Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lose weight says government.

Started by bgmnts, July 27, 2020, 02:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

You lose weight first Boris. Daft cunt

greenman

Quote from: frajer on July 27, 2020, 04:17:59 PM
Diet, then die.

Fondest regards,
Boris

Death, both cutting down on your tax bill and helping with weightloss.

JamesTC

Quote from: greenman on July 27, 2020, 10:29:01 PM
Death, both cutting down on your tax bill and helping with weightloss.

Say what you like about Boris but he has already helped over 40,000 people lose weight since March.

I'll lose weight when you give me a retirement worth looking forward to, you cunt.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Buelligan on July 27, 2020, 09:48:13 PM
All well and good, all well and good BUT the question remains, what happened to the fat ones?
i genuinely do not know why there are no massive egyptian sarcophagi for pharaohs with glandular issues, but of course a lot of tomb chambers were plundered so we have very few pre-ptolemaic period left, so maybe there were some porkers?!??!

Buelligan

My point was simply that the stringy ones, from the evidence at hand, appear not to moulder away fastest.  Quite the contrary.   That is entirely the sphere of the plump.

You can't go about tossing off these statements without expecting peer review and healthy challenge.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: canadagoose on July 27, 2020, 10:20:12 PM
You lose weight first Boris. Daft cunt

ITV running with stock footage of Boris being very active on bicycles this morning. "Look, you're leader is fit, why can't you be fit? Here's a 50 pound voucher for bike repairs. Sorry if you are blind or visually impaired and can't cycle to work because of big Lorries".

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JamesTC on July 27, 2020, 10:30:40 PM
Say what you like about Boris but he has already helped over 80,000 people lose weight since March.

ftfy

frajer

Boris is your god cycle so fast, super 300% fit and defeater of evil Lord Covid
Live forever inhaling rays from his cottage cheese arsecheeks

JamesTC

Save our NHS! Fuck off and die!

Coming for are brave Percy Pigs now:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jul/29/percy-pig-packaging-wilfully-misleading-says-obesity-campaign

Still can't quite understand their logic for targeting Percy Pig when Starburst and Fruit Pastilles were crowing about using real fruit juice for decades before Percy Pigs were even a thing.

Quote"I single out Marks & Spencer here, not because it is the biggest sinner, but because it is such a well-trusted company. A British institution, M&S has the pledge 'we always strive to do the right thing' as one of its guiding principles. If M&S – which is a great deal more scrupulous than many food companies – is guilty of such trickery, you can be sure the practice is ubiquitous."

Yes. It's ubiquitous. Yet you target the relatively small British company that's on it's knees, not the huge, bulletproof multinational conglomerates who pump more sugar into our kids every day than M&S do in a year.

Paul Calf

Quote from: JamesTC on July 27, 2020, 08:26:46 PM
I've lost 4 stone since the start of lockdown so I've lost enough for nine extra people. The first nine responders get my spare loss.

You've lost 4 stone in 4 months?

Have you developed a crack habit?

JamesTC

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 29, 2020, 09:41:45 AM

A silly start to the year of eating 1250 calories a day. The last couple of months I have bumped it up to a more sensible 1500 calories a day. Also five 4 mile runs a week but I've only been doing that for the last month.

Bazooka

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 29, 2020, 09:41:45 AM

Depends how much you weigh to start with, those OK! Magazine 25 stone women loses 5 stone in 2 months sounds dramatic, but with exercise and diet it's easier to shift more, the heavier you are.

Edit: Not saying JamesTC  was a 25 stone women, I lost a stone  in  three weeks a couple of months ago, just by ditching carbs and fighting beggars.

dissolute ocelot

"Lose weight" or "don't be obese" is a fucking stupid health message. There's evidence that telling people to lose weight at least for some people leads to stress, mental illness, and generally worse life outcomes, and for most people it doesn't result in any lasting improvement.

They're maybe progressing from that to a slightly less stupid position where they encourage people to do practical things like exercise more, eat more healthily, and drink and smoke less, which deliver health benefits even if you're fat, while stopping food companies from actively trying to poison us. But there are a huge range of associated factors from air pollution, dangerous roads, unsafe public spaces, and having nowhere to go that make it less pleasant to walk/cycle/exercise, to the shitty state of mental health services, huge levels of stress, chronic illness, lack of free time, and deep poverty, which must be dealt with if we're expecting people to be brave and focused enough to change their lives.

But you know the government is going to do a few cheap things, like taxes or regulations, a token amount of money flung somewhere, and the deeper causes will go on killing people. After all, if the government takes away your pizza, there's always cigarettes or opiates.

Sebastian Cobb

Although health advice is similar sometimes there's much more push-back on shaming poor choices that lead to being overweight than there are things like smoking, where it's considered basically fine to shame/demonise.

I think in terms of food being time poor is probably the biggest contributor, same with exercise. And these twats going on about cooking things from scratch have clearly never lived in house shares where even boiling the kind of rice at that takes longer than 12 minutes will result in unbearable passive-agression should you do it when someone else happens to be hungry.

JamesTC

I think being made to feel guilty about unhealthy foods is a part of the problem. More education is needed on portion sizes and calories rather than demonisation of these foods.

Tomorrow I'll be having a White Oreo bar. Fucking amazing they are. And I won't feel guilty about eating that because I know that I will be eating around 1500 calories that day and that the chocolate bar makes up around 250 calories of that.

idunnosomename

i often dont eat anything till like 3pm since society and my life collapsed. saving a fortune. hooray!

leg going at it like glinner though

itsfredtitmus

Every time I've ever tried dieting just resulted in me being anorexic and going down to dangerous lows on the scale and keeping high cal foods in the fridge as a safety precaution for whenever I felt like I was actually gonna pass out standing up (I did once but luckily someone was there to stop me falling down the stairs)
I've been at both end of the spectrum and ffs fuck diets: sounds SIMPLE but just slow down on the portions and add vegetables and fruit to your consumption instead of fannying about with calories especially if your thinking is already disordered like mine (OCD)

itsfredtitmus

all of my money that I save from borderline starvation - which isn't a lot tbh, eating disorder friendly foods are pretty expensive as it goes - are spent on replacing the clothes that no longer fit me. I convince myself that this is HEALTHY and NORMAL

Denying yourself expenditure because of the financial instability from benefits and parental financial ruin from your childhood, & Eating Disorders are intrinsically linked for me— both as fucked and as harmful as each other

bgmnts

Quote from: Bazooka on July 29, 2020, 08:36:47 PM
Depends how much you weigh to start with, those OK! Magazine 25 stone women loses 5 stone in 2 months sounds dramatic, but with exercise and diet it's easier to shift more, the heavier you are.

Edit: Not saying JamesTC  was a 25 stone women, I lost a stone  in  three weeks a couple of months ago, just by ditching carbs and fighting beggars.

Yeah but its harder to exercise and reverse an unhealthy diet the fatter you are, so I think it balances out.

itsfredtitmus

Exercise does nothing for me it just makes me limit my intake more and more and until you know what
Weigh loss is a very neutertypical trade tbh

Glebe

Lose weight and take revenge on the government by vomming over your local Tory MP.

JamesTC

Quote from: bgmnts on July 30, 2020, 06:58:59 AM
Yeah but its harder to exercise and reverse an unhealthy diet the fatter you are, so I think it balances out.

Losing weight is overwhelmingly about diet rather than exercise. Even with no exercise, a normal person uses between 1800-2500 calories a day to just function without any exercise, so if you eat 500 calories less a day then you lose 1 pound per week. It is significantly harder at any weight to exercise 500 calories a day than to cut that 500 from your diet. The fatter you are, the more calories you use per day to function even without any exercise.

Quote from: JamesTC on July 30, 2020, 08:09:51 AM
Losing weight is overwhelmingly about diet rather than exercise. Even with no exercise, a normal person uses between 1800-2500 calories a day to just function without any exercise, so if you eat 500 calories less a day then you lose 1 pound per week. It is significantly harder at any weight to exercise 500 calories a day than to cut that 500 from your diet. The fatter you are, the more calories you use per day to function even without any exercise.

Yup. You'd have to jog non-stop for an hour to burn that 500 calories. And once you'd done that jog, your body will be absolutely screaming for high calorie food to refuel with, which you'll inevitably give it because "I've been good, I deserve a reward."

You cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

Cloud

Fine by this... from what I've seen they're not telling us what to eat or punishing people for being fat, but doing useful things like insisting that restaurants display calorie counts.  Good!  About time! 

It does actually in a sense make it easier to support restaurants in my view (as much as I loathe to be defending the recommendations of a Tory government) because you know what you're getting into.  I have put a stone and a bit on since the virus (mostly thanks to being FED UP, constantly stressed and worried, and emotionally eating/drinking) and will indeed be trying to shrink back down now that things are creeping back towards normality.  It's a lot easier for me to say "yes lads I'll join you at the Indian" more often, like once every couple of weeks, if they're finally made to put calorie counts on so that it can be "budgeted" for - also I can see right in front of me what damage that peshwari naan would do and maybe skip it, etc.  Rather than it being "well I don't know how many thousands of calories are in this, so I'll just 'cheat'", and finding I can only get away with that that once a month.

And yeah... you can fit certain things in with exercise occasionally if need be, but you need to be VERY wary of it.  When I lost 5.5 stone I was determined to continue having a few pints at the weekend and managed it by pedalling away on an exercise bike for like 3 hours while binge watching Deep Space 9.  Or more recently (before the virus) successfully maintained by walking around for 3 hours playing Pokemon Go and Ingress.  But this is a lot of time to give up so you have to ask if it's really worth it, and it is easy to end up feeling completely fucked because you've burned hundreds of calories on a 10 mile walk but 'fuelled' yourself with empty calories from beer.

I've also found that as a rule of thumb, if you intend to eat/drink back exercise calories, you should divide them by 2.  I have used all manner of exercise calorie counting methods, looked at METs and worked out which is likely giving me an honest reading rather than inflating it to sell more wearables, been strict and pessimistic with any necessary guesstimating of food intake, and still it never seems to be the case that 1 exercise calorie = 1 for your intake budget.   I think there's more to the science of how we calculate calories that hasn't even been uncovered yet and for whatever reason it's more like 1 exercise = 0.5 budget.

poo

Cranked out 2,800 cals on the bike today. Only Gregg and his delicious fructose, white dog shit, and sphincter pies can fill that sort of energy gap. Picnic!!!!!!! 👍👍👍

JamesTC

Absolutely agree that calories on a menu is a great idea. On the couple of occasions I've eaten a big pizza in the last 6 months I have had to estimate and feel like I am wildly out and it has honestly made me feel guilty. Even if the calories are higher than I estimated, I'd have still eaten it but I would have at least known what I am getting into.

Know what you mean about calories from exercise not matching calories lost from diet deficit. If I had to guess I would think it comes down to muscles mass increasing slightly as fat is burned and the body retaining more water as it repairs muscles. When I started running my weight loss stalled for around two weeks as my body started to retain much more water.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cloud on July 30, 2020, 12:05:29 PM
Fine by this... from what I've seen they're not telling us what to eat or punishing people for being fat, but doing useful things like insisting that restaurants display calorie counts.  Good!  About time! 

It does actually in a sense make it easier to support restaurants in my view (as much as I loathe to be defending the recommendations of a Tory government) because you know what you're getting into.  I have put a stone and a bit on since the virus (mostly thanks to being FED UP, constantly stressed and worried, and emotionally eating/drinking) and will indeed be trying to shrink back down now that things are creeping back towards normality.  It's a lot easier for me to say "yes lads I'll join you at the Indian" more often, like once every couple of weeks, if they're finally made to put calorie counts on so that it can be "budgeted" for - also I can see right in front of me what damage that peshwari naan would do and maybe skip it, etc.  Rather than it being "well I don't know how many thousands of calories are in this, so I'll just 'cheat'", and finding I can only get away with that that once a month.

And yeah... you can fit certain things in with exercise occasionally if need be, but you need to be VERY wary of it.  When I lost 5.5 stone I was determined to continue having a few pints at the weekend and managed it by pedalling away on an exercise bike for like 3 hours while binge watching Deep Space 9.  Or more recently (before the virus) successfully maintained by walking around for 3 hours playing Pokemon Go and Ingress.  But this is a lot of time to give up so you have to ask if it's really worth it, and it is easy to end up feeling completely fucked because you've burned hundreds of calories on a 10 mile walk but 'fuelled' yourself with empty calories from beer.

I've also found that as a rule of thumb, if you intend to eat/drink back exercise calories, you should divide them by 2.  I have used all manner of exercise calorie counting methods, looked at METs and worked out which is likely giving me an honest reading rather than inflating it to sell more wearables, been strict and pessimistic with any necessary guesstimating of food intake, and still it never seems to be the case that 1 exercise calorie = 1 for your intake budget.   I think there's more to the science of how we calculate calories that hasn't even been uncovered yet and for whatever reason it's more like 1 exercise = 0.5 budget.

There's a school of thought that calorie counts aren't that effective in restaurants but are quite bad for people with eating disorders.

I think Ben Goldacre makes a good point in that eating healthily isn't actually as complicated as people make out. It's largely a myth perpetuated to benefit the diet industry and unless you're an athlete or have specific dietary conditions simple clear advice like "eat more vegetables and fewer crisps" is all a lot of people need.

frajer

Richard Herring does a good bit about how his How to Lose Weight guide would be a one-page pamphlet that says "consume less calories than you are expending."

But then as Rich's big ole belly shows, existing as a human is seldom as simple as that.