Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wealth before health

Started by Barry Admin, July 27, 2020, 04:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: BBCThe executive's decision to hold off on ordering shoppers to don face coverings was quite a victory for the voluntary approach championed by some local business groups such as Retail NI and the Belfast Chamber of Commerce.

They argued mandatory mask wearing could damage trade and would be impossible to enforce.

Why is it we all continue to go along with this kind of shit? The open contempt and lack of regard that corporations have for the value of human life is absolutely staggering.

I'm one of those stupid, hopeful idiot cunts who thought that all this covid business might lead to a new paradigm or two. As a species, though, we just seem to be a complete and total failure.

I mean, I'm just thinking about the state of the planet before all this kicked off; remembering the Amazonian rainforests - the "lungs of the planet" - burning, for instance. Yeah, fuck it, cut more down, let's frack the old girl too til she blows.

Just a staggering level of selfishness. I'm also just remembering how a lot of us had a certain sense of foreboding over the last few years. Remember that? I must dig some of those threads out. I don't think they're prophetic or anything, rather I think they're evidence that more and more of us are acutely aware that we're now - right now - reaping what we have sewn for so long. I guess there is a small part of me that wonders whether the virus is some kind of self-defence mechanism.

poo

Yes the virus is a direct result of us encroaching on and trashing ecosystems. I wish it all the very best.

Buelligan

I have a similar horrible feeling about it.  I really don't think most people are capable of embracing the idea that they need to make some radical changes.  Odd really because many of them seem extremely able, when someone like Thatcher reveals itself, to embrace the idea of other people being chastised, impoverished or bombed for the good of "all of us". 

I don't think we deserve to continue.

I'm afraid I don't remember the threads though.

Supposed to hit 40c here next week.  Not that the heat and lack of rain will be a problem for the trees, they all burnt last year.

Thursday

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 27, 2020, 04:25:55 PM
I guess there is a small part of me that wonders whether the virus is some kind of self-defence mechanism.

I do find myself thinking about this, although I'm also weary that this is just our tendency to try and contextualise the world as having a kind of dramatic structure. This could be in part why we try to remain hopeful and optimistic in the face of everything. Like we want to think this is all just us hitting our lowest point before something comes along and saves the day and we're happy again. Although it's probably natural to want to believe things will get better anyway just as a general coping mechanism.