Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:57:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird Cameos in stuff.

Started by Fr.Bigley, July 26, 2020, 11:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageHedgehog

I misread the earlier comments about Trigger being in Fiddler on the Roof as being about Tigger.

Also predictive text just have me Toddler on the Roof, which would be a fun concept for a movie.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

QDRPHNC

Marilyn Manson in Eastbound and Down

Shit Good Nose

Todd Solondz and his dialogue-less brief appearance as "man on bus" in As Good As It Gets.  I know Lawrence Kasdan, Harold Ramis and Shane Black also appear, but they all have dialogue and links (either professionally or socially) to James L Brooks.  Solondz isn't even mentioned on its Wiki page.

QDRPHNC

Along those lines, the young teen protagonists from Moonrise Kingdom show up as young twentysomethings on a bus for one scene in Paterson. Which is strange but also kind of adorable.

Absorb the anus burn

Sebastian Cobb

Sophie Wilson (instrumental in various Acorn/ARM stuff) had a cameo as a barmaid in Micro Men.

George White

Quote from: I.D. Smith on July 29, 2020, 12:33:12 PM
I think the only reason it happened was because he was in Australia filming Full Circle at the time, and he happened to be near where they filmed (Summer Bay), so since he was in the area at the time he managed to bag himself a cameo (or they asked him)
See also Clive Anderson doing an Indian soap opera. It ws on Tarrant on TV.

Andy147

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 27, 2020, 11:20:18 AM
Alan Bennett in 'Family Guy'. Still can't quite believe that really happened.

John Finnemore had a small part in one episode of Family Guy, and judging by his comments on RHLSTP (I think it was), even he doesn't know why.

famethrowa

It is weird, and it's a cameo, I'm talkin Tim Heidecker in Bridesmaids. Barely does or says anything, he's just standing there.

Glebe

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 26, 2020, 05:05:54 PM2 members of Carcass as young Lister's band-mates in Red Dwarf.

Indeed.

Here's the two lads reminiscing about it:

CARCASS | Jeff Walker & Bill Steer on their cameo roles in Red Dwarf.

And here's Bill (during his Napalm Death stint) chatting to Craig Charles:

Napalm Death Rare Lee and Bill 1989 What's That Noise BBC Pt 1.

Also, not cameos but:

Carcass name checked in "Friends".

Carcass name checked in "Friends" again.

Meanwhile, the song 'Captive Bolt Pistol' was used in an episode of Elementary.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: famethrowa on July 30, 2020, 12:13:20 AM
It is weird, and it's a cameo, I'm talkin Tim Heidecker in Bridesmaids. Barely does or says anything, he's just standing there.

A similar weird cameo is made by Charlie from " It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" 's Mum, who plays Maya Rudolph's mum in this ( I mean Maya Rudolph's character's mum, she doesn't actually play Minnie Ripperton), but , again, doesn't actually say anything, she's just there in a couple of short scenes, reacting to Kirsten Wiig going mental and stuff.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Glebe on July 30, 2020, 02:52:36 AM
Indeed.

Here's the two lads reminiscing about it:

CARCASS | Jeff Walker & Bill Steer on their cameo roles in Red Dwarf.

And here's Bill (during his Napalm Death stint) chatting to Craig Charles:

Napalm Death Rare Lee and Bill 1989 What's That Noise BBC Pt 1.

Also, not cameos but:

Carcass name checked in "Friends".

Carcass name checked in "Friends" again.

Meanwhile, the song 'Captive Bolt Pistol' was used in an episode of Elementary.

You'd think in that interview, Jeff Walker would have at some point said " I'm popular CaB contributor Lisa Jesusandmarychain's cousin, y'know" in his endearing Ringo Starr voice.

It always amused me as a kid to see Brucie randomly turn up in a scene in Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

JaDanketies

I wonder if Carcass are the second-biggest band to ever come out of Liverpool. Top ten at least.

I used to work caring for mentally-ill people and one of them saw Craig Charles rehearsing his lines in a pub while they were on some outing. They are clearly a lovely but vulnerable person and they went over to Craig Charles and told him that they loved him in Corrie, and he never gave them the time of day.

Another mildly-uninteresting anecdote / fact - so Carcass are the biggest heavy metal band from Liverpool. Birmingham - well obviously Black Sabbath, but also Napalm Death. Suffolk - Cradle of Filth. London - Led Zeppelin, but also Iron Maiden. But Manchester - England's second city? The biggest heavy metal band to come out of Manchester are slam-death-metallers Ingested. The second-biggest are black metallers Winterfylleth.

My theory about why all these other British cities have heavy metal bands that are many times more successful than any Manchester heavy metal band will ever be is that, during the early days of extreme metal, Manchester was deep in the Madchester scene and missed the boat. And I don't think heavy metal will ever be big enough again for Ingested to become as popular as Carcass.

Gulftastic

My go to is always Moxie out off of 'Auf Wiedersehn, Pet' being the thug who says 'What are you??' to Batman in the first Tim Burton film. Got him on the Prince soundtrack album too.

Pet, Batman, Prince. I can't think of anyone who's hit three of my favourite things that are so different.

ajsmith2

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 29, 2020, 06:26:29 PM
Along those lines, the young teen protagonists from Moonrise Kingdom show up as young twentysomethings on a bus for one scene in Paterson. Which is strange but also kind of adorable.

Along similar lines is the mini 'Taste Of Honey' (1961) reunion scene six years later in 'Smashing Time' (1967):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSh7ihYuUHY

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 30, 2020, 11:16:33 AM
My go to is always Moxie out off of 'Auf Wiedersehn, Pet' being the thug who says 'What are you??' to Batman in the first Tim Burton film. Got him on the Prince soundtrack album too.

Pet, Batman, Prince. I can't think of anyone who's hit three of my favourite things that are so different.

Not all that weird but I quite liked Spall's cameo in Red Dwarf as the VR technician in Red Dwarf's despair squid episode.

"Are yow seriously tellin' me you've been playin the prat version of Rimmer all that time?"

Shit Good Nose

I don't know if this really counts as he was a jobbing actor/extra at the time and hadn't even started his comedy-music career yet, but Tony Hawks as gawping onlooker in the Eiffel Tower restaurant in A View To A Kill.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

David Schneider was well established on " The Day Today " and them " Armistice" probs before showing up v. briefly in the film " The Saint" ( 1997). Didn't he also feature for about two seconds as a panicked train driver or something in another big budget film around the same time?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 30, 2020, 03:16:45 PM
David Schneider was well established on " The Day Today " and them " Armistice" probs before showing up v. briefly in the film " The Saint" ( 1997). Didn't he also feature for about two seconds as a panicked train driver or something in another big budget film around the same time?

Mission Impossible.

ajsmith2

Rik Mayall in Am Amercian Werewolf In London

JaDanketies

Newgrounds.com creator Tom Fulp got mauled in Toxic Avenger IV

Bad Ambassador

Although it makes perfect sense for them to be there, the appearances as themselves by Robert Webb, Alan Carr, Frank Skinner and Lee Mack in National Treasure - a drama about an aging entertainer accused of historical sex abuse - are a bit out of their usual arenae.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 30, 2020, 03:16:45 PM

Also in the opening scene of 28 Days Later.

famethrowa

Would just like to mention Boba Fett's "cameo" in the first Star Wars. He's not even in the movie, but just walks past and looks right down the camera. Shithouse.

Mr Farenheit

Jerry Lee Lewis in TJ Hooker

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 30, 2020, 03:25:12 PM

Also turns up in Shock Treatment, Richard O'Brien's follow up to Rocky Horror,  in I guess what you might describe as an extended cameo (he even gets to sing for a bit) though he's not that great in it alas.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 30, 2020, 03:25:12 PM

Invited on set by John Landis, who'd seen The Dangerous Brothers live in London, and was quite impressed by them. Unfortunately, didn't actually have a part for Rik, hence his lack of lines. Ade Edmosnson had also been invited onset, but couldn't be arsed turning up.

In the reverse of the remit of this thread, it always amused me that John Landis gave quite a substantial role, almost a co- lead,to Ronnie Corbett in his crap film about those lovable graverobbers and murderers " Burke and Hare".

Sebastian Cobb

Did anyone ask Cameo to do a bit-part just for the obvious wordplay fun?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 31, 2020, 11:29:27 AM
Did anyone ask Cameo to do a bit-part just for the obvious wordplay fun?

Well, Dex already mentioned Larry Blackmon in Born In East LA on page 1.  Which is about halfway there.