Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adjusting brightness on Windows 10?

Started by BeardFaceMan, July 26, 2020, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

So I was just going through some old games on Steam and played a game called Bookworm Deluxe and when I exited back to the desktop something odd has happened. It looks like the brightness has been turned up, it's even making some text appear a little blurry. I can't find any kind of brightness controls in Win10 (I have my desktop plugged into my tv if that makes a difference) but what's also odd is that when I start a different game (tried loading up No Man's Sky) the brightness disappears. Just before the game starts and the resolution changes to get ready for the game, the brightness is gone and when the game is running the brightness is gone, but when i exit and go back to the desktop, it's there again. Tried rebooting my PC, it's still there. Any ideas what's happened?

gib

MojoJojo

It's probably a setting on your telly somewhere. But does sound a bit odd.

Blumf

Have a poke about your GFX card setting control panel/app, they often have a different profiles for different activities and maybe it's messed up your default desktop profile.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I thought it might be something to do with my telly but then it goes back to normal when I play another game. Tried reinstalling my graphics card drivers too, still the same. I'll have a nose around and see if it has any profiles or anything.

BeardFaceMan

Ah, so it turns out it was a setting on my TV that had changed, there are profiles on there and it had changed. What was throwing me was that it would revert back to my original profile when I ran a game and then change back when I stopped, I didn't know your PC could alter the settings on your TV like that. Now I've manually changed it back it seems to be sticking though.

NoSleep

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 26, 2020, 10:12:38 PM
So I was just going through some old games on Steam and played a game called Bookworm Deluxe and when I exited back to the desktop something odd has happened. It looks like the brightness has been turned up, it's even making some text appear a little blurry. I can't find any kind of brightness controls in Win10 (I have my desktop plugged into my tv if that makes a difference) but what's also odd is that when I start a different game (tried loading up No Man's Sky) the brightness disappears. Just before the game starts and the resolution changes to get ready for the game, the brightness is gone and when the game is running the brightness is gone, but when i exit and go back to the desktop, it's there again. Tried rebooting my PC, it's still there. Any ideas what's happened?

Sounds like your gamma (or "white point") setting has been tweaked. I'm on a Mac but I would assume there's somewhere amongst your settings where you can adjust gamma back to default (I have a box ticked called "use native white point" located in display/colour settings).

olliebean

The other game changing the resolution might be the clue to why it kept changing. Possibly the telly stores different setups for different resolutions.