Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,371
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How To Build A Girl (2020 Caitlin Moran film)

Started by dissolute ocelot, July 27, 2020, 10:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on July 28, 2020, 09:14:07 AM
Is her past always being mined like this because she's one of the only columnists who had a non-upper middle class upbringing? I get the impression these things are mainly made for the benefit of her colleagues, who can't believe that someone who has risen to the level of writing opinions for a broadsheet could have had origins that didn't involve public school and an influential media dad.

Her husband Peter Paphides is/was also a music journalist and wrote for the Times, and he has a similarly normal, non-media background. His parents ran a chippy in Birmingham and he attended a small, undistinguished Welsh uni rather than Oxbridge. I'm not his biograper btw, I just read an interview with him years ago and and remembered these details because at the time I lived just down the road from his parent's chippy and I also attended the same small, undistinguished Welsh uni. Not sure when the book and film of his life are coming out.

pigamus

To be fair, it is an achievement doing what she did. The problem is extrapolating from that to say that everybody could do it, or that it would still be possible to do it now, which I don't think it would.

steveh

Quote from: icehaven on July 28, 2020, 12:11:40 PM
Not sure when the book and film of his life are coming out.

The book and radio series already have.

Neomod

Quote from: pigamus on July 28, 2020, 12:33:47 PM
To be fair, it is an achievement doing what she did. The problem is extrapolating from that to say that everybody could do it, or that it would still be possible to do it now, which I don't think it would.

She did apparently/allegedly get her job at the Maker via her boyfriend who was a journalist there at the time, who wasn't Johnny Cigarettes.[nb]because he popped on here in one of the other Moran threads to deny it[/nb] Now I heard this back in the 90's via an NME journo and so it could be your common or garden misogyny/partisanship.

Oh and she was a bit of a shit to 'our Taylor' on his blog once.

Personally she always struck me as a vaguely annoying drama student and as I've no interest in twitter easily avoided.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on July 27, 2020, 05:05:57 PM
Does the person playing her do "the face" in this?

This deserves a repost...

(Made by lazarou.)

Brundle-Fly

It can't be any more disappointing than the other movie about the 1990s UK music scene, Kill Your Friends (2015). 

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: pigamus on July 28, 2020, 12:33:47 PM
The ladder has definitely been pulled up behind them. I would imagine that the number of people who make it any of these industries without a wealthy parent to bankroll their internship is vanishingly small.

Icehaven

Barry Admin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 27, 2020, 08:00:29 PM
Went right off her due to her Twitter. In fact, she's one of the main reasons I stopped even using Twitter. The likes of her, Emma Kennedy and Glinner all thinking they somehow ruled the place. All incredibly smug, annoying, and unfunny. Great times

Her ridiculous reaction to Limmy was the final straw. Think she threatened to chop his nuts off or something because he dared make a joke about her equally hacky husband. Get in bin

Discussion starts here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,29109.msg1924332.html#msg1924332

Seem to remember that this was particularly fun because her threat to make Limmy "piss through a straw", was not long after she'd staged an incredibly pompous "24 hours of silence" Twitter walkout... To protest violent rhetoric on twitter.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 28, 2020, 02:26:39 PM
It can't be any more disappointing than the other movie about the 1990s UK music scene, Kill Your Friends (2015).

I assumed it would never live up to its acerbic glory long before it was revealed it starred Corden and that smug melt from Skins.

Ghostly Pale

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2020, 11:23:55 AM
So this isn't a sequel to Weird Science? Arsed then.

Haha. I was also rather hoping for a yam yam Frankenhooker.

In the bit where she is 'performatively nasty', does she publicly request the singer of Neds Atomic Dustbin consider following Kurt Cobain's example and end his life, during an actual review?

Or is it not THAT kind of autobiographical?

Custard

Famous Mortimer

FrannyGallops, you're alright by me.

QuoteI think it's actually her novel 'How to build a Girl' that's been made into a film. Not sure how you got them mixed up because one is an autobiographical account of her growing up in a large family in a council house then becoming a teenage music journalist sensation and the other is fiction about a fictional girl who grew up in a large family in a council house who becomes a teenage music journalist sensation. Neither of which is to be confused with her sitcom about a teenager in a large family growing up in a council house.

Rev+

Quote from: Ghostly Pale on July 29, 2020, 12:27:12 AM
In the bit where she is 'performatively nasty', does she publicly request the singer of Neds Atomic Dustbin consider following Kurt Cobain's example and end his life, during an actual review?

Or is it not THAT kind of autobiographical?

You already know the answer, but it's mainly criticising hair.

Oh, and 'Jump Around by House of Pain is the kind of music testicles would make'.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember when she was a co-host on one of the failed attempts to replace The Word on Channel 4 (Girlie Show maybe??) in one episode she wore a purple crushed velvet dress and a reviewer described her as "a fat goth" and she was absolutely furious!

greenman

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 29, 2020, 02:11:14 AM
I remember when she was a co-host on one of the failed attempts to replace The Word on Channel 4 (Girlie Show maybe??) in one episode she wore a purple crushed velvet dress and a reviewer described her as "a fat goth" and she was absolutely furious!

Needless to say she had the last laugh.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2020, 11:23:55 AM
So this isn't a sequel to Weird Science? Arsed then.

Surely a prequel? And a bloody dark one at that.

jobotic

Quite rightly. She's right about Jump Around too.

She's still a Murdoch writer though. So she can fuck off.

Twit 2

I saw her on TV once and she was one of the most viscerally irritating people I've ever seen. My wife had started reading one of her books without really knowing who she was. I remember her saying, "Oh God, she's awful!" and then never finishing the book.

Custard

Grace Dent is better. Or at least was. Is Grace Dent still alright?

Head Gardener

things like using an real NME cover with Frank Black on it and changing the papers name to D&ME (Disc & Music Echo) gets my goat,
although there was probably a good reason for doing it in the film I can't think of one off hand.

Famous Mortimer

No sense criticising how she looks (apart from that stupid fucking face she pulls every ten seconds), best to stick to how she's boring and not a good writer and thinks the sun shines out of her own arse and gets her daughter's song played on 6 Music because she knows the DJ and once produced an article about how she simply had to buy a dog from a breeder, not get one from a rescue because of reasons and broke lockdown protocol the same week she wrote a piece about how easy lockdown was.

Captain Crunch

I remember when she was a co-host on one of the failed attempts to replace The Word on Channel 4 (Girlie Show maybe??

Naked City.  Painful then and painful now BUT some bright spark had the good sense to film an extra sister show while they had the bands in. 

Manics, probably the best

Another good one from Pulp

A bit of a limp show from Blur

and The Charlatans did one but it's all chopped up on youtube. 

non capisco

I remember Naked City less for Caitlin Moran and more for Andrew Collins and Stuart Maconie doing a supposedly humorous segment called 'The Hipster's Guide' that died on its arse every single week. I don't think Naked City was live, was it? If it wasn't I have no idea why they kept that in the edit, literally not a solitary audience member laughing and flop sweat dripping off the pair as they started talking faster to get the fucking thing over with. "Probably want to drop that The Hipster's Guide thing, it was a disaster, no one laughed once." "Nah, let's have five more of them." Is that in this film of hers?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Such a painful segment, that. The NME and Melody Maker thinking they could easily transfer the flip humour of their articles over to television. Collins and Maconie had never appeared on television before, they were just a couple of King's Reach Tower smartarses way out of their depth. It showed.

Say what you like about Danny Baker - I like him - but he always knew how to present that sort of thing on television. Not only because he's a better writer than Collins, Maconie and Moran, but because he's aware of how silly and preposterous it all is. He has never tried to look cool on television.

Mind you, Paul Morley presenting Win, Lose or Draw would've been quite a thing to see.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 29, 2020, 11:08:54 PM
Naked City.  Painful then and painful now BUT some bright spark had the good sense to film an extra sister show while they had the bands in. 

Manics, probably the best

Another good one from Pulp

A bit of a limp show from Blur

and The Charlatans did one but it's all chopped up on youtube.

'kin hell, that Manics performance is magnificent.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: non capisco on July 29, 2020, 11:28:22 PM
I remember Naked City less for Caitlin Moran and more for Andrew Collins and Stuart Maconie doing a supposedly humorous segment called 'The Hipster's Guide' that died on its arse every single week. I don't think Naked City was live, was it? If it wasn't I have no idea why they kept that in the edit, literally not a solitary audience member laughing and flop sweat dripping off the pair as they started talking faster to get the fucking thing over with. "Probably want to drop that The Hipster's Guide thing, it was a disaster, no one laughed once." "Nah, let's have five more of them." Is that in this film of hers?
I'd completely suppressed that, then the horrible memories of it came bubbling up when you mentioned it.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: olliebean on July 27, 2020, 08:25:52 PM
Just watched the trailer. She didn't do "the face" once. What a swizz!

(Also it looks really awful and has Emma Thomson in it, so that's two more reasons not to see it.)
This is another thing, Emma Thomson is in it literally for 30 seconds, and yet I've seen her get 2nd or 3rd billing.