Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs that make you kill.

Started by Coughlan, May 23, 2005, 05:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niat

I would like to add my name to the growing list of Chand-lovers. Great rant about R. Williams, brilliantly articulating pretty much exactly how I feel about the smug, talentless cunt.

Robbie Williams is a competent singer, is quite animated on stage or in front of a camera, and is physically attractive to a lot of women.

Morrisfan82

A slice of bread makes you feel slightly less hungry.

Ciarán2

I enjoyed reading the rant, Chand - very well written. I can see what you're getting at, half the time I feel the same way. Can't help but feel that your anger is disproportionate though! Do you really feel that strongly, or is it rhetorical?

chand

Quote from: "Ciarán"I enjoyed reading the rant, Chand - very well written. I can see what you're getting at, half the time I feel the same way. Can't help but feel that your anger is disproportionate though! Do you really feel that strongly, or is it rhetorical?

Heh, there was some artistic licence, but I genuinely can't stand 'Come Undone', I first heard it in a branch of HMV, uncut with the swearing in and he seemed to be revelling the fact that millions of little girls would shock their parents with this, it sounded really forced.

Chers penis

Is this a bad time to mention that In a Robbie video?

Quote from: "rjd2"Bump
James Blunt you're Beautiful a truly horrendous cynical record aimed at silly little school girls. Seriously look and listen to these lyrics. I as I stated in a previous thread have neighbors who have being playing this full volume for the last two days.

My life is brilliant.
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

Yeah, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was,
F**king high,
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.

http://www.slimepie.com/mp3/gullible.mp3

23 Daves

I live with a woman (and huge Morrissey fan, I might add) who, without a trace of irony, thoroughly enjoys the back catalogue of Boney M.  OK, so she passes on "Belfast" (which I think is an unintentionally hilarious disco tinged call to peace in the area) and "We Kill The World Don't Kill The World", but the rest seems to be a free for all.

And I have to tell you... I never want to hear "Brown Girl In The Ring" and most especially "Rivers of Babylon" ever again.  Oh sure, you might think they're catchy little ditties when you hear them on the radio or played "ironically" somewhere, but these things are AWFUL.  Monumentally awful, in ways I cannot describe without damaging this keyboard.  It's the fucking shit steel drums, the plodding mid-tempo rhythms, those generic, unemotional female vocals, that horrendously deep male singing (which the dancer used to mime along to), and the relentless but seemingly rather forced jolly nature of it all.  And "Rasputin"!  Jesus!  The lyrics are beyond unforgiveable.  They have to be some of the worst ever written.

More to the point, she forgets to turn Audioscrobbler off whilst listening to them so it looks to the whole world as if I really enjoy Boney M's music.  Which I most certainly don't.  And the first person to quote this and reply "Oh yes, I'm sure you don't, Dave..." gets some splattering, splashing fresh urine on their doormat.

On the other hand, I over-expose my other half to Lieutenant Pigeon, The Sweet and ELO, so all's fair in love and war.

Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" piss me off as well.  Over-exposure is part of the problem - they were playing them to death on North American rock stations last year, and they still seem to be played on """alternative""" radio in the UK right now (spot the difference, kids) - but then there's something about the production and dreary, plodding feeling the tracks have that grates on me.  It's like slightly scuffed up MOR masquerading as punk.  If Richard Marx had written them in the eighties and released them as ballads, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

The Mumbler

I've got a soft spot for Boney M's Daddy Cool - I had it on a well-worn recording of Radio 1's top 20 when I was about seven - but Rivers of Babylon and Brown Girl in the Ring belong in the "never ever want to hear again" category.   It was a double A-sided single.  Rivers of Babylon raced to number one very quickly, then it sloped down the top 20 very very slowly.  When it had dropped to about number 20, the radio, in its wisdom, flipped it and started playing Brown Girl in the Ring.  Whereupon it started to go back up the charts, until it reached number two.  In the end, the single remained in the charts for nine months.   I had had enough of it long before then.

23 Daves

Quote from: "The Mumbler"I've got a soft spot for Boney M's Daddy Cool - I had it on a well-worn recording of Radio 1's top 20 when I was about seven - but Rivers of Babylon and Brown Girl in the Ring belong in the "never ever want to hear again" category.   It was a double A-sided single.  Rivers of Babylon raced to number one very quickly, then it sloped down the top 20 very very slowly.  When it had dropped to about number 20, the radio, in its wisdom, flipped it and started playing Brown Girl in the Ring.  Whereupon it started to go back up the charts, until it reached number two.  In the end, the single remained in the charts for nine months.   I had had enough of it long before then.

You're right, actually, that probably is a huge part of the problem - I was very young when they had their moment in the charts with that one, but it must have sunken in because until you mentioned it just there, I totally forgot that they were on the same single!  The fact I picked those two tracks in particular is quite telling.

My other half (who is Canadian) probably didn't get quite the same over-exposure to those tracks that we suffered.  And I am presently still suffering from.  

I once lived with Boney M's session drummer in a house in North London.  Their session guitarist also lived there, but quit because "I just couldn't bring myself to do it anymore".  True story.  And I sympathise.  There have to be easier ways to earn a living.  Like working in a barbed wire factory or something.

humanleech

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"Robbie Williams is a competent singer, is quite animated on stage or in front of a camera, and is physically attractive to a lot of women.
Bonobo chimps are physically attractive to a lot of women, but not consciously. With Robbie Williams it's the conscious bit I don't understand.

Rave anthem "Feeling So Real" by Moby. Nooooooo!

rjd2

rjd2

So then the new version of one who's heard it? Its one of my favourite U2 tracks but its being destroyed by that Mary J Blige lass in typical RnB style singing/warbling/shouting all over it as if her live depended on it. Or am I being a bit harsh?

Brutus Beefcake

I consider Robbie Williams apologists to be worse than holocaust deniers as Robbie Williams is still happening.