Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,478
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:46:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#NoSafePlaceForJewHate

Started by DrGreggles, July 27, 2020, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

honeychile

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 28, 2020, 07:41:02 PMIt is interesting how sympathetic people in this thread have been towards him. If he wasn't a Corbyn supporter and talked about Muslim conspiracies, I wonder whether people would've been as understanding...

Actually what struck me reading the tweets was exactly the fact that they seemed like the bog-standard "try criticising the muslims these days and see how quickly the police come after you" kind of crap you see all over Twitter. It was antisemitic bullshit, but the kind of conspiratorial twattery which characterises much of the platform. Much as i hate it all, i don't really like seeing people banned from anything for stuff unless it's incitement to violence, or persistent/extreme harassment. I'd also rather in general that people don't delete stuff which is deemed offensive because i'd rather it stood; when if i posted offensive stuff on here, i'd rather the conversation stand so the context of how i fucked up is clear.

Have to admit though that i did feel safer knowing that so many widely-acknowledged bell-ends have decided not to post for 48 hours. Can i recommend this as a more permanent measure, strictly for the safety of our community of course.

BlodwynPig

Maybe while everyone is away, someone can populate Twitter with an ageing Kris Akabusi doing his "awooga" schtick backed by some italo-disco, so when they all return they'll go delirious. Is that how Twitter works?

jobotic

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 28, 2020, 07:41:02 PM
What Wiley has been posting is definitely anti-semitic and is unacceptable. I'm glad he's been banned from Facebook/Twitter, not only because of what he said but also because it looks he's not doing so well and social media + mental instability = total shit

It is interesting how sympathetic people in this thread have been towards him. If he wasn't a Corbyn supporter and talked about Muslim conspiracies, I wonder whether people would've been as understanding...

No one has disagreed with your first paragraph, so why did you feel the need to make that crap up in your second?

C_Larence

Wiley's posts are disgusting and very clearly anti-semitic. I half expected them to just be criticisms of Israel from the way the media were reporting it, but no they were unabashed jew hatred. Still, I fundamentally disagree with the concept of a twitter "walkout" in almost every conceivable way.

My issues are:

1) Not enough people will ever do it for it to have the affect the people doing it seem to expect. I listened to Emma Barnett's 5 Live show (not by choice) yesterday, and she kept talking about whether Jack (founder of twitter) was going to make a statement. Of course he bloody isn't, there are close to half a billion twitter users. A couple thousand boycotting the site (for two days) will not register.

2) Making a hashtag for it is counterintuitive, if nobody's posting...

3) Why is it being done now? How were one person's posts the catalyst for this? It hardly helps dispute the notion that the jews are in control when attacking them is the only time that things like this happen.

4) I personally don't notice when someone stops posting. Maybe after a while I think I haven't seen their posts in a while, but my point is that not posting is the worst way to get people to take notice of your cause.

It all just feels so British to me, so self important in comparison to how little anyone outside of the country actually cares about us anymore.

Flouncer

I don't think anyone has come out to bat for him in this thread, unless you count acknowledging that he's got mental health stuff going on. My only problem with this boycott thing relates to some of the people who are participating in it - people who don't give a flying fuck about any other kind of discrimination. Some of them clearly hold the attitude that antisemitism is the only kind of racism we should be worried about, in spite of the fact that they personally have shitloads of privilege and face very little discrimination compared to, say, those currently fighting for justice in the BLM movement. This attitude stinks of a particularly selfish brand of exceptionalism.

C_Larence

^^Exactly.

Stephen Bush (a journalist who is apparently both black and jewish) was a guest on the five live show I mentioned in my post above. Someone texted to ask why he hadn't boycotted twitter for anything else, why now? His answer was "this is actually a stand against all types of racism". Except it obviously isn't because you've only deigned to do it once one specific type of racism happened, with a hashtag and surrounding discourse that makes it very clear it's about anti semitism. He also expressed a very woe is me attitude about having to ask his friends who he had never stood up for to join him in the boycott.

canadagoose

Well I've done it, I figured I could show some solidarity. Posted a few bits of crap on Mastodon to satiate my addiction instead, which I think is fine. Twitter's constant "tolerance" (i.e. lack of proper moderation, mainly in favour of accounts with big followings) is a bit of a pain and I know what it's like. I think I did the one for black people a while back but I might have done it on the wrong day because there were two 24-hour periods proposed and I didn't know which one was the proper one. Doesn't harm anyone and it's a decent thing to do.

Flouncer

Quote from: canadagoose on July 28, 2020, 11:28:18 PM
Well I've done it, I figured I could show some solidarity. Posted a few bits of crap on Mastodon to satiate my addiction instead, which I think is fine. Twitter's constant "tolerance" (i.e. lack of proper moderation, mainly in favour of accounts with big followings) is a bit of a pain and I know what it's like. I think I did the one for black people a while back but I might have done it on the wrong day because there were two 24-hour periods proposed and I didn't know which one was the proper one. Doesn't harm anyone and it's a decent thing to do.

No doubt there are plenty of people taking part in it in good faith which is totally commendable. I do suspect however, that many of the high profile ones wouldn't cross the road to support BLM, and in some cases actively oppose it. Alan Sugar in particular sticks out like a sore thumb, having made a racist joke on Twitter himself, then refusing to apologise when called out on it - he probably sees no irony at all in taking a stance against racism on social media.

canadagoose

Quote from: Flouncer on July 28, 2020, 11:38:03 PM
No doubt there are plenty of people taking part in it in good faith which is totally commendable. I do suspect however, that many of the high profile ones wouldn't cross the road to support BLM, and in some cases actively oppose it. Alan Sugar in particular sticks out like a sore thumb, having made a racist joke on Twitter himself, then refusing to apologise when called out on it - he probably sees no irony at all in taking a stance against racism on social media.
Oh Sugar's a bit of a dick isn't he, he should think twice before his little racist quips IMO. I've probably got him muted. I don't like how Tory MPs are pretending to care about racism either. I wouldn't trust any Tory politician.

idunnosomename

sugar is in the house of lords of course, lest us forget

Fabian Thomsett

It genuinely has been more serene on twitter the last few days.

A lot of aggro on twitter really is caused by blue ticks  wanting attention and kicking off about this, that and the other. Really want them to continue making their stand against one type of racism only.

idunnosomename

no james o'brain. lovely stuff.

edit oh god he changed his ava from a child's drawing of his childish book to this

fucking hell

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 29, 2020, 12:32:18 AM
no james o'brain. lovely stuff.

edit oh god he changed his ava from a child's drawing of his childish book to this

fucking hell

I wouldn't look so pleased with myself if I'd done that to my hair. What has he done with his hair?

Johnny Yesno

Sebastian Cobb

This is a pretty funny end-chapter to the 48 hour twitter thing.

Owen Jones has basically returned to twitter making big grovelling apologies because the editors at the big moral arbiters of racism that is The Guardian fucked up and used a picture of Kano instead of Wiley on his article about all this.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1288404140457107456

Blinder Data

Quote from: jobotic on July 28, 2020, 10:06:40 PM
No one has disagreed with your first paragraph, so why did you feel the need to make that crap up in your second?

Maybe "sympathetic" was too strong a word, but reading back I can see what looks like attempts to explain away Wiley's rationale and some vague negative descriptions of what he said, rather than outright denunciation for what it is (apart from Thomas). I know cynicism expressed towards anti-semitism's more vocal opponents is to be expected on here - and is fully merited for the likes of Sugar - but overall the tone I get when it comes to this topic on here could be described as "arsed cigs".

Buelligan

You should change your filters then mate, they're full of shit.  Hth.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Buelligan on July 29, 2020, 10:36:47 AM
You should change your filters then mate, they're full of shit.  Hth.

Hmm, it seems so. I wonder - who's producing all that shit that's clogging up my filters? ;)

Buelligan

I've been watching for a while and have noticed a hole in your own dear bottom that seems to be leaking.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 29, 2020, 10:32:42 AM

Owen Jones has basically returned to twitter making big grovelling apologies because the editors at the big moral arbiters of racism that is The Guardian fucked up and used a picture of Kano instead of Wiley on his article about all this.

oh deary me

pancreas

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 29, 2020, 10:42:37 AM
Hmm, it seems so. I wonder - who's producing all that shit that's clogging up my filters? ;)

I suspect the problem is that in order to inoculate yourself against any acceptance of your own failures and those of the establishment politicians you have allied yourself with, you have decided they must be right and we probably are all a bit antisemitic. This thread has been servicing your confirmation bias.

BlodwynPig

Another quarter for the merry-go-round. Tiresome

king_tubby

The Guardian (plus many other media outlets) reported on the death of Denise Johnson using a picture that wasn't of Denise Johnson.

Buelligan

It's just extremely strange.  The Guardian appears to be highly sensitive and sensitised to issues around racism and antisemitism (as it should be), then going and doing this stuff.  Inexplicable - for one, I would imagine (hope) that their picture library is catalogued by name, rather than race.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on July 29, 2020, 11:27:10 AM
It's just extremely strange.  The Guardian appears to be highly sensitive and sensitised to issues around racism and antisemitism (as it should be), then going and doing this stuff.  Inexplicable - for one, I would imagine (hope) that their picture library is catalogued by name, rather than race.

I doubt very much it was a racist gesture. Probably a symptom of the wholesale decline in media standards. Some 18 year old oik with no cultural awareness or particularly rigorous attention to their job selects the wrong photo. The editor doesn't bother to check either.

It, of course, will be construed as hypocrisy, but it is much more about a failed 4th estate.

Buelligan

I agree, I doubt very much that these instances were racist gestures.  I'm open to the idea that a picture editor at the Guardian may be trying to make a point - that, for all their scruples and pearl-clutchings, these Graun luvvies are as ugly as the rest.  But, if not that, is it possible that these are just mistakes, given that their photographs must be catalogued, titled and ordered in some way?

It clearly is an underlining of the, as you put it, failed 4th estate.  Minuscule scrutiny for some, carte blanche for the rest.

The Barclay brothers, distraught

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on July 29, 2020, 11:27:10 AM

It happens to be one of the first images on image search but a lot of places are using things like getty these days, which can be known to be wrong. But given this happens pretty regularly and it's especially embarrassing when it happens to black people you'd think it's part of an editor's job to take steps to not fuck this up.

This is part of the problem though, they're searching via a search tool and trusting some automatic systems whereas in the analogue days there would be someone whose jobs would be to ontologically sort this stuff just so they could manage it.

Buelligan

If the Guardian really just type a search into google for an image, why not just tell the readership to google it themselves?  In fact, why not leave all of the reporting like that - just have a permanent home page that says, There is some news, go on google to find out what.

You'd certainly cut the overheads and give some of their unpleasant opinion writers a chance to strive for themselves and earn an honest crust.

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 27, 2020, 01:40:15 PM
Also putting it all onto a black man who clearly has gone a bit mental when uk rags are allowed to crow about Soros and cultural marxism is fucking incredibly offensive

or maybe he's just a fucking racist?

"b-b-b-b-but whatabout!!"

Quote from: Buelligan on July 27, 2020, 08:03:43 PM
Oh, the poor mad bugger.

yeah poor bugger - <<hugz>>

had plenty to say about Starkey didn't you?

state broadcaster there - vile