Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Official Sgt Peppers Track Listing

Started by Retinend, July 27, 2020, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

that I just invented

the first three tracks and last two tracks are not really of the concept album theme so they are separated. Also, the first three and last two are more psychedelic/unexpected/epic.

The middle section is like a mini concert by this new band, "Sgt Pepper" and his "Lonely Hearts Club Band", at a staggered start. You think: "Huh? Okay? Well let's give it a listen". ...thus one gets a little more time to acclimatise to this new sound. "Fixing A Hole" is an especially unpopular track, so I stuck it next to the opener as a warm up into "Good Morning Good Morning", which is another one that suffers from a lack of context on the original LP listing. I think the original charm of "When I'm 64" shines through much better when not paired with "Within You Without You". The concert ends with the Reprise.

This track listing corrects the odious attempt by McCartney to undercut the majesty of "Within You Without You" with piffle like "When I'm 64" by putting it, instead of there, right next to John's visionary "A Day In The Life" with which it jives much better musically. I know I just contradicted myself but isn't it nice what a little musical context can do for one's appreciation of a song, or lack thereof?

Feel free to suggest you own new official Sgt Peppers track listings. If this thread gets popular I will post "The Brown Album" tracklisting.

SpiderChrist

Good God - you could have driven to Leeds in the time it took you to do that.

daf

Obviously all the segues are banjaxed, but I'll happily give this a spin - as I used to to tinker with the order of my CDs all the time.*

(I burned the Cassette order of Rubber Soul and Revolver to a CD, as that's the version that permanently dented my 14 year old brain, and nothing is now going to shift it.)

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* [Always open side 2 with the big single / filler hidden in the middle  /  end side 1 on the ballad and side 2 on the epic]

The Mollusk

Nice! Great to see this pioneering band The Beatles being discussed here. They certainly don't get the recognition they deserve. This is definitely a good thread, keep up the great work

BlodwynPig

Blinder Data

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 27, 2020, 10:29:37 AM
Nice! Great to see this pioneering band The Beatles being discussed here. They certainly don't get the recognition they deserve. This is definitely a good thread, keep up the great work

bit harsh mate

JaDanketies

Nice shot. I'd worry it would drag in the middle though. You don't appreciate how many dull songs are on Sgt Peppers until you play them all back-to-back!

daf

Right, got it on now . . . Let's do this!

Great opening with LITSWD (the Welsh Washing powder), and transition into to Mr Kite feels very natural - Story wise we're taking a stroll around the village on an acid trip, and have just come across a traveling fairground . . .

Mr Kite - - -> She's Leaving Home  : One of the people wandering about the Fairground tells us how she ended up here. Working great so far!

Taking her with us, we stroll through the gates of the nearby Victorian Park where a band is set up and already playing.

Next up their guest vocalist Billy Shears . . . . who immediately plummets through a trapdoor!

OK, it's totally come off the rails at that point!

I'd suggest moving With a Little Help From My Friends back up so it's between Sgt Pepper and Fixing a Hole - That transition sounds great to me musically, and continues the story of Billy, having finished his morning wank, is now up and doing a spot of DIY.

Ok, I'll go back to the original order - to see how it plays through on side 2 . . .

BlodwynPig

TheMonk

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 27, 2020, 10:29:37 AM
This is definitely a good reply, keep up the great work

Blinder Data

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2020, 11:41:44 AM
I'm sure McCartney will cope with a bit of criticism, non?

It's harsh on the OP

Retinend

Thanks, daf! That was a lot of fun to read. edit: my bad, ignore. Good suggestions there for a rejigging.

edit: Thanks, Blinder Data.

daf

Yeah, a that was a bit bumpy with the Sgt Pepper (reprise) switched around, but I think we can smooth this out, while retaining the essence of your new running order concept.

How about something like this : (both sides are a neat 20 minutes each)

QuoteSide 1
[Village / Fairground]
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
"She's Leaving Home"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[Billy Shears Day 1]
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"With a Little Help from My Friends"
"Fixing a Hole"
"Getting Better"

Side 2
[Billy Shears Day 2]
"Good Morning Good Morning"
"Lovely Rita"
"When I'm Sixty-Four"
"Within You Without You"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"A Day in the Life"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Retinend on July 27, 2020, 12:03:43 PM
Thanks, daf! That was a lot of fun to read. edit: my bad, ignore. Good suggestions there for a rejigging.

edit: Thanks, Blinder Data.

Didn't realise you were the 6th Beatle.

The Beatles - the only band exempt from mockery.

Twonty Gostelow

I ❤️ Beatles band and wish them every success, but after an opening of Lucy and Mr Kite I'd probably have stopped listening.

The Mollusk

BlodwynPig

I think its perfectly fine to have Beatles threads. They aren't that often. But I do object at the Beatles-fascism that exists almost universally in regard to any criticism however mild or joking. I would understand if it was a particularly niche band from your hometown, but not the BIGGEST BAND ON THE PLANET EVER.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 27, 2020, 01:46:00 PM
edit: fuck it, sorry. Cannot be arsed

stick with it. we need allies against the paisley horde.

daf

The Mollusc - You're welcome to pop into my TOTP 2020 thread.

I've got a fairly good handle on what's currently happening in the charts, but outside of that - not a clue.

So, if you fancy it, please feel free to post any new sounds you think deserve a wider airing.

JaDanketies

Quote from: daf on July 27, 2020, 01:59:06 PM
The Mollusc - You're welcome to pop into my TOTP 2020 thread that is currently twisting slowly in the wind, and clogged up with tumbleweed.

I've got a fairly good handle on what's currently happening in the charts, but outside of that - not a clue.

So please feel free to post a few current sounds you think deserve a wider airing - I'd appreciate it.

What kinda thing are you into, daf? I like to think I'm still down with the kids.

Currently listening to this lady FKA Twigs who is avante-garde art pop minimalist stuff and won a Mercury prize and the NME said her album Mercury was the 6th-best of last year. I got all that from Wikipedia, the YouTube algorithm told me to listen to her.

daf

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 27, 2020, 02:06:01 PM
What kinda thing are you into, daf? I like to think I'm still down with the kids.

Richard Wagner Operas, 1920's Hot Jazz, 1930 British Dance Bands, Leslie Sarony, George Formby, George Gershwin musicals, 1960's pop, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Mike Oldfield, ALL 1970 Disco music, Abba, Queen, ELO, Genesis (up to and including 'Wind & Wuthering'), Steve Hackett, Focus, Pink Floyd, 10CC, Kate Bush, The Police, The Smiths, XTC, Ian Dury  & The Blockheads, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians, The Stranglers, Squeeze, Scritti Politti, Jess, Tynal Tywyll, Cartoon, Blur, Super Furry Animals, Wiliam Orbit, KLF, The Shamen, Shampoo, Betty Boo, Mansun, Gay Dad  . . .

Nothing new since around 2000 there - but I've been enjoying dipping into new stuff via the charts since the start of the year.

Just remembered - the last 'new' song that blew my socks off was Uptown Funk (yes, THAT version!)

JaDanketies

Quote from: daf on July 27, 2020, 02:19:50 PM
Just remembered - the last 'new' song that blew my socks off was Uptown Funk (yes, THAT version!)

Mark Ronson of Uptown Funk fame did this banger with Miley Cyrus: Nothing Breaks Like a Heart

But what really convinced me of Miley was her cover of Jolene.

On a Kate Bush vibe, you might like Anna von Hausswolf, she's like a post-metal Kate Bush.

daf

Cheers for the suggestions - I'll have a delve!

Apologies for derailing this thread - we now return you to Beatles chat . . .

The Mollusk

Quote from: daf on July 27, 2020, 01:59:06 PM
The Mollusc - You're welcome to pop into my TOTP 2020 thread.

So, if you fancy it, please feel free to post any new sounds you think deserve a wider airing.

Your contributions are wonderfully comprehensive and dedicated and I love it, but I just don't really get on with that thread format and I'd rather start new ones for individual artists or albums. But they they get very few responses and so I hope people understand my reasoning for getting frustrated at tenuous facets of pop music history being so fervently discussed at length. It probably sounds selfish but it's something I'm really passionate about and I don't really feel like it's welcome here.

JaDanketies

Hey Mollusc, there are loads of albums I'd happily start threads about but alas it's only gonna be people that have already listened to the album that will reply to it, and if your tastes are more esoteric, it might be hard to get any traction. This forum is also full of people aged at least 30, too, so you're gonna get the most traction for albums that were popular at least a decade ago. It's no surprise people have more to say about Sergeant Peppers than this incredible album created by John Lennon's son and Les Claypool from Primus. He sounds just like John Lennon himself!

Although you can hope that someone will check out the album based on your recommendation and enjoy it, but we patricians get so many music recommendations sent our way through algorithms and social media alone...

But I'm sure there's no harm in it. I guess that's a benefit to the larger threads. Perhaps you could do something like 'Mollusc's Great Big Prog Rock Thread' or summat

daf

The Mollusk - No problem - and to be honest, I think you're probably right to start a new thread for a specific artist or album, rather than lumping them in one big general catch-all thread.

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 27, 2020, 02:58:54 PM
It probably sounds selfish but it's something I'm really passionate about and I don't really feel like it's welcome here.

Don't give up on us baby - We're still worth one more try! :)

daf

We now return you to Beatles chat . . .

JaDanketies

I don't know what the best track on Sgt Peppers is but the worst one is Lovely Rita. Either my dad's copy of it had a scratch on that song, or it was so poor I blanked it out of my childhood and only realised it existed when I revisited as an adult.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: daf on July 27, 2020, 02:19:50 PM
Richard Wagner Operas, 1920's Hot Jazz, 1930 British Dance Bands, Leslie Sarony, George Formby, George Gershwin musicals, 1960's pop, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Mike Oldfield, ALL 1970 Disco music, Abba, Queen, ELO, Genesis (up to and including 'Wind & Wuthering'), Steve Hackett, Focus, Pink Floyd, 10CC, Kate Bush, The Police, The Smiths, XTC, Ian Dury  & The Blockheads, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians, The Stranglers, Squeeze, Scritti Politti, Jess, Tynal Tywyll, Cartoon, Blur, Super Furry Animals, Wiliam Orbit, KLF, The Shamen, Shampoo, Betty Boo, Mansun, Gay Dad  . . .

Nothing new since around 2000 there - but I've been enjoying dipping into new stuff via the charts since the start of the year.

I looooove your list daf. Anyone I haven't listened to on it I will have to make a note of. ie: Cartoon?

OP What about this as a tracklisting? An upbeat first side to a gradual winding down.

Side 1

Good Morning
SPLHC
Fixing A Hole
Mr Kite
Lovely Rita
Getting Better
SP Reprise

Side  2.

With A Little Help...
When I'm 64
Lucy