Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck this forum.

Started by Kryton, July 26, 2020, 12:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

People are right about this place turning into an echo chamber. I know for a fact I'm not alone in those views.

People jumping down your throat with all sorts of hurtful and nasty accusations for simply trying to get involved and understand certain topics. People automatically assuming the worst, misquoting you, shitty fucking pile-ons. The slow rise of the authoritarian stance  'you can't talk about that if you're this' kind of shit. The bullying and wishing people dead or wishing harm on people for having the 'wrong' views. Some really nasty, hateful shit.

There's some really decent people here, you know who you are - but there's also a horrible, toxic pile of bastards who make it infuriating to have conversations without jumping to some conclusion - The next time people jump straight to the defensive and use childish terms like sealioning or whatever stupid terms are bandied about -maybe consider that not everyone is out to get you. You don't help yourselves by tearing people apart for asking questions.

I've always struggled with the way I speak, so maybe next time consider that not everyone is as good at formulating their thoughts or has pretty prose or can elucidate themselves as clearly as they want to. People make mistakes, but that's no fucking reason to shit on people because they're not up to your self-defined standards.

Fuck you and fuck this place.

bgmnts

What the fuck is that last paragraph about? Pretty prose?

wooders1978

It has got quite toxic on here of late, I agree

It used to be the funniest place on the internet a few years back imo but it seems to have morphed away from being a comedy forum and is now, well whatever it is now, lots of it isn't funny and there are a few who are dragging the place down - just my opinion

Captain Z

Quote from: Kryton on July 26, 2020, 12:41:07 PM
There's some really decent people here, you know who you are

Thanks!

Oz Oz Alice

People are right about this place turning into an echo chamber.

turning into an echo chamber.

into an echo chamber.

echo chamber.

echo chamber.

echo.

Sorry I've no idea what you said, there's a massive echo. The acoustics in this forum are ridiculous it's like being in a dub record

phes

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 26, 2020, 12:48:12 PM
It has got quite toxic on here of late, I agree

It used to be the funniest place on the internet a few years back imo but it seems to have morphed away from being a comedy forum and is now, well whatever it is now, lots of it isn't funny and there are a few who are dragging the place down - just my opinion

don't perceive a huge downtown in humour here right now, despite my best efforts. If there were, it wouldn't be a huge leap to link it how dreadful life has been for so many people for several months

GoblinAhFuckScary

i am leibing dis grop

---

Think it's quite nice here tho.

Johnny Yesno

Actually, whoever this thread is addressed to, it would be great if you could fuck me first. Thx

Wonderful Butternut

JaDanketies

I like it here.

Sometimes forums change, sometimes people change. Who knows what the case is here - I'm a n00b. In the past I would've happily been involved in forums that had discussions involving outright racists - now I would be turned off by it.

This place being a good repository of Glinner-related information and conversation has likely drawn some lefties, trans people and their allies to it. Doesn't seem like the admins have a problem with it.

anyway peace

Emma Raducanu

Don't let Glinner be the end of things. Have a cup of coffee, go for a walk, come back, have a biscuit. Watch the last games of the season.

JaDanketies

I'm pretty confident that, in the past, if you visited this forum and said 'perhaps austerity is good and necessary' you would've been shut down even harder.

Also I think people are becoming a little bit jaded with the value of e-arguing nowadays. Perhaps the people who came here from Twitter are fleeing that kind of atmosphere.

JesusAndYourBush

That's why I try and stay out of heavy threads (on this forum and elsewhere).  It's not worth the hassle.  It's easy to go down the "someone else on the internet is wrong" road, but ultimately it just expends a lot of time and anger and it's not fun.  Occasionally I find myself writing out a post and realise it's not worth the hassle and click back.

So don't leave, just develop a better bullshit detector.

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 26, 2020, 01:02:29 PM

This place being a good repository of Glinner-related information and conversation has likely drawn some lefties, trans people and their allies to it. Doesn't seem like the admins have a problem with it.

anyway peace

I've been lurking and reading the forum for ages, and if anyone thinks it's toxic and unfriendly now you'd have ran screaming and crying ten years ago (how did I procrastinate that long before signing up properly, it's insane I know). Quite the opposite: I'd say rather than being a toxic environment it's intolerant only towards the intolerant. If you're espousing backwards racist, homophobic, transphobic etc views then you deserve to be ridiculed. Simple as that. Seeing Linehan get the treatment he deserves made me finally want to get involved.

Dex Sawash

At least most everyone seems to have gotten a little bit of sleep at some point. Very encouraging stuff.

bgmnts

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 26, 2020, 01:06:57 PM
I'm pretty confident that, in the past, if you visited this forum and said 'perhaps austerity is good and necessary' you would've been shut down even harder.

Also I think people are becoming a little bit jaded with the value of e-arguing nowadays. Perhaps the people who came here from Twitter are fleeing that kind of atmosphere.

I'm actually quite glad this is a place that doesn't put up with any of that shit.

Kelvin

I do think you've been a bit hard done by in that thread, Kryton. I think some people could do with remembering the adage "You catch more flies with honey", and you're right; it did rather illustrate that there are some topics that are hard to discuss on here without passions getting very fired up. I think there's a difference between someone expressing opinions in bad faith and people expressing opinions out of ignorance. I believe Kryton clearly fell into the latter camp, and should have been given the benefit of the doubt. You cannot expect everyone to come to a topic like this with all arguments known and all the positions agreed - trans issues only entered mainstream discourse fairly recently. The phrases some people use, the positions they start from, the things they take for granted, are all based on a transphobic society, but that doesn't mean that - like all of us - they can't learn if they're open-minded and compassionate. Someone else, also uninformed, that has sincere questions about those issues, will read that thread, be terrified to ask, and carry on in ignorance. 

Other points:

a) The forum has always been like this. In fact it used to be far, far more abrasive and unforgiving. So I don't really buy all this stuff about it being more suited to discussion in the past. Some subjects have always been a trial by fire.

b) some people in that thread have been affected by the issues, or at the very least, seen the harm that ignorance and genuine hatred can cause, so it's hardly surprising that people quickly get angry. That other poster who turned up recently was definitely not posting in good faith, so I suspect that contributed to the short shrift Kryton received.

Take a break if you want, Kryton, or at the very least, just leave that thread now. You've not been tarred and feathered, even if a handful of people might be angry with you. It can feel like an echo chamber at times, but really its just some voices shouting louder and more passionately than others. You aren't hated on here. You aren't going to be treated like shit for ever more. You aren't going to be looked down on. Just move on from that thread, and have a look into those issues online - ideally listening to Trans people before reaching any opinions.       

Endicott

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on July 26, 2020, 01:10:13 PM
I've been lurking and reading the forum for ages, and if anyone thinks it's toxic and unfriendly now you'd have ran screaming and crying ten years ago (how did I procrastinate that long before signing up properly, it's insane I know). Quite the opposite: I'd say rather than being a toxic environment it's intolerant only towards the intolerant. If you're espousing backwards racist, homophobic, transphobic etc views then you deserve to be ridiculed. Simple as that. Seeing Linehan get the treatment he deserves made me finally want to get involved.

Agree 100%.

TrenterPercenter

Kelvin could you just be a bit clearer on who you mean regarding....
Quote from: Kelvin on July 26, 2020, 01:25:57 PM
That other poster who turned up recently was definitely not posting in good faith, so I suspect that contributed to the short shrift Kryton received.       

As i don't think you are talking about me but it is a bit unclear as to who you mean (you don't need to name them if you prefer but say not Trents).

Unless it is me you are talking about? In which case we will have to settle this the old navy way.

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 26, 2020, 01:35:17 PM
As i don't think you are talking about me but it is a bit unclear as to who you mean (you don't need to name them if you prefer but say not Trents).

Unless it is me you are talking about? In which case we will have to settle this the old navy way.

My guess is Olav Magnus Moksheim, who is just as opposed to BLM as he is to White Pride

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There's some really decent people here, you know who you are -

Yeah, cheers.

Kelvin

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 26, 2020, 01:35:17 PM

I don't mean you. I meant that new poster that turned up just to be a transphobic cunt in the Linehan threads. I can't find them at a glance, and I'm about to eat.

Sin Agog

This place is more like an anechoic chamber if anything.  It could at least do with a boingy noise effect every time you click on a 'this poster' link.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'd also like to say there are some really likeable, understanding, good folk on here, they know who they are.

I'd also like to give a big shout out to the boys and girls of CaB who are also suffering from Alzheimer's, they don't know who they are.

Endicott

I've always struggled with the way I speak, so maybe next time consider that not everyone is as good at formulating their thoughts or has pretty prose or can elucidate themselves as clearly as they want to. People make mistakes, but that's no fucking reason to shit on people because they're not up to your self-defined standards.

You popped up a few days ago in the glinner thread, saying how you didn't think what glinner had done really merited seven 100 page threads. The full extent of glinner's bullying was pointed out to you, and you admitted you didn't really read the threads and that you were not yourself aware of what he'd been doing.

In the glinner moderators thread, which has kicked of this latest round of your anger, you admitted again that you don't read threads before barging in. Your questions about women's sports and some other things had already been answered, not only one million times in the various other threads, but in that very thread they'd been answered by JaDanketies. But I just know that you never read those posts, did you?

Every time, you ask where on the internet you should look, when the answers are already in the threads that you're shitting up. You act like this forum owes it to you to politely answer anything you ask, but at the same time you show absolutely no willing to do any legwork yourself. Maybe understand that what you think is your hot take is very very boring for those that have invested their time in that topic.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Anyway, nobody on 'ere seems arsed about C P Lee dying, I bet there won't even be an episode of " Teach Yourself Gibberish" on the telly in tribute, so fuck the lot of yers.

chveik

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 26, 2020, 12:57:38 PM
Actually, whoever this thread is addressed to, it would be great if you could fuck me first. Thx

alright then. do you have your helmet on?

idunnosomename

The old days, you say you like Ross Noble, CaB threw you in jail

ProvanFan

Barry Admin

People are right about this place turning into an echo chamber. I know for a fact I'm not alone in those views.

I haven't caught up on that thread yet today as I did actually manage to sleep, but I'd say it's a damn shame if you're letting other people ruin this place for you.

"Keep it safe. Keep it neutral." - remember you had that in your profile text? No offence, but this isn't the first time you've got upset at CaB, and hopefully it won't be the last. You've previously found CaB enjoyable by deliberately keeping away from more passionate debates where tempers can and do rise, so maybe try that again after a wee break.