Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:48:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Official Sgt Peppers Track Listing

Started by Retinend, July 27, 2020, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on July 30, 2020, 08:11:09 PM
not really, but it sure as shit isn't white people

The Beatles invented Schlager

Nowhere Man

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 30, 2020, 12:13:44 PM
I just hate them, I hate their voices, I hate their tweeness and bubblegum pop phase.

"Come say it to my face mate."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 30, 2020, 11:39:14 PM
"Come say it to my face mate."

Sure, where does McCartney Ian Wark live?

Beach Boys are obnoxious too. Sub-Happy Days surf pop.

wosl

jake thunder

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 31, 2020, 08:11:36 AM

Music is shit isn't it?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: jake thunder on July 31, 2020, 03:11:23 PM
Music is shit isn't it?

I never listen to it. Happiness is for decadent fools.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 31, 2020, 08:11:36 AM

Couldn't agree more tbh, Pet Sounds and SMiLE are chockful of shit-tier Dick Dale riffs

Nowhere Man

FUCK MUSIC

there I said it. Nuke the oscillation forum

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jake thunder on July 31, 2020, 03:11:23 PM
Music is shit isn't it?

Plenty of music to go around .

Load of blinkered minds on here. Beach Boys and Beatles aren't the only music, FRIENDS. Open your minds.

far far superior to any output from the big boy bands.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 02, 2020, 02:46:33 PM
Plenty of music to go around .

Load of blinkered minds on here. Beach Boys and Beatles aren't the only music, FRIENDS. Open your minds.

far far superior to any output from the big boy bands.

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but no one said they were were. You're the one that came into a thread about a Beatles album, saying how they're rubbish, and then you mentioned The Beach Boys and said that they're rubbish too. Why not just start a thread about The Open Mind instead?

wosl

It seems easier to say how or why you loathe something than it is to say why you love something, I suppose because naturally you aren't inclined to develop complex (in the constructive sense) relationships with things you rapidly develop a clear and strong dislike for. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nowhere Man on August 02, 2020, 03:03:29 PM
I know you're being tongue in cheek, but no one said they were were. You're the one that came into a thread about a Beatles album, saying how they're rubbish, and then you mentioned The Beach Boys and said that they're rubbish too. Why not just start a thread about The Open Mind instead?

Didn't say they were rubbish. Just don't like them and I am allowed to critique aren't I? or this a religious thing.. Scientology cult?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wosl on August 02, 2020, 03:21:18 PM
It seems easier to say how or why you loathe something than it is to say why you love something, I suppose because naturally you aren't inclined to develop complex (in the constructive sense) relationships with things you rapidly develop a clear and strong dislike for.

The thing is...now here's the thing... blah de blah.

There is very little Beatles hate. Non-existent I would say. Point me in the direction of some proper Beatles criticism for me to wallow in. I'm only trying to draw attention to this. 1 billion people cannot be wrong, eh... EH? CHRISTIANS!!!!

BlodwynPig

As evidence of how very little criticism, if any, is directed at The Beatles, I present this thread. The most contentious topic that can be imagined by a group of music fans is the best order for the track listing of a 53 year old album. Not knocking the act, just that this is what you are reduced to in 2020. You could fill a library with all the words written about this one album, yet here we are...again. Goin' down the only road I've ever known.

shagatha crustie

Thing is they're huge aren't they. Top-selling rock band of this/last year, I saw the other day, which is fucking mental.

Hugeness = lots of fans = more people likely to pile on in a thread. Saying there isn't any dissent/criticism out there is daft. It's just a controversial topic cos it's such a giant thing that's dear to so many people.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shagatha crustie on August 02, 2020, 04:01:01 PM
Thing is they're huge aren't they. Top-selling rock band of this/last year, I saw the other day, which is fucking mental.

Hugeness = lots of fans = more people likely to pile on in a thread. Saying there isn't any dissent/criticism out there is daft. It's just a controversial topic cos it's such a giant thing that's dear to so many people.

I do like all their albums until Mob Rules when things started going down hill with Dio.

wosl

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 02, 2020, 03:30:24 PM
Point me in the direction of some proper Beatles criticism for me to wallow in.

Why do I get the feeling that 'proper' doesn't mean constructive, here?! (I think what you're asking for is a demolition job of the sort that Roland Huntford did on Captain Scott.)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wosl on August 02, 2020, 04:44:03 PM
Why do I get the feeling that 'proper' doesn't mean constructive, here?! (I think what you're asking for is a demolition job of the sort that Roland Huntford did on Captain Scott.)

either...constructive or obliteration, its all the same to me. I know what I like in your wardrobe.

daf

Quote from: Robert Elms"They did a few things that lots of people liked. Everybody can like them, from grandma singing along to When I'm Sixty-Four to the little girl singing Yellow Submarine. I just think they are either childlike and simple or rather leaden and pompous - one or the other all the time. Theirs is a sanitised and anaemic version of American blues-inspired rock and roll. For me they turned something that was once sexy and raw and had roots, into something that was totally soulless, playground sing-along music."

Robert Elms: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8246313.stm

Nick Clayton : https://medium.com/@nickclayton/confession-im-64-and-i-can-t-stand-the-beatles-fad76e6e50fc

1964 USA Critics : https://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-xpm-2014-feb-09-la-oe-beatles-quotes-20140209-story.html

Quote from: William F. Buckley Jr.The Beatles are not merely awful; I would consider it sacrilegious to say anything less than that they are god awful. They are so unbelievably horribly, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art that they qualify as crowned heads of anti-music, even as the imposter popes went down in history as "anti-popes."

wosl

From Albini's Electrical Audio forum Beatles Crap/Not Crap poll and discussion thread, a reply that might warm your cockles a bit, Blods (there'll be a fair bit more Beatle scepticism in there, you can be sure):

QuoteI'm not going to give 10 reasons why [the Beatles] suck, but I'll try for 10 reasons why they're overrated and why perhaps their fame has been detremental to music in general [...]

1. They took "rock" music and elevated it to the level of "fine art" in the minds of their public and "rock journalists". This, in the long run, has trivialized other forms of musical art, and allowed those in "rock journalism" and the larger rock fan base to remain wilfully and dare I say arrogantly ignorant of other music.

2. They, functioning as a "self contained singing, songwriting, performing unit" destroyed the existing musical concept of those that wrote/composed, those that perform, those that sing, and those that arrange. It set a paradigm where all musical "acts" are expected to be self-contained, self-sufficient "units"; whether or not they are good at any or all of these things. It has fostered an environment where mediocrity can flourish.

3. They, as an early "collaborative" unit, set the trend for bands that create by consensus. Though this worked extremely well for them (as evidenced by their post-Beatles individual outputs), it does not necessary function well for many other groups. I would argue that creation by consensus also fosters mediocrity. This expectation in the world of "rock" may in fact quell individual writers who may create better individually.

4. They set the pace, beyond Elvis, of the media mania clusterfuck. The spiralling media empire, with merchandising, tie-ins, etc... set the pace for the current music industry. This never went as far with Sinatra or the Dorseys, who were huge in their time.

5. Their early output was nothing more than insipid little ditties about boy-girl relationships.

6. They spawned countless imitators, setting a trend that thrives to this day.

7. Much of their "revolutionary" creative doings were actually attributable to their production staff. George Martin deserves as much credit for their ground breaking work, as the group themselves. He did all the arranging, conducting, keyboard work (the good stuff at least), set the tracking schedule, etc... and is hugely responsible for the final result.

8. By their very popularity, they steered the music industry to deem that "everything" they sold must bear the Midas Beatles Touch. Thereby Beatles easy-listening, Beatles acid-jazz, Beatles Andy Fucking Williams records, Beatles Classical records. A lot of decent artists and genres of music in the 60's were completely fucked over by the music industry's resulting clamoring to cash in on the Beatles sound and the Now sound.

9. Their musicianship and skills were quite mediocre. They were easily eclipsed by groups like Zeppelin and King Crimson.

10. Sir Paul McCartney.....enough said.

With that said: I actually like the Beatles. They were a pretty good pop group. What I don't like is that they are treated as a Rosetta Stone of 20th Century Music. Claude Debussy, they are not. Duke Ellington, they are not. Jascha Heifetz, they are not. Arthur Rubenstein, they are not. Eric Dolphy, they are not. Frank Zappa, they are not. Just waaaaaaay overrated.

Retinend

Those LA Times clippings from 1964 are so obviously written to formula. I doubt the reviewers listened to the music.

wosl

Albini himself on being played Helter Skelter as part of The Wire's Invisible Jukebox guess-and-assess-the-track game:

QuoteIs this in fact the Beatles doing their Helter Skelter? For the Beatles I would have to say that this is okay. If I were listening to this in the abstract, I would say, yeah, this is an all right song. I don't own any Beatles records, they never meant a thing to me. I really have almost no appreciation for hippy music, except for certain bits of Neil Young. If the Beatles over the course of, what, seven or eight albums, managed to produce that one good song, I really don't know that the rest of the trouble was worth it. But that kicks ass more than the Black Sabbath you played earlier.

BlodwynPig

Thank you. I will leave you in peace. For the record...I don't blame anyone for enjoying the music of The Beatles, don't blame anyone at all ;) Goodnight and God Bless.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 02, 2020, 02:46:33 PM

so glad you're here to guide us deluded fools who only listen to Beach Boys and Beatles

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 03, 2020, 01:21:45 PM
so glad you're here to guide us deluded fools who only listen to Bros and Boyzone