Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:09:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Green gone

Started by Flouncer, July 25, 2020, 05:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

Sad news... What a pioneer. Another casualty of Covid, perhaps?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53539989

Shit Good Nose

[tag]Oh well[/tag]

One of my favourite guitarists but, having seen him three times and been massively disappointed with two of them and merely whelmed with the other, I'm surprised he made it to 73 to be honest.

Still, an absolute beast in his day.  RIP.

SweetPomPoms

At least he got to watch his own tribute gig before he shuffled off. 73 is a miracle, all things considered.

Keebleman

I first heard of him in the mid-80s.  Photos of him from that time show a man absolutely on the bottom rung of whatever societal ladder you can think of.  In fact he looked as if ascending as high as the bottom rung was an unrealistic ambition.  Even other down-and-outs would have looked at him with pity.  That he recovered and lived for another 30 plus years and was able to build a modest career is a tribute to his resilience, or that of his handlers at any rate.

wosl

A real kick in the stomach (if not an utter surprise).  What can you say? Just one of the best rock blues guitarists ever, and a superbly heartfelt singer and songwriter on top. That three-pronged guitar FM line-up could induce shivers. Although I knew it was never going to happen (due mainly to Danny Kirwan's fragile state), while all the members were still with us I regularly used to fantasise about a reunion of the Then Play On config. They left some wonderful music.  RIP.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: wosl on July 25, 2020, 05:51:52 PM
A real kick in the stomach.  What can you say? Just one of the best rock blues guitarists ever, and a superbly heartfelt singer and songwriter on top. That three-pronged guitar FM line-up could induce shivers. Although I knew it was never going to happen (due mainly to Danny Kirwan's fragility and seeming complete lack of interest), while all the members were still with us I regularly used to fantasise about a reunion of the Then Play On config. They left some wonderful music.  RIP.

If we ignore the did-he-or-didn't-he? stuff about Jeremy Spencer, he's still a brilliant guitarist and has started playing blues and rock again in the last few years.  Not an easy one to pin down for a live show though.  I randomly (and accidentally) saw him playing with a group of local musicians in Glasgow a couple of years ago.  It was all old blues covers, but to see and hear him play electric slide again was quite something.

If only someone could convince Phil Keaggy to walk away from the Christian music scene a bit more often...

SweetPomPoms

Green was apparently still playing the occasional local pub gig until a couple of years ago. They managed to get Spencer to play a couple of covers at the Palladium thing in Feb, very understated but it was one of the highlights of the evening.

Nowhere Man

:(

Getting high and listening to Greatest hits on vinyl, in my mind of the all time best 'best ofs', chockfull of absolute classics. Some of his solo stuff like 'In The Skies' deserves a repeat listen too!

Keebleman

An account of the day Peter Green 'became ill'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZJCLce1cY&t=1s

And a cracking live performance of Oh Well to cheer us up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-C6p-GwHfA

Nowhere Man

Tim Smith and Peter Green gone in the same week. *Peter Kay voice* What were all that about?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 25, 2020, 06:35:04 PM
:(

Getting high and listening to Greatest hits on vinyl, in my mind of the all time best 'best ofs', chockfull of absolute classics. Some of his solo stuff like 'In The Skies' deserves a repeat listen too!

Yes this was my reaction to the news too. Generally shun best-ofs like an elitist knob but this one is great!

shagatha crustie

Quote from: Keebleman on July 25, 2020, 06:47:06 PM
An account of the day Peter Green 'became ill'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZJCLce1cY&t=1s

'That was the fork in the road...

[sombre pause]

...Buggers'

Retinend

He was one of the very best singer songwriters who ever lived, and really knew the guitar as an instrument. That's it. RIP.

timebug

Over the past thirty odd years, a long running argument has taken place between my Brother In law and myself. As a blues fan who discovered Peter Green on John Mayalls 'A Hard Road' album, (and the singles around that time) I was instantly a fan of the man, and of the band Peter formed when he left Mayall, which was of course Fleetwood Mac. Brother in law, being a non-blues fan, considers the Buckingham/Nicks line up of the band to be the 'real' Fleetwood Mac.
He raves about the album 'Rumours' and to a lesser extent 'Tusk'. I don't. But then after a long abscence from music owing to his health issues, Peter returned with the 'Splinter Group' line up, aided by his long time friend Nigel Watson. Following SG, Peter toured with various line ups, generally as Peter Green and friends. It didn't matter what the name of the band was, so long as Peter was there and playing.
Fans of Carlos Santana, ought to listen to the track 'The Supernatural' from Mayalls 'A Hard Road'.
Every note was magic when Peter played, and the spaces between the notes was equally important. Ask any decent musician. We all know supersonic guitar players who can play 'a million notes a minute' but they pale into insignificance beside the flowing, melodic lines of Peters playing. A large part of my musical life, he will be sadly missed by me.But I have the consolation of his recorded body of work, and will revisit them regularly,as I do in any case!
The Fleetwood Mac album 'Then Play On' which was the band's official third album, was unobtainable in some areas, due to demand from the die hard fans. I was lucky, I got it on the release day,thanks to a friendly local record dealer!
So play on Peter Green, and thank you for the many magical moments your music has given me during my life. You were truly an original.

Head Gardener

phoning in this great Fleetwood Mac tune done by The Rezillos R.I.P. PG

wosl

Quote from: timebug on July 26, 2020, 09:35:57 AMAs a blues fan who discovered Peter Green on John Mayalls 'A Hard Road' album, (and the singles around that time) I was instantly a fan of the man, and of the band Peter formed when he left Mayall, which was of course Fleetwood Mac. Brother in law, being a non-blues fan, considers the Buckingham/Nicks line up of the band to be the 'real' Fleetwood Mac.

He raves about the album 'Rumours' and to a lesser extent 'Tusk'. I don't.

I love both of those versions of the band, both 'real', and could never choose one over the other (Buckingham in his way was as much a guiding creative force as Green had been - Green himself was a Buckingham fan - and Stevie Nicks in prime full flow remains a absolute joy to listen to; Dreams rightly regularly hovers near the top of the rankings for FM songs of any and all periods).  The various line-ups that existed between the two most celebrated incarnations also did great stuff and ought to be seen as representing more than a 'transitional phase' - Bob Welch and Danny Kirwan (who both still get a bit overlooked whenever the documentary overviews are done) played off each other well, and Chris McVie had already perfected (heh) that easy-going, bittersweet-tinged songwriting and singing style of hers well before the eponymous/'white' album appeared (Show Me A Smile could slot right in on Rumours or as the closer on one of the sides of Tusk).  I'd rank Future Games among their top albums; the title track in particular builds thrillingly from a long, loping build-up.

Petey Pate

I thought he had been dead for years, so this news was more surprising to me than anything else. RIP

A girl I'm friends with on Facebook has made a couple of "r.i.p Pete :(" posts over the last couple of days; with the first one she shared Little Lies and with the second she shared that Never Going Back Again one from Rumours. Im dying to call her out but have held my tongue

gilbertharding

This company is fairly local to me, and whenever I saw their trucks, I thought 'Albatross'.

I'm sure someone will think it's inappropriate to post this here, and now - but I don't care. RIP Peter Green.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 30, 2020, 12:10:21 PM
This company is fairly local to me, and whenever I saw their trucks, I thought 'Albatross'.

I'm sure someone will think it's inappropriate to post this here, and now - but I don't care. RIP Peter Green.

Nah, I've always thought the same.  They're reasonably local to me too.  Before his comeback in the 90s, whenever I saw a Peter Green truck I (knowingly) told myself that it was good he was still getting an income from something.

momatt

Quote from: Misspent Boners on July 30, 2020, 06:10:11 AM
A girl I'm friends with on Facebook has made a couple of "r.i.p Pete :(" posts over the last couple of days; with the first one she shared Little Lies and with the second she shared that Never Going Back Again one from Rumours. Im dying to call her out but have held my tongue

This is tragic but really funny.
You could definitely have some fun with that.
:D