Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Olivia de Havilland is Gone with the Wind

Started by kalowski, July 26, 2020, 05:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

shiftwork2

Sin Agog

Ah, that's a drag.  Those Errol Flynn movies were some of the first films I got into of my own accord (as opposed to just watching what was on).  Her sister Joan had the foxier eyebrows, but they were both great actresses. It's a shame she and Flynn made one of the dodgiest movies of the era, Santa Fe Trail, which positions abolitionists as rabid terrorist scum who can't just let the southern plantation owners slowly make up their own minds at their own pace.  John Brown is the movie's Bin Laden, and all the slaveowners are essentially decent, honest folk.  Errol Flynn literally did slave trading in his youth at Papua New Guinea so I'm not surprised he made that piece of shit, but I wonder if de Havilland ever had any qualms.  I guess you just did whatever you were assigned in those days.  Maybe that movie was one of the things that inspired her to spearhead the 'De Havilland law': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Law

Um, anyway, RIP.

Gulftastic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Chedney Honks

Keebleman

Last of the Golden Age.  The last.  With her passing, no significant personnel from Hollywood's classic period remain.

Pingers

One of the most glamorous names of all time if you ask me

Butchers Blind

shiftwork2

Nah, she was 138.  She had a good innings.

Apparently she put on a lot of weight in the last few years so will be Olivia de Heavyload for the poor buggers carrying the coffin.

Jittlebags

Sparks:

"I'm telling you, gone with the wind
There's a lot to be said for it
But I don't know just what
Without spoiling the plot
Gone with the wind - there's a lot to be said for it
But I don't know just what
We didn't watch a lot
But I couldn't say just what
All I did was bruise a lot
But I couldn't say just what
They don't tell my type the plot"

hamfist

Buelligan

dissolute ocelot

No mention in any of the obits I saw of her role alongside Ronald Reagan in creating the Hollywood anti-communist witchhunts and blacklists in the late 40s.

Didn't know until now she was related to the de Havilland aircraft family. (Fontaine was her birth surname.)

Paul Calf

That's someone old enough to remember the war, Boomer cunts. 104. So fuck your Blitz Sprit, cunts.

touchingcloth

Gone with the Wind was released in 1939.

One way to look at that is that it's 81 years ago, but another is that it's 78 years from the start of the civil war it depicts. Fuck my bonnet.

Buelligan

So she was 61 when she starred in that. 

shiftwork2

Uh-oh, somebody can't add up.  She was 57.

Buelligan

She altered the papers, I've studied them, in those days, if you were a lady, you were finished by the time you hit 80.

Here she is, as a child actor, in her first part -

Fourteen year old Ollie in The Thick of It

idunnosomename

Never heard of her. What a waste of a life.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I really fancied her in that teen lesbian thing she did in the mid noughties.