Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:47:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Over 40s to pay more tax.

Started by bgmnts, July 26, 2020, 06:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/26/uk-ministers-looking-at-plans-to-raise-taxes-for-over-40s-to-pay-for-social-care

QuoteUnder the plan over-40s would have to pay more in tax or national insurance, or be compelled to insure themselves against hefty bills for care when they are older.

Sin Agog

QuoteThe money raised would then be used to pay for the help that frail elderly people need with washing, dressing and other activities if they were still at home or their stay in a care home.

Can I skip the tax if I refrain from washing and dressing?

Johnny Yesno

The tories direct the burden away from the wealthy. What a surprise.

Noodle Lizard

This is really bizarre. The kind of thing an idle sixth-former might come up with when rushing their economics homework. Is there another country that has anything similar in place? Has it ever been proven effective?

bgmnts

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 26, 2020, 06:41:03 PM
This is really bizarre. The kind of thing an idle sixth-former might come up with when rushing their economics homework. Is there another country that has anything similar in place? Has it ever been proven effective?

According to the article:

QuoteIn Japan everyone starts contributing once they reach 40. In Germany everyone pays something towards that cost from the time they start working, and pensioners contribute too. Currently 1.5% of every person's salary, and a further 1.5% from employers or pension funds, are ringfenced to pay for care in later life.

It's a 'modified version' of these systems, apparently. Fuck knows, really. Seems silly that this done at an age level and not an income level but we are so far down the shitter who cares at this point.

Bence Fekete

I was only born yesterday, so none of this will apply to me for absolutely fucking ages.

BlodwynPig

Happy to, if the money goes to those that need it most and lifts British society out of the malaise it has resided in for two decades.

Gulftastic

I'll pay it if it means there'll be someone to look after me in my old age. As much as I'd like it to be paid for by higher taxes on rich fuckers that's never going to happen.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bgmnts on July 26, 2020, 06:45:26 PM
According to the article:

It's a 'modified version' of these systems, apparently. Fuck knows, really. Seems silly that this done at an age level and not an income level but we are so far down the shitter who cares at this point.

To be fair, I can't scroll down to read the full article for some reason, so I'm relying on you lot to explain it to me.

QuoteIn Germany everyone pays something towards that cost from the time they start working

See, I thought this already happened. I assumed it was just built into "taxes".

I also know next to fuckall about economics. I really shouldn't be here.

Blinder Data

A step in the right direction.

Let's hear it for paying more tax! Awwwwwooooooggaa!

Pink Gregory

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2020, 06:52:26 PM
Happy to, if the money goes to those that need it most and lifts British society out of the malaise it has resided in for two decades.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*weeping*

idunnosomename

chveik

that's what I call a boomer plague

Butchers Blind

Uncle TechTip

In 20 years the care will be given by private contractors so it will be substandard, without compassion and they'll probably find a way to charge again when you actually need it.

olliebean

QuoteOfficials are looking into the exact mechanism by which over-40s would pay – whether through a payroll tax or insurance. But social care experts cautioned that any insurance model would have to be compulsory to ensure people paid.

There it is. This is the beginning of moving us over from single-payer healthcare to a personal insurance healthcare system.

ollyboro

What if I get to 85 and I'm still capable of knocking one out without relying on a care worker to give me a bath time Mr Matey (pink bottle) froth wank ? Would I get a refund?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 26, 2020, 07:05:51 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*weeping*

I thought centrist reason was all the rage now on here.

Cloud

Great... 2 years to try and bag a decent pay rise (or more likely another job, as a refusal often offends)

Trouble is I really don't fancy trying to compete in the post-Covid job market.  At least it's easier when you already have a job, assuming that remains the case

Buelligan

I'd pay good money not to go into a care home if I'm honest.

https://youtu.be/eqRUy-DNS2Q

dissolute ocelot

They could combine it with student debt payments till 40 and just raise taxes your whole life.

My mother is adamant that I should kill her[nb]The exact request is for a ticket to Dignitas but in the current environment it might have to be shotgun in the woodshed[/nb] rather than put her into a home. Can I get her share of the pot?

Buelligan

Send her to me for a holiday if you like, I'll pop her in the cold room with the others.

Shit Good Nose

A VERY tricky tightrope this one.

On the one hand it makes sense and is probably a GOOD THING in the long run - I've known very comfortably well-off people have their finances (which they'd spent 50-odd years building up with a view to helping their surviving family members) destroyed in no time at all when they've had to go into care, and then have to try and sort out alternative care and living arrangements when that money has run out whilst they're still alive and kicking (I've known one person whose death was almost certainly caused by the stress of it) and those costs being passed on to family members who can't really afford it either.  On the other, it's another step towards getting shot of the NHS cos it's "outdated" and replacing it with the American style private health care system, which will be even more expensive than the current provisions (and pretty much guaranteed to be a lot worse).  Even then, when enough taxes are being collected, what chance really is there of the tories providing 100% funded social care in future? (rhetorical)

Unfortunately there's no real right or easy answer to this one given that about 80p in every £1 is now spent on social care - not even "just tax the rich" will resolve it.

Whichever way you look at it, EVERYONE needs to be paying more tax one way or another - years of tax freezes and (relative) reductions have harmed us financially almost as much as austerity.  Whilst we're at it, maybe it's finally time to close some of the national insurance loopholes that let some self employed people only pay about £1.50 a month.

But all of this just backs up the theory that the tories have been keen on herd immunity during covid so a big chunk of the population would be permanently wiped off the books - the more olds, disableds and vulnerables that cark it during all this, the better.

Pinball

Of course, the thread title and ministerial discussion SHOULD be 'Corporations to pay more corporation tax'.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 27, 2020, 11:48:51 AM
Whilst we're at it, maybe it's finally time to close some of the national insurance loopholes that let some self employed people only pay about £1.50 a month.
OK, but can we only work for 11 months of the year while getting paid for 12 like employees do please?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on July 27, 2020, 01:12:08 PM
OK, but can we only work for 11 months of the year while getting paid for 12 like employees do please?

But employees still pay full tax and NI for that month of holiday, and most (certainly those in the public sector) also get paid slightly less in relative terms when that month is taken into account.

I'll also reiterate I said "SOME" - I know not every self employed person takes the piss.

Non Stop Dancer

My point is that self employed people are afforded certain advantages like that one but denied others that employees enjoy, paid holiday being the obvious one.

Glebe

JaDanketies

Flat tax increases are the most Tory way to increase taxes possible.