Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:20:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#NoSafePlaceForJewHate

Started by DrGreggles, July 27, 2020, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Lots of big names staying off Twitter for 48 hours due to some high profile AS tweets and Twitter's refusal to delete them or suspend the accounts.

Now, I have no issue whatsoever with this and taking a stand might finally get something done by the Twitter overlords, but so many of the people using the #NoSafePlaceForJewHate hashtag are saying what a vile racist place Twitter is as they announce their temporary hiatus.

They're right, it's horrible. So why are they all coming back on Wednesday?
Why not stay off it permanently? Or at least until Twitter take action and change their policy on what constitutes hate speech?

Not sure what my point is, but this just strikes me as another case of someone wanting to join in with a 'movement' without actually doing anything except telling everyone about this worthy thing they're doing (see also NHS clapping).

For some reason this has really annoyed me.
Rant over.

phantom_power

They seem to think that this is a problem with Twitter and AS as well, when Twitter are slow to react to all forms of hate, including Islamophobia and transphobia.

Buelligan

As you say, why not leave forever?  They could always go to Parler, I believe there are some very fine people there.

BlodwynPig

Sludge. Anoxic sludge. Benthos-tier idiots.

Twitter is not the be-all-and-end-of-all of human interaction...

CaB is!

Sebastian Cobb

The idea that it's a blind spot over a certain type of bigotry is daft. How long did it take Hopkins to get banned?

People are using it as a vehicle for removing anonymity from the service too, which is odd given Wiley had a public meltdown.

idunnosomename

As I said elsewhere, David Vance has simply been posting disparaging comments of videos of muslim people in Britain going about their business as his brand for years with no issue

Sebastian Cobb

I can only assume Alan Sugar has spat the dummy given people are retweeting his racist 'jokes'.

Buelligan

I always think he looks like a thoroughly unpleasant hedgehog and I really like hedgehogs.

Non Stop Dancer

Not strictly to do with this in particular and I'm sure this is a very naive question which has an obvious "No, here's why" answer, but would you not get rid of most of the bot accounts (which to me appear to account for at least 50% of the issues with the platform) if you had to pay a nominal fee to use Twitter? Just a one-time payment of a quid for example?

Paul Calf

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on July 27, 2020, 12:01:52 PM
Not strictly to do with this in particular and I'm sure this is a very naive question which has an obvious "No, here's why" answer, but would you not get rid of most of the bot accounts (which to me appear to account for at least 50% of the issues with the platform) if you had to pay a nominal fee to use Twitter? Just a one-time payment of a quid for example?

You'd kill the service forever.  Paywalls have been tried before and have always been kryptonite to engagement.

BUT THAT IS A GOOD THING BECAUSE...

HOT TAKE INCOMING... HOT TAKE INCOMING... HOT TAKE INCOMING... HOT TAKE INCOMING... HOT TAKE INCOMING

TWITTER IS NARSTY AND HORRID AND I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I REFUSE TO EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE ITS EXISTENCE!

Ignorance is strength.

Marner and Me

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 27, 2020, 10:15:18 AM
Lots of big names staying off Twitter for 48 hours due to some high profile AS tweets and Twitter's refusal to delete them or suspend the accounts.

Now, I have no issue whatsoever with this and taking a stand might finally get something done by the Twitter overlords, but so many of the people using the #NoSafePlaceForJewHate hashtag are saying what a vile racist place Twitter is as they announce their temporary hiatus.

Why not stay off it permanently?
Or at least until Twitter take action and change their policy on what constitutes hate speech?

Not sure what my point is, but this just strikes me as another case of someone wanting to join in with a 'movement' without actually doing anything except telling everyone about this worthy thing they're doing (see also NHS clapping).

For some reason this has really annoyed me.
Rant over.

Twatter is the place where people will read their views, generate likes and whatever else. They probably can't afford to stay off. I had Twatter for about half an hour and thought it was a load of wank. Filled with people needlessly abusing each other and sadacts jizzing themselves when a Z lister retweets them, or follows them.

Pinball

Social media is a hate amplifier, and Twitter and Facebook in particular.

Hate-free social media platforms are what we want.

Bastards ;-)

Pdine

Why does that hashtag use 'JewHate' rather than 'AntiSemitism'? Are they worried people won't understand? The problem with 'JewHate' is that I could see people reading that and thinking 'Who is it the Jews hate?'...

Buelligan

Or even let's hate some Jews together here.  Very odd choice.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pdine on July 27, 2020, 12:35:57 PM
Why does that hashtag use 'JewHate' rather than 'AntiSemitism'? Are they worried people won't understand? The problem with 'JewHate' is that I could see people reading that and thinking 'Who is it the Jews hate?'...

Given recent events, I don't think I quite know what anti-semitism is anymore.

Twonty Gostelow

#AnotherHeroOfTheYentlJewersGetsItInTheNeck

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tweeted before I heard about this happening, sorry All Jews.

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

Coercing the left into thinking that Wiley is 'one of us' or that it demands a large-scale political response is what these chancers want.

Owen Jones, useful idiot that he is, has obvs gone along with it.

idunnosomename

Yeah joining in with this sort of thing will just be twisted against him. It's just moving the focus from actual oppressed minorities to oh no people call Rachael Riley and David Baddiel bad words on twitter

buzby

Tracy-Ann Ooberman was on 5Live this morning getting interviewed about this. She didn't come across that well, I thought. She sounded a bit like Bonnie Langford's Violet Bott from Just William - 'I'll scthweam and scthweam 'til I make myself sick!'.

idunnosomename

Also putting it all onto a black man who clearly has gone a bit mental when uk rags are allowed to crow about Soros and cultural marxism is fucking incredibly offensive

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Pinball on July 27, 2020, 12:23:08 PM
Social media is a hate amplifier, and Twitter and Facebook in particular.

Hate-free social media platforms are what we want.

Bastards ;-)

You only get out what you put in, i think humans aren't ready for world-scale mass participation two-way broadcast media yet.

Maybe redesign twitter so you can only communicate publicly with those who live in a 10-mile radius. Then if you cause trouble, someone can come and find you.

ersatz99

Denoting something or someone's popularity is a curse for genuine discourse. Get rid of displaying the number of followers/retweets/likes and people's motivations might change for the good.

Pijlstaart

It's just sad that a nice young man like Wiley, too nice if anything, could be led so far astray, and we have to ask ourselves if the problem really was twitter? Because it wasn't twitter was it, it was a certain £3 lentil coven, and I know this because when I paid my £3 lentil fee I was taken with Wiley and all the other new recruits into a north london allotment shed and inside was a tunnel, down down down we went, dark twisting peat tunnels strewn with lentil husks, and after several minutes the tunnel opened to this wet low-ceilinged chamber, and in the center of the chamber was a massive polecat in a jersey, and it said "Welcome to my burrow, I've brought you here today to tell you the truth about Israel". The polecat was a poor orator and his powerpoint presentation kept freezing, but Wiley and some of the others, addled on compost fumes, were nodding and agreeing and praying to the polecat. I was pointing at Wiley and then at the polecat and clutching my head. After several days we were released back out to the surface world and, as my involvement in the UK grime scene had been winding down for some time, I never had cause to see Wiley again.

Maybe I should have reached out to him, maybe I should have plugged the entrance to the lentil burrow with a novelty allotment marrow, maybe I should have boycotted the burrow for a 48-hour period and then returned, hindsight is not always 20/20, but I do know that poor sweet Wiley lived for twitter, he used it to co-ordinate prayer meetings and bowls club. Banning him permanently wouldn't be right, to tackle this problem we have to get to the source of Wiley's corruption, which was definitely in the £3 lentil burrow, and not before. I imagine when Wiley's 7 day ban is up he'll have returned to his old straight-laced self and will attempt to make amends by hosting a series of conciliatory tea mornings for Jewish playgroups, culminating in the presentation of a tasteful taxpayer-funded redemption mural.

Barry Admin

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 27, 2020, 10:15:18 AM
Why not stay off it permanently? Or at least until Twitter take action and change their policy on what constitutes hate speech?

Yeah I've always found this hilarious and tragic in equal measure. People will change their displayed name to #PleaseGetTheNazisOffTwitter but then happily continue to use the platform because they need their dopamine hit.

Flouncer

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 27, 2020, 01:40:15 PM
Also putting it all onto a black man who clearly has gone a bit mental when uk rags are allowed to crow about Soros and cultural marxism is fucking incredibly offensive

What did he actually say? I've read an article about it on BBC News but it didn't specify what he'd said - I take it he's said some genuinely nasty stuff?

Mister Six

Don't even know who Wiley is, but I just went to his Twitter page and about 20 tweets have been deleted, so I guess this worked? Sort of?

Quote from: Flouncer on July 27, 2020, 02:19:01 PM
What did he actually say? I've read an article about it on BBC News but it didn't specify what he'd said - I take it he's said some genuinely nasty stuff?

According to the Guardian he called Jewish people snakes and cowards, not really clear why because I couldn't be arsed reading the whole thing. I assume it's one of those mental conspiracy theories about Jews controlling the world or something.

Very interesting to compare the historical trajectory (and political weaponization) of antisemitism versus Sinophobia, including by consideration of the historical atrocities committed against each "racial" group in the recent past.

(But surely this isn't all just cover for Western geopolitical interests!)