Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:27:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

#NoSafePlaceForJewHate

Started by DrGreggles, July 27, 2020, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabian Thomsett

I'm fully supportive of some of the worst people on twitter shutting the fuck up for a few days.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 27, 2020, 02:49:11 PM
Very interesting to compare the historical trajectory (and political weaponization) of antisemitism versus Sinophobia, including by consideration of the historical atrocities committed against each "racial" group in the recent past.

(But surely this isn't all just cover for Western geopolitical interests!)
Is there much Sinophobia?

jobotic

What Wiley said was pretty vile.

He represents Wiley though. Not the left, or BLM as some will now pretend.

Mister Six

Quote from: Endicott on July 27, 2020, 02:41:11 PM
Pretty nasty, I'd say, according to this.

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/what-did-wiley-say-twitter-grime-rappers-antisemitic-tweets-explained-and-how-priti-patel-and-mps-responded-2925134

Oof, yes:

QuoteAmongst his tweets, Wiley also wrote that Jewish people should "hold some corn" which is a slang expression meaning "to be shot". He added: "Jewish community you deserve it."

Fambo Number Mive

As a more general comment on Twitter, I've just noticed two racist tweets on Twitter (one of them anti-Semitic) but I can't report them unless I login to my Twitter account, and I can't remember the login. Given how many people browse Twitter without logging in, it would make sense to have a better reporting function.

There's also a lot of tweets spreading false information about coronavirus on Twitter which the social media platform doesn't seem to be doing much about.

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 27, 2020, 03:03:52 PM
Is there much Sinophobia?

I understand you can catch it from seeds now but it's difficult to tell because the media is infected with fake news, at least I believe that to be true but we're post truth now, aren't we?

pigamus

Quote from: Mister Six on July 27, 2020, 02:39:27 PM
Don't even know who Wiley is, but I just went to his Twitter page and about 20 tweets have been deleted, so I guess this worked? Sort of?

According to the Guardian he called Jewish people snakes and cowards, not really clear why because I couldn't be arsed reading the whole thing. I assume it's one of those mental conspiracy theories about Jews controlling the world or something.

I hope it's not some twisted defence of Jeremy Corbyn.

Buelligan

I think it's worse than that.  Wiley is Corbyn, its a pseudonym, all the big grime fellows have them now.  That's the point.  He must be PURGED.  Purged and scourged for all our sakes or God will know and cast us out from this paradise we now inhabit.

Rachel Fox, star of Question Time and Countdown

Blinder Data

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 27, 2020, 01:40:15 PM
Also putting it all onto a black man who clearly has gone a bit mental when uk rags are allowed to crow about Soros and cultural marxism is fucking incredibly offensive

I wouldn't say they're putting it all on Wiley though? The people are taking aim at Facebook/Twitter themselves for allowing Wiley's tweets to be up for so long - I think the protest lasts as long as the tweets were up for. Wiley's tweets speak for themselves, really.

I gave up Twitter a week or so ago and, while I've replaced some of the time I spent pissing about on it with other distractions, I feel much better. It's a rabbithole of endless echo chambers, a computer game that can never be completed. I would recommend giving it up to everybody!

Quote from: Mister Six on July 27, 2020, 03:11:10 PM
Oof, yes:

'Hold some corn' definitely doesn't mean to shoot someone, Wiley said some terrible things so there's no need for them to push this side of things, which is based on someone on twitter sharing an Urban Dictionary entry.

'Corn' in the UK Drill world means bullets and so people have incorrectly deduced that 'hold' = receive them, in a literal sense. It actually means just to take shots at someone or receive them, in a verbal sense, so in Wiley's case he was saying that based on his ugly conspiracy beliefs he thinks Jewish people need to 'hold some corn' aka take criticism for all the usual Farrakhan-esque reasons.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: https://www.nme.com/news/music/wiley-responds-to-antisemitism-accusations-israel-tweets-2714668
"I don't care Cos Israel is ours what about that," Wiley wrote, before later adding: "Listen to me Jewish community Israel is not your country I'm sorry."

I didn't know there were Black Hebrew Israelites outside the US.

Buelligan

I didn't read his tweets but is it possible he's drawing a parallel between the Jewish idea of a right to Palestine and other religious ideas, like Christians killing everyone so's they can put God back in Jerusalem or even Rastafarians believing in zion (which, is a variable concept for them as I understand it and nothing to do with the ME), saying, no one has a right to take someone else's home away just because their magic book tells them they do?  Dunno, didn't read what he wrote but that could be an explanation.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 27, 2020, 03:55:18 PM
Are you joking???

No. I see a lot of - although at the same time possibly not enough - criticism of a murderous, oppressive authoritarian government, but very little antipathy towards actual Chinese people.

Fambo Number Mive

There has been a marked rise in Sinophobia since December 2019, fanned by sections of the media and some politicians. I'm not sure about before the pandemic, but then again I'm not Chinese so am not going to directly experience Sinophobia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_xenophobia_and_racism_related_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic

The whole "China Virus" from Trump is probably going to be taken up by Trump-like figures in the UK.

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 27, 2020, 04:53:12 PM
No. I see a lot of - although at the same time possibly not enough - criticism of a murderous, oppressive authoritarian government, but very little antipathy towards actual Chinese people.

How about a Twitter blackout to protest the President of the United States using racial slurs like "kung flu" and top officials circulating racist conspiracy theories that Covid-19 was engineered in a lab to harm White Civilization? This is just the current situation, of course, and does not taking into account the centuries of anti-Chinese oppression and fear-mongering that plays a central role in Western history.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/12/covid-19-fueling-anti-asian-racism-and-xenophobia-worldwide#

Your ignorant, xenophobic anti-China talking points aren't helping matters either.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 27, 2020, 03:55:51 PM
As a more general comment on Twitter, I've just noticed two racist tweets on Twitter (one of them anti-Semitic) but I can't report them unless I login to my Twitter account, and I can't remember the login. Given how many people browse Twitter without logging in, it would make sense to have a better reporting function.

There's also a lot of tweets spreading false information about coronavirus on Twitter which the social media platform doesn't seem to be doing much about.

They don't properly handle reports from signed in members anyway. But having reports from non-verified users would just be an invitation to bots.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 27, 2020, 04:59:41 PM
How about a Twitter blackout to protest the President of the United States using racial slurs like "kung flu" and top officials circulating racist conspiracy theories that Covid-19 was engineered in a lab to harm White Civilization? This is just the current situation, of course, and does not taking into account the centuries of anti-Chinese oppression and fear-mongering that plays a central role in Western history.

You'll have to excuse me. There's a huge part of the world just outside the USA called 'not the USA' and that's where I live.

Your ignorant, xenophobic anti-China talking points aren't helping matters either.

Which ones are these then?

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 27, 2020, 05:09:19 PM
You'll have to excuse me. There's a huge part of the world just outside the USA called 'not the USA' and that's where I live.

Oh, silly me, I didn't realize you were using the UK-only version of Twitter. In any event, maybe you should research the history of British intervention in China.

Also:

QuoteUnited Kingdom

Several violent attacks against people of Asian descent were reported when the Covid-19 outbreak began in the UK in February, including several physical attacks or beatings.

In early May, Sky News reported that data it had obtained through Freedom of Information requests to various regional UK police forces showed at least 267 anti-Asian hate crimes recorded across the country between January and March. In many jurisdictions, the figures for the first three months of 2020 were higher than all of 2018 or 2019. The figures from the British Transport Police between January and March, for instance, showed anti-Asian (or "anti-Chinese") hate crime incidents matching the total number of complaints during all of 2019.

Stop Hate UK, an anti-racism group, reported in March that it had received increasing numbers of calls or reports of "racism, discrimination, and verbal abuse, arising from perceptions that they are members of the Chinese community."

The senior-most UK police official responsible for hate crime nationally has stated publicly that police forces are monitoring anti-Asian hate crime and take such crimes seriously. In a recent release of crime statistics generally during the Covid-19 outbreak, however, police authorities focused on crime decreasing generally, without noting the rise in anti-Asian hate crime or indicating steps they are taking to stop it.

Several of the country's local police forces did not provide information to the Sky News Freedom of Information requests about Covid-19-related hate crimes. This raises concerns about whether they are collecting data on anti-Asian hate crimes and whether they are monitoring and disaggregating hate crime by ethnicity, despite clear official guidance to do so.

BlodwynPig

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2020, 05:17:23 PM
Vile... would you thus agree calling anyone a snake is vile?

depends on the context but 'jews are snakes' is pretty vile

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on July 27, 2020, 04:25:04 PM
I think it's worse than that.  Wiley is Corbyn, its a pseudonym, all the big grime fellows have them now.  That's the point.  He must be PURGED.  Purged and scourged for all our sakes or God will know and cast us out from this paradise we now inhabit.

Rachel Fox, star of Question Time and Countdown

"vile" slur there buelligan.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on July 27, 2020, 05:18:21 PM
depends on the context but 'jews are snakes' is pretty vile

vile...a word so beloved of our enemies.

I don't think it's vile. I find that they deserve death to be the worst bit. That is deserving of opprobrium.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2020, 05:20:59 PM
vile...a word so beloved of our enemies.

I don't think it's vile. I find that they deserve death to be the worst bit. That is deserving of opprobrium.

well there are different degrees of hate speech. I don't see what's your point.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on July 27, 2020, 05:49:48 PM
well there are different degrees of hate speech. I don't see what's your point.

the use of the word vile. Nothing else wrong with your sentiments, how could there be.

BlodwynPig

Great...now Tyskie are dedicating a show to this bunch of balls.

bgmnts

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 27, 2020, 05:09:19 PM

Which ones are these then?

https://youtu.be/Z9jVqmF2uzM

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2020, 05:50:39 PM
the use of the word vile. Nothing else wrong with your sentiments, how could there be.

right, sorry for the misunderstanding

Paul Calf