Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Official Sgt Peppers Track Listing

Started by Retinend, July 27, 2020, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 29, 2020, 02:32:49 PM
MMM and YS are probably their most ignored albums (if any Beatles releases can be classes as such), but I always thought a combination of those (minus the singles) would work quite well.

Magical Mystery McCartney?

wosl

rue the polywhirl

New official Sgt Pepper tracklist, billion times better than ever before.

Side A

1. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. When I'm Sixty Four
3. Maxwells Silver Hammer
4. Old Brown Shoe
5. Jealous Guy
6  It's All Too Much

Side B

7. Within You Without You
8. Besame Mucho
9. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (featuring Elton John)
10. Strawberry Fields Forever (Outro)
11. I'll Follow The Sun
12. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
13. Carnival Of Light

daf

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2020, 07:57:46 PM
I think I'm the only anti-Beatlite on the planet? Are there any high profile Beatle haters?

they're a non-entity, they don't deserve such strong feelings

Retinend

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2020, 07:56:10 PM
is that the best you can come back with? yawn

Annoying, isn't it? I actually love the Ozrics and Ed's playing - got into them via Hillage.

Beatles 4 ever!

Captain Z

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Hey Jude
I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker With Flowers In My Hair
All Around The World
Darude - Sandstorm
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
All Around The World (Reprise)

Retinend

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: wosl on July 29, 2020, 04:20:11 PM
To be fair, Blods did take the trouble to say 'sound', not 'are'.  He's nothing if not a thoughtful anti-Beatle-ite.

He was talking about the songs being shit and I was replying that I didn't think they were shit.  Whenever there's a Beatles thread, somebody always comes into to say how much they think they're overrated or shit.   It is the law. A tedious law, but a law nonetheless.

Yes, Beatles worshipping is a bit boring, yes, they didn't invent everything and yes, The Kinks are underrated in comparison. But yes, you can enjoy The Beatles AND leftfield psychedelic prog jazz rock afrobeat.

jake thunder

Sgt pepper lonely hearts club
Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Whole Decca Audition tape
Fuh you
How do you sleep you cunt
Money (Ringo 2019 version)
A day in the life

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 29, 2020, 09:09:29 PM
Annoying, isn't it? I actually love the Ozrics and Ed's playing - got into them via Hillage.

Beatles 4 ever!

Cognitive Dissonance? You will know of course that Ed was neighbours with Donovan growing up and his father was friends with George Harrison, both teaching the young Ed a few things about guitars as a young 'un. He even played with Donovan on stage (Glastonbury?) in the 90s (?).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 30, 2020, 10:54:06 AM
He was talking about the songs being shit and I was replying that I didn't think they were shit.  Whenever there's a Beatles thread, somebody always comes into to say how much they think they're overrated or shit.   It is the law. A tedious law, but a law nonetheless.

Yes, Beatles worshipping is a bit boring, yes, they didn't invent everything and yes, The Kinks are underrated in comparison. But yes, you can enjoy The Beatles AND leftfield psychedelic prog jazz rock afrobeat.

I think it's always me and that is my only crime. But I ain't starting a thread about hating the Beatles. Of course you can like the Beatles + anything else, but I just hate them, I hate their voices, I hate their tweeness and bubblegum pop phase. Blackbird is a good tune and maybe there are a few others that I can tolerate (from White album?).

I first heard Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery when I was about 4, my grandparents had copies in the back bedroom. I didn't like them then and it persisted. Although we did have fun making up silly lyrics to when I'm 64.

wosl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 30, 2020, 10:54:06 AM

I thought he was making the distinction between 'sounds shit' and 'is shit', a fair-minded way to go, since it clearly concedes the listener's own biases in the assessment process (a lot of opera singing sounds shit to me, but I know that opera singing can't be held mainly responsible for that, or even at all).

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 30, 2020, 12:13:44 PM
I think it's always me and that is my only crime. But I ain't starting a thread about hating the Beatles. Of course you can like the Beatles + anything else, but I just hate them, I hate their voices, I hate their tweeness and bubblegum pop phase. Blackbird is a good tune and maybe there are a few others that I can tolerate (from White album?).

I first heard Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery when I was about 4, my grandparents had copies in the back bedroom. I didn't like them then and it persisted. Although we did have fun making up silly lyrics to when I'm 64.

At least you've organically disliked them from the off rather than trying to be iconoclastic or contrary or simply worn down by them, I suppose?

wosl

I was going to add that I remembered Blodders giving the odd Fabs' track a pass mark before, and there he is doing it again! I never get the impression he especially relishes being a Beatle basher (not all the time, anyway).

Norton Canes

Horrible, turgid, nursery-rhyme nonsense. Cited as influential but what's their legacy? Prog rock and landfill indie. Contrast with Kraftwerk, who bequeathed hip-hop and techno. No thanks.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 30, 2020, 01:50:00 PM
Horrible, turgid, nursery-rhyme nonsense. Cited as influential but what's their legacy? Prog rock and landfill indie. Contrast with Kraftwerk, who bequeathed hip-hop and techno. No thanks.

Not a big fan of Kraftwerk. Decent as Organisation and then their first 1 or 2 albums, then they went all Pop(corn) dirge. Harmonia did it better.

JaDanketies

pretty much all psychedelic and avante-garde music could cite the Beatles as an influence, from Sigur Ros to Dalek. I'm sure Kraftwerk is also influential in a huge range of genres too but the enduring legacy of the Beatles isn't just guitar noodling and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. Perhaps if the Beatles hadn't pushed the envelope like they did, there would be no Kraftwerk.

DrGreggles

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"With a Little Help from My Friends"
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
"Getting Better"
"Fixing a Hole"
"She's Leaving Home"
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
"Within You Without You"
"Here Comes the Hotstepper"
"Lovely Rita"
"Good Morning Good Morning"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
"A Day in the Life"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 30, 2020, 02:47:48 PM
pretty much all psychedelic and avante-garde music could cite the Beatles as an influence, from Sigur Ros to Dalek. I'm sure Kraftwerk is also influential in a huge range of genres too but the enduring legacy of the Beatles isn't just guitar noodling and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. Perhaps if the Beatles hadn't pushed the envelope like they did, there would be no Kraftwerk.

Or perhaps others may have pushed it in a different direction instead of pub bore bands like Oasis.

Retinend

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 30, 2020, 05:30:25 PM
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"With a Little Help from My Friends"
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
"Getting Better"
"Fixing a Hole"
"She's Leaving Home"
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
"Within You Without You"
"Here Comes the Hotstepper"
"Lovely Rita"
"Good Morning Good Morning"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
"A Day in the Life"

🤷 easier than typing square open bracket letter i square closing bracket etc. Do we all need to be so hostile? I don't actually think it's very nice that the many beatlemaniacs on this forum can't just be let in peace to talk about the Beatles.

Brundle-Fly

Contrast with Kraftwerk, who bequeathed hip-hop and techno. No thanks.

...and a billion abandoned shipping containers full of bland dance records. Kraftwerk gave us hip-hop? Was that after Raymond Scott invented reggae?

For the record, I like Kraftwerk but come on...

BlodwynPig

Brundle-Fly

No. We shouldn't derail this thread. Tea time.

daf

We now return you to Beatles chat . . .

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 30, 2020, 06:35:51 PM
does it matter who invented hip hop?

not really, but it sure as shit isn't white people