2020, 07:57:02 PM
Glad you're enjoying it, even if you're clearly so insanely wrong about Angella that you should be locked up for the rest of your remaining life and the key not just thrown away but destroyed, probably with a bomb or something.

I thought she was a bit low energy at first, but she's now my favourite. The series as a whole has grown on me, and I like all the contestants (although Leigh Hart can be a bit half-arsed, and Guy Williams' "arrogance" doesn't always land). Still look forward to the UK one more though.

Was it a coincidence how they both wound up with a "Make something disappear" task? Both involving cows too.

Also thought Mawaan's marble task was going to end exactly the same way as Russell Howard's "spinning" task.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 26, 2020, 07:57:02 PM

Just watched episode 5 of the NZ show and Leigh's response to the unhealthy 10 seconds task had me cringing an enormous amount, but he did make me laugh. And just in case anyone isn't aware, Madeleine Sami co-directed, co-wrote and co-starred in the 2018 film The Breaker Upperers which I really liked a lot (and which Angella Dravid and Brynley Stent had small roles in), and would recommend it to all, even batshit mental people like BeardFaceMan.*

* ;)

She's like Joe Thomas squared, like she's too nervous to speak or she's constantly unsure of what's she's saying. Im 5 eps in and I've very nearly warmed to her, but she's not annoying me, so that counts. I think.

The only one I'm finding slightly annoying now is Guy, but thats only in the studio, weirdly, he's fine in the tasks. This is a good group of funny people. Rhys Darby is made for a show like this, isn't he?

Hank Venture

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 26, 2020, 09:30:33 AM
I think it translates really well, the prize task is sometimes a bit garbled or has references that I didn't get, but otherwise I'm very fond of it - and not just because I'm slightly in love with Maria. I actually like the relationship between Atle and Olli, sometimes the translation has gone a bit wrong but I think after the UK show they're the best presenters, and Atle is nicely vicious when it comes to the scoring too.

I think the prize task is the one part that is better in the Norwegian one than in the British one, as the unveil concept lends itself better to the comedy than everyone turning around and looking at the big screen. Some other differences I have noticed is that the Norwegian location seems to have lots more items (cement mixer, engines and motors, stuff from the shed). And the British contestans seem way less competitive: an example of this is the "don't blink" task, where Rhod Gilbert wins (?) with 7 minutes (won't spoilt how it goes with the Norwegian one, but it's the weirdest moment in all of Taskmaster that I've seen yet ...).

Maria's boyfriend joins in S2 I'm afraid :'(

holyzombiejesus

Can someone split the thread or request a split for the non-uk series please? I might well end up watching the Norwegian or New Zealand series and it'd be nice to go in fresh.

The lineup for the Christmas special is odd but could be fun:

John Hannah, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Nicola Coughlan, Rylan Clark-Neal and Shirley Ballas.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6089/taskmaster-special-line-up/amp/

Utter Shit

I don't know much about Shirley Ballas, but the other four suggest that could be really good. Rylan Clark-Neal is exactly the sort of naturally funny non-comic you want on a show like this.

I'm assuming this means that Greg James's now-deleted tweet means he'll be on a full series (though he's not in the lineup for 11).

notjosh

Maybe I'm overestimating the cultural cachet of appearing on Taskmaster, but for a one-off special I was hoping they could have pulled in some much more exciting names.

amateur

This should be fun.

Say what you like about Rylan, but he's that combination of charming and game that usually makes for a decent Taskmaster contestant.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 30, 2020, 04:03:52 PM
I'm assuming this means that Greg James's now-deleted tweet means he'll be on a full series (though he's not in the lineup for 11).

Has the line-up for Series 11 come out now?

olliebean

Quote from: notjosh on November 30, 2020, 04:05:05 PM
Maybe I'm overestimating the cultural cachet of appearing on Taskmaster, but for a one-off special I was hoping they could have pulled in some much more exciting names.

Well, at least I've heard of all five of them, which is more than the number of Strictly contestants I've usually heard of.

DrGreggles

Quote from: olliebean on November 30, 2020, 04:43:22 PM
Well, at least I've heard of all five of them, which is more than the number of Strictly contestants I've usually heard of.

I've heard of 2 of them (and 1 of those required a Google search), but I don't think it matters too much.
I hadn't heard of any of the NZ contestants, and I'm really enjoying that.

vainsharpdad

Fucking Rylan on Taskmaster is exactly the sort of wank people were dreading. The tidy-bearded, tooth-whitened crying on stage twat.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Not the most exciting group of contestants, although John Hannah is an intriguingly leftfield choice. I don't know anything about that Rylan bloke, save that I don't like his smug Made in Chelsea looking face, but maybe he's good.

It's just one episode, which will be a blessing if they're crap, but could also work against it. Part of the fun of the normal series is seeing the contestants coalesce as a group over several episodes. Will one episode be enough for them to establish that sort of chemistry?

Quote from: vainsharpdad on November 30, 2020, 05:28:07 PM
Fucking Rylan on Taskmaster is exactly the sort of wank people were dreading. The tidy-bearded, tooth-whitened crying on stage twat.

It's for a one-off so I'm struggling to get worked up about it. There's no sign of these types making it onto regular series (besides one big name, the lineup for 11 is going to baffle your average panel show viewer), so celebs appearing on the occasional special is fine with me. I imagine we'll start seeing them for Stand Up 2 Cancer at the like.

Purple Toupee

Rylan's a good guy, he'll be very game and a lot sharper than folk expect I think.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 30, 2020, 04:03:52 PM

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 30, 2020, 07:26:20 PM
It's for a one-off so I'm struggling to get worked up about it. There's no sign of these types making it onto regular series (besides one big name, the lineup for 11 is going to baffle your average panel show viewer), so celebs appearing on the occasional special is fine with me. I imagine we'll start seeing them for Stand Up 2 Cancer at the like.

inbox me hun