Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Official Sgt Peppers Track Listing

Started by Retinend, July 27, 2020, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wosl

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2020, 01:52:49 PMI do object at the Beatles-fascism that exists almost universally in regard to any criticism however mild or joking. I would understand if it was a particularly niche band from your hometown, but not the BIGGEST BAND ON THE PLANET EVER.

daf

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 27, 2020, 03:32:36 PM
I looooove your list daf. Anyone I haven't listened to on it I will have to make a note of. ie: Cartoon?

They were the short-lived English-language spinoff of the Welsh-Language 90's band Jess. *

Championed by the lovely Kevin Greening in 1997. This song - Fade Away - was Mark and Lard's first 'single of the week' on their doomed Radio 1 breakfast show. Released four or five EPs. Got nowhere.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (like Catatonia were formed out of Y Cyrff, or SFA from Ffa Coffi Pawb)

daf

We now return you to Beatles chat . . .

Retinend

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 27, 2020, 03:32:36 PM
I looooove your list daf. Anyone I haven't listened to on it I will have to make a note of. ie: Cartoon?

OP What about this as a tracklisting? An upbeat first side to a gradual winding down.

Side 1

Good Morning
SPLHC
Fixing A Hole
Mr Kite
Lovely Rita
Getting Better
SP Reprise

Side  2.

With A Little Help...
When I'm 64
Lucy
She's Leaving Home
Within You Without You
A Day In The Life

I tried to be objective but I'm too in love with my own concept. For example I think you need to open the tracklisting with an absolute classic like Lucy to justify the concept-album parts (stuff that sounds like a live band) which everyone admits can get tedious. Thank you for agreeing to pair Within You Without You with A Day in the Life and adding "She's Leaving Home" to head them up. Good move.

Quote from: wosl on July 27, 2020, 03:52:36 PM

Blodder's tears of rage are in the cup.

BlodwynPig

Not arsed, you can take The Rutles and shove them up your Blackbird.

Hiding behind 4 billions like-minded fans, big man talk, Ret...speaking up for the little band.

:)))))))))))))) <----  Tears of a true music pseud.

BlodwynPig

ps. did you know the Beatles only have 37 songs in their entire catalogue. Blimey.

Retinend

I realise I am making a weird judgement call about what counts as sounding like a live band and what doesn't.

My impression of this mythical band is that it has a million different instruments on stage and has this jerky, modernist aesthetic to it. "Fixing a Hole" is actually a perfect example of this hitherto-foreign-to-the-Beatles'oeuvre sound: it is totally angular. "Good Morning Good Morning" is equally strange and almost post-modern, with the Kelloggs rooster in it (we have to imagine there is really a rooster on stage - perhaps as daf suggested it is an old-fashioned carnival stage). "Getting Better" continues with the angular rock sound, and from there we progressively loosen up until "Lovely Rita" is the big singalong akin to Hey Jude the following year. Many think it's not that good but I beg to differ.

So in summary I think these songs hang together well as a "live group" sound, delineated from the songs that are more surprising/ more daring/ more produced... you know, the good ones.

My main doubt is whether "When I'm 64" really fits the rest of the "live set" as I have construed it. The singing voice and production is obviously a pastiche of the 30s so it really belongs outside of the "live set" framework. The problem is that it is as earnest as it is cheesy, and as moving as it is schmaltzy. It's not a cool angular rock band and it's not a song you can slot next to "Within You Without You" (WHY? Paul, why?).

It just doesn't fit anywhere.... unless...

Well this granny Paul voice is disembodied. You don't know who is singing it. Clearly "Billy Shears" is Ringo so why can't this slightly different voice be... Sergeant Pepper? He was the founding member in the 30s and he did Swing music. The Beatle alter-egos on the cover are the active members but old S.P. can still get on stage for long enough to sing one of his classics. Mystery solved!

"When I'm Sixty Four" is when the rest of the band grabs the jazz instruments and takes the crowd back to the past before the big modern, swinging-sixties singalong (Rita) and final bow (Reprise).

At this point one could chop out and crop in the long silence and "nevercouldseeanyotherway" from the end of "A Day of the Life" for dramatic effect and confusion. One could read something into the meaning of this phrase given this new contextual framing.

What follows this interlude is the contemplation when the carnival ends, you're alone in bed and you have grasped some wisdom that will disappear as you are simultaneously lulled to sleep: George's composition is the voice of reason (resolute, bitter indictments of the material world) and John's is the voice of madness: moments of shock and horror, and moments of youthful innocence swimming around in a dying brain.

Who was the man who blew his mind out in a car, you ask?

Spoiler alert
yer mum
[close]

chveik

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 27, 2020, 10:29:37 AM
Nice! Great to see this pioneering band The Beatles being discussed here. They certainly don't get the recognition they deserve. This is definitely a good thread, keep up the great work

why did you make a new account?

The Mollusk

Got tired of my username. It has meaning to me (and is partly a really outdated forum in-joke) but to other people it reads like "a bloke called Alan who nags everyone" which isn't what it actually means and I started getting self-conscious about it. I wanted to have Legend of the Dog-Faced Woman but it exceeded the character length.

BlodwynPig

Didn't realise you were an Anti-Beatle too, Nags. That makes 3 of us.

Retinend

Nagswho?

j/k

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 27, 2020, 10:29:37 AM
Nice! Great to see this pioneering band The Beatles being discussed here. They certainly don't get the recognition they deserve. This is definitely a good thread, keep up the great work

Oh okay so this is payback for my shitposting in the Neutral Milk Hotel thread? If not intentionally, call it karma.

The Mollusk

I am sorry for threadshitting. I have my reasons but I shouldn't vent them here, you don't deserve it.

I do like The Beatles but I ... ahh I can't be fucked to go into it.

ollyboro

Love making curry to this album. Within You Without You even adds to the Indian vibe. The backing vocals are fucking brilliant, particularly Lennon's "it couldn't get much worse" response to Paul's positively in Getting Better. I can't imagine making a curry to the tracks in any other order.

Custard

My version of Sgt. Peps would have all the original tunes, in the exact same order, but with Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane whacked in there too

Side 1
-Sgt. Pepper
-With a little help
-Lucy in the sky with diamonds
-Getting Better
-Strawberry Fields Forevs
-Fixing a hole
-She's Leaving Home
-Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite

Side two
-Penny Lane
-Within You Without You
-When I'm 64
-Lovely Rita
-Good Morning, Good Morning
-Sgt Pepper (Reprise)
-A Day in the life

It would have been the most wonderful record of all the world

Retinend

This morning I decided to determine the new official Magical Mystery Tour track listing.

Here it is:

original:

Following the last one, I decided to pair up Lennon and Harrison by unearthing the deep cut "Blue Jay Way" and having it head up the stonking line of classics that make this album so endlessly replayable.

The first half of this new tracklisting is where the lighthearted tone of the film comes across "Hello Goodbye" is really sweet and I think it follows the opening-track tradition of Taxman, Back in the USSR, Help! etc. "Baby You're A Rich Man" is really good in a "warmup" position, and not directly competing with "Penny Lane" and "All You Need is Love" for goodness's sake!

"Fool on the Hill" in this new position injects a tone of melancholy before rolling into the blissed-out "Flying". Having "Your Mother Should Know" to finish up this side echoes that brilliant iconic scene of them descending the staircase at the end of the Magical Mystery Tour film. The conceptual "Magical Mystery Tour" proper however,, for me in my own personal what-linguists-call "idiolect", is the second half of the album - now, as mentioned, headed with the majestic "Blue Jay Way", paired with Lennon's "I Am The Walrus" similar to how I paired "Within You Without You" with "A Day in the Life." Same thinking.

Retinend

Quote from: ollyboro on July 27, 2020, 11:08:03 PM
Love making curry to this album. Within You Without You even adds to the Indian vibe. The backing vocals are fucking brilliant, particularly Lennon's "it couldn't get much worse" response to Paul's positively in Getting Better. I can't imagine making a curry to the tracks in any other order.

you think the original track listing is perfect? whether merely for curry, or more generally?

Quote from: Retinend on July 27, 2020, 08:08:25 PM
I realise I am making a weird judgement call about what counts as sounding like a live band and what doesn't.

My impression of this mythical band is that it has a million different instruments on stage and has this jerky, modernist aesthetic to it. "Fixing a Hole" is actually a perfect example of this hitherto-foreign-to-the-Beatles'oeuvre sound: it is totally angular. "Good Morning Good Morning" is equally strange and almost post-modern, with the Kelloggs rooster in it (we have to imagine there is really a rooster on stage - perhaps as daf suggested it is an old-fashioned carnival stage). "Getting Better" continues with the angular rock sound, and from there we progressively loosen up until "Lovely Rita" is the big singalong akin to Hey Jude the following year. Many think it's not that good but I beg to differ.

Re the angular rock sound: A lot of Mccartney's songs around that time are based on 4 staccato chords in a bar on regular crochet beats, usually on keyboard. Listen to Penny Lane, Your Mother Should Know, Fixing A Hole, Getting Better and By With A Little Help back to back and it's clear he was using that a songwriting technique around that time

JaDanketies

Beatallica make Beatles songs with a Metallica twist.

Here's their album Sgt Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band

QuoteI never said it was good

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on July 29, 2020, 09:24:56 AM
Re the angular rock sound: A lot of Mccartney's songs around that time are based on 4 staccato chords in a bar on regular crochet beats, usually on keyboard. Listen to Penny Lane, Your Mother Should Know, Fixing A Hole, Getting Better and By With A Little Help back to back and it's clear he was using that a songwriting technique around that time

ah, that's why they sound so shit

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2020, 01:32:39 PM
ah, that's why they sound so shit

McCartney never mastered the Ozric Tentacles art of making every track sound different.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 27, 2020, 11:09:27 PM
My version of Sgt. Peps would have all the original tunes, in the exact same order, but with Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane whacked in there too

I was just thinking the exact same thing as I was reading through the thread.  Was going to comment but no need as you already said it.  (I'd not thought about exactly where the songs would be placed though.)

Another "fun" game is to imagine the Beatles hadn't split up when they did and to look at the various members solo albums in the 70's and to choose the most "Beatley" tracks (John & Paul get 3 each, Ringo & George get 2 each) and build an imaginary Beatles album from them.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: daf on July 27, 2020, 03:53:22 PM
They were the short-lived English-language spinoff of the Welsh-Language 90's band Jess. *

Championed by the lovely Kevin Greening in 1997. This song - Fade Away - was Mark and Lard's first 'single of the week' on their doomed Radio 1 breakfast show. Released four or five EPs. Got nowhere.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (like Catatonia were formed out of Y Cyrff, or SFA from Ffa Coffi Pawb)

Very nice BTW. Like the harmonies. Thanks.

Back to the Fabs.

Brundle-Fly

DrGreggles

MMM and YS are probably their most ignored albums (if any Beatles releases can be classes as such), but I always thought a combination of those (minus the singles) would work quite well.

wosl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2020, 02:04:09 PM
They don't sound shit to me.

To be fair, Blods did take the trouble to say 'sound', not 'are'.  He's nothing if not a thoughtful anti-Beatle-ite.

daf

Retinend

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on July 29, 2020, 09:24:56 AM

Still, it was a McCartney sound present for this album specifically.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 29, 2020, 01:43:35 PM
McCartney never mastered the Ozric Tentacles art of making every track sound different.

is that the best you can come back with? yawn

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wosl on July 29, 2020, 04:20:11 PM
To be fair, Blods did take the trouble to say 'sound', not 'are'.  He's nothing if not a thoughtful anti-Beatle-ite.

I think I'm the only anti-Beatlite on the planet? Are there any high profile Beatle haters?