Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,497
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:50:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird Cameos in stuff.

Started by Fr.Bigley, July 26, 2020, 11:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 31, 2020, 12:02:58 PM
Well, Dex already mentioned Larry Blackmon in Born In East LA on page 1.  Which is about halfway there.

Thought Cameo was a mononym not a band, hat fucked.

James Brown (as an alien???) in Miami Vice.

Cold Meat Platter

David Baddiel in Run Ronnie Run! the Mr Show film. I wonder what the fuck that was about. Bob and David big Baddiel's Syndrome fans?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 31, 2020, 12:54:09 PM
David Baddiel in Run Ronnie Run! the Mr Show film. I wonder what the fuck that was about. Bob and David big Baddiel's Syndrome fans?

Morwenna Banks had just made a film with the director of RRR.

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on July 26, 2020, 06:21:17 PM
Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys was in the Equalizer but sadly I can't find a good clip of it.

That episode was on Forces TV quite recently.

Jim Dale plays his Dad.

Glebe

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 31, 2020, 10:51:38 AMIn the reverse of the remit of this thread, it always amused me that John Landis gave quite a substantial role, almost a co- lead,to Ronnie Corbett in his crap film about those lovable graverobbers and murderers " Burke and Hare".

Apparently John Landis had become a fan of The Two Rons during his stay in the UK shooting American Werewolf. Corbett said in an interview (probably around the time Burke and Hare was released) that Landis wanted Ronnie Barker to play the Denholm Elliot butler role in Trading Places, but Barker would only do it if they shot it in London.

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on July 26, 2020, 06:21:17 PMAd Rock from the Beastie Boys was in the Equalizer but sadly I can't find a good clip of it.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 31, 2020, 07:38:00 PMJim Dale plays his Dad.

No way!

Oz Oz Alice

I didn't know that was Jim Dale! That's fantastic casting.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on August 01, 2020, 01:51:25 AM
Apparently John Landis had become a fan of The Two Rons during his stay in the UK shooting American Werewolf. Corbett said in an interview (probably around the time Burke and Hare was released) that Landis wanted Ronnie Barker to play the Denholm Elliot butler role in Trading Places, but Barker would only do it if they shot it in London.

No way!
Apparently, it was earlier, while he was writing an early draft of Spy Who Loved Me.

Brundle-Fly

Ian lavender playing Gary Sparrow's son, Michael in the Goodnight Sweetheart episode My Heart Belongs To Daddy. This cameo was a subtle stroke of genius. We will always associate Lavender as Private Pike from Dad's Army. In our minds he is more or less forever trapped in the 1940s as the epitome of a callow youth among a parade of men stepping up to the plate in their late autumnal years. And here he is in the present world (1998 actually) shambling into Gary's shop, a grey-haired, middle-aged man. There's a juicy irony there. God, I'm profound this morning.

But you might only exclusively associate Ian Lavender as Pauline Fowlers', friend, Derek Harkinson from EastEnders or maybe as the hapless Clive Cuncliffe from the Mollie Sugden 1977 sit-com, Come Back Mrs Noah therefore that fucks my insightful observation then.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on August 01, 2020, 09:17:01 AMApparently, it was earlier, while he was writing an early draft of Spy Who Loved Me.

Ah, right.

Cerys

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 31, 2020, 11:29:27 AM
Did anyone ask Cameo to do a bit-part just for the obvious wordplayup fun?

phantom_power

Quote from: famethrowa on July 30, 2020, 12:13:20 AM
It is weird, and it's a cameo, I'm talkin Tim Heidecker in Bridesmaids. Barely does or says anything, he's just standing there.

He also turns up in that shit Fantastic Four reboot

JaDanketies

He was in horror movie Us too, with June from the Handmaid's Tale as his wife.

phantom_power

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 04, 2020, 03:36:05 PM
He was in horror movie Us too, with June from the Handmaid's Tale as his wife.

That was more of a main role though. He was in Bridesmaids and F4 for about 5 minutes total

frajer

Quote from: phantom_power on August 04, 2020, 03:50:11 PM
That was more of a main role though. He was in Bridesmaids and F4 for about 5 minutes total

And for a few minutes in Ant-Man and the Wasp, purely to piss off Gregg 'Ant-Man' Turkington.

Marner and Me

There are two films I can think of (Zombieland and Ted) where the film goes off on a tangent about an old 80s film or actor (Bill Murray, Sam Jones) Both were too long to be a cameo, however I think it could also go into film cliches that can fuck off. I think there are more films that do this, but I can't recall them.

Oz Oz Alice

I know it barely counts but Beyoncé performing at Glastonbury and Tricky appearing for some unfathomable reason, murmuring and swaying strangely then disappearing again never fails to make me laugh: https://youtu.be/JVlLK_K8Dcg

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 04, 2020, 04:54:08 PM
There are two films I can think of (Zombieland and Ted) where the film goes off on a tangent about an old 80s film or actor (Bill Murray, Sam Jones) Both were too long to be a cameo, however I think it could also go into film cliches that can fuck off. I think there are more films that do this, but I can't recall them.

As a nod to Flash Gordon, the original idea with Sam Jones in Ted was to have him very badly dubbed with a completely unsuitable voice and also slightly out of synch, but IIRC MacFarlane eventually decided against it as being too much of a kick in the balls for Jones.  I think there's potential for that to have been a pretty funny meta joke and would have off-set the cliche (although I don't think Jones' cameo is actually that bad, at least as far as "I'M PLAYING A VERSION OF MYSELF, WINK" cameos go), but equally fair play to MacFarlane for giving Jones a break and also obvious genuine fondness and respect for him.

Gulftastic

Speaking of Murray cameos, his short bit as the pervy dental patient in 'Little Shop Of Horrors' is some of the finest film thievery ever.

JaDanketies

Did ya know George Clooney plays the doctor who accidentally replaces Kenny's heart with a baked potato on the South Park movie?  I once saw that get a pointless on Pointless.

Other good cartoon movie Pointless answers include Beavis and Butthead Do America, where Bruce Willis and Demi Moore play the 'baddies'.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 04, 2020, 07:46:26 PM
Did ya know George Clooney plays the doctor who accidentally replaces Kenny's heart with a baked potato on the South Park movie?  I once saw that get a pointless on Pointless.

Other good cartoon movie Pointless answers include Beavis and Butthead Do America, where Bruce Willis and Demi Moore play the 'baddies'.

Clooney played Stan's gay dog too. They got a load of celebs asking to be in South Park when it took off and in typical SP style, they wanted to bring them in and just have them make barking noises and the like. Clooney was game, but when Jerry Seinfeld asked to be in SP and they offered him a role as a turkey in a Thanksgiving episode to just make gobbling noises, he refused.

frajer

Heh I remember Stone and Parker talking about that at the time. They offered him the role of 'Turkey Number Two'.
Jerry's agent's response: "This is Jerry Seinfeld! Couldn't he be Turkey Number One?"

Phil_A

Quote from: phantom_power on August 04, 2020, 03:50:11 PM

In Fantfourstic it's more like five seconds. I assume there must've been a lot more footage Trank filmed that got binned.

TheMonk

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 26, 2020, 06:24:02 PM
Sgt. Bob Cryer off The Bill in Dunkirk

Is that all he does, walk past the window? I hope so.

Also Phil Collins with a moustache in Hook.

phantom_power

Hasselhoff in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well, though there is a plot/character reason for his inclusion

BeardFaceMan

Dr Who in historical sitcom Chelmsford 123.

Hand Solo

Morrie from Goodfellas copying Pupkin's gestures from the background in The King Of Comedy.

rilk

Run For Your Wife

QuoteCameo roles (alphabetical)

Russ Abbot – Hospital patient
Robin Askwith – Bus driver
Lynda Baron – Nurse
Richard Briers – Newspaper seller
Tony Britton – Man on bus
Jess Conrad – Piano player
Tom Conti – Actor
Wendy Craig – Nanny
Bernard Cribbins – Hospital patient