Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Perry Mason (HBO series)

Started by Two Headed Sex Beast, July 27, 2020, 12:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Headed Sex Beast

I couldn't see a thread about this – is anyone else watching it? It's very very good, imo. I loved Matthew Rhys in the Americans and he's doing an equally good job here. It's dark, it's LA Noire-ish, it's got some very funny moments (the scenes with the morgue attendant in particular). It's already been renewed for season 2.

Ja'moke

I'm watching (and recapping it for TV Insider). It's very solid. It doesn't really break any new ground or blow me away, but what it does, it does well. It looks gorgeous, the acting is stellar, nails the film noir style, and like OP says, there is some nice humour to it so it isn't completely dour gritty modern drama.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Something I learned today - the LA restaurants featured in the show are places that have been open from the 30s until today. https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1287951437473787905?s=19

steveh

It looks great and I've been generally enjoying it but I can't help feeling that at it's heart it's just a rather commonplace detective procedural that's had an awful lot of money spent on glamming it up.

Two Headed Sex Beast

True, and like Ja'moke says it's not doing much new - it's just doing it well. There are several themes being explored which elevates it a bit above a commonplace procedural for me. The role of the women in the story and in society, what it means to be a father (Perry, EB, Baggerly), the black cop and his family's place in society (which obviously resonates with current events), and the more explicitly stated "there's what's legal, and there's what's right".

I'm on episode 5 and haven't really figured where Tatiana Maslany's character is headed in the story. She's incredibly watchable though.

Dex Sawash

Why could this have not happened long enough ago that HBO could have showed us Raymond Burr's tits?