Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Self-cancelled Shane Carruth is #cancelled

Started by Puce Moment, July 28, 2020, 05:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Very surprised to find out that his muse Amy Seimetz has an open restraining order against the Director.

I wonder if he jumped ship before being pushed?

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/amy-seimetz-abuse-allegations-shane-carruth-1234576617/?fbclid=IwAR3qmwc3VIIHQCmDMgcPalhvmoNiFdodMgYqIGy3os5qmJesXqFmWYWiXDw

Phil_A

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Well, I guess that explains all Carruth's cryptic comments about getting out of the industry, he must've known when all this came out he'd be done.

Yet another layer on the shit sandwich that is 2020.

peanutbutter

" The photo's timing has led many people in the film community to wonder if Carruth is trying to take attention away from the release of Seimetz's acclaimed new film "She Dies Tomorrow," which opens in drive-in theaters July 31 before a VOD debut August 7."
Ehhh... I never heard of it before this and quite liked her first film. Not sure how it takes attention away from her film? Def will attribute attention her film receives to him obviously, and I can easily imagine their whole relationship being him making weird power plays like that when looked at in that context.

Totally explains Carruth's recent behaviour alright.

bgmnts

I googled who he is and I still have no idea who he is.

Glad he's cancelled though.

Noodle Lizard

EDIT: Anecdotal boring shite

jobotic

Quote from: bgmnts on July 28, 2020, 10:16:22 PM
I googled who he is and I still have no idea who he is.

Same here! Often the case on here, although usually on comedy threads.

I'm old, whats your excuse grandad?

Puce Moment

He's not that well known but I would consider Primer and Upstream Color to be CaB faves.

Bence Fekete

Struggling to understand this one. So it's pretty horrendous behaviour even if he thinks himself innocent which he obviously isn't because he's done this. But then, why? Why throw your dirty linen out in such an awful and career-nuking way? Conscience? Irony? Control? Wha?

Phil_A

More details have emerged. Whatever the truth of the allegations, Carruth is doing himself absolutely no favours with shit like this.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/shane-carruth-accused-abusing-amy-seimetz-1234717339/

QuoteSeimetz filed for the order on June 12, saying that Carruth's messages had become increasingly disturbing and that she was terrified of him. In a May 15 message, which is attached to her request, Carruth allegedly said "You are Shiva, the goddess of death. I see you. I will know when it's time for you to be done... You should be scared. You don't know what I'm going to do... You should be scared."

QuoteUpdate, 12 p.m. Tuesday: The hearing on the restraining order was held via telephone on Tuesday morning. Carruth dialed in and interrupted the judge at least a dozen times, even after being repeatedly admonished to be quiet. Unable to mute his line, the judge continued the hearing to Aug. 21 so that it could be held either in person or via video.

Joshua Rosenberg, Seimetz's attorney, informed the judge that Carruth had violated the order to have no contact with Seimetz 20 times since the last hearing on July 6. The judge, Commissioner Laura Cohen, advised that she could take any alleged violations to the police. The temporary restraining order remains in place until the next hearing.

I guess him being an unstable control freak might explain why all his career momentum seemed to evaporate after UC, big projects he's been attached to mysteriously fizzling out, etc.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Bence Fekete on July 28, 2020, 11:20:34 PM
Struggling to understand this one. So it's pretty horrendous behaviour even if he thinks himself innocent which he obviously isn't because he's done this. But then, why? Why throw your dirty linen out in such an awful and career-nuking way? Conscience? Irony? Control? Wha?
Aware his careers fucked if/when that comes out, possibly wanting it to be over with after 15 years of torment with very little progress anyway.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Perhaps he thought being an unrepentant abusive shit is the way to become a Hollywood insider.

Puce Moment

The details of this are really unpleasant. What a massive cunt.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 29, 2020, 12:09:23 PM
The details of this are really unpleasant. What a massive cunt.

It really does seem so, and from his behaviour over the past couple of months alone he seems like a psychotic cunt at that, I'm fond of Primer and really liked Upstream Color, but I've no interest in ever watching them again now.

greenman

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 28, 2020, 11:05:12 PM
He's not that well known but I would consider Primer and Upstream Color to be CaB faves.

Only saw the latter and conspite being the kind of thing I'd normally be interested in thought it was utter bollocks, arrogant obtuseness.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 29, 2020, 02:36:50 PM
It really does seem so, and from his behaviour over the past couple of months alone he seems like a psychotic cunt at that, I'm fond of Primer and really liked Upstream Color, but I've no interest in ever watching them again now.

Same, especially seeing as upstream colour is him and her

In one or his recent I'm Outta Here interviews, the comment section was full of people saying good riddance, people saying they'd worked with him and he'd been a horrible cunt, didn't know what to make of it at the time

Primer, while ambitious, has jud apatow levels of disregard for its female characters, they're just bitchy window dressing

Who ever said their will be plenty of good stuff left if we shunt of the abusers and thugs was right tho. Gone from being sad about never seing his film about container ships to not giving a shit

Puce Moment

I adore Upstream Color - one of my favourite films. I can't imagine ever watching it again.

PlanktonSideburns

checked out his twitter, - hes being a weird cunt about this, posting sarcastic stuff about the abuse, mysterious creepy things, - hes doing marketing for his imminent abuse fueled divorce case like it was one of his films

sardines

So this is where me and cancel culture depart ways.
Who the fuck are we to care about a messy ending to a dysfunctional relationship? It is not pretty but that I can see he is not a serial abuser of women, kiddy fiddler, racist, cock waving misogynist or anything else that demands a public execution.
On the face of it this seems like a private and brutally painful experience that should stay between two people.
I suppose I'm cancelled now.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: sardines on July 29, 2020, 07:36:42 PM
Who the fuck are we to care about a messy ending to a dysfunctional relationship? It is not pretty but that I can see he is not a serial abuser of women, kiddy fiddler, racist, cock waving misogynist or anything else that demands a public execution.
On the face of it this seems like a private and brutally painful experience that should stay between two people.

I'm with you, except for the fact that he's the one who made it "subtly" public in a fairly cunty way. It's not surprising people have soured on him as a result of that (and a few other things). That said, he's probably a bit "unwell" for whatever reason, and it's easy to forget that lots of people do equally stupid/strange things among friends or on their own Facebook pages - it just wouldn't warrant anywhere near the same level of attention.

Olarrio

Aside from any of the harassment and mental abuse, according to that article he literally strangled her. That is high level domestic violence, somewhat more than just "a messy ending to a dysfunctional relationship".

Famous Mortimer

He made it public. And, for fuck's sake, grow up and don't use "cancel culture" like your average Daily Mail reader. Just mentally replace it with "expecting people to be responsible for their own words and actions".

PlanktonSideburns

Yea if it was just a divorce, but I recon throttling people is no good

PlanktonSideburns

Are you famous tho? Can't be cancelled unless you have some sort of fame, you're beneath cancellation if you're not famous. If your not famous, you're just an opinion haver on a forum like

sardines

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 29, 2020, 09:28:28 PM
He made it public. And, for fuck's sake, grow up and don't use "cancel culture" like your average Daily Mail reader. Just mentally replace it with "expecting people to be responsible for their own words and actions".

The thread is called Self-cancelled Shane Carruth is #cancelled for fuck sakes

PlanktonSideburns

These days they strangle your wife and they throw you in jail

bgmnts

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 29, 2020, 09:31:32 PM
Yea if it was just a divorce, but I recon throttling people is no good

What if your wife was a member of the Taliban?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on July 30, 2020, 07:03:55 AM
What if your wife was a member of the Taliban?

I would disagree but support her decision. Like I do with real wife and her enjoyment of the TV show Friends

Puce Moment

Quote from: sardines on July 29, 2020, 09:33:43 PMThe thread is called Self-cancelled Shane Carruth is #cancelled for fuck sakes

I wasn't being 100% serious. Welcome to CaB.

purlieu

Yeah, he's obviously very unwell. Inexcusable behaviour, and his reaction to it is baffling and unsettling. I hope he's able to realise this and get some help before he does anything else fucking stupid, and moreso that Seimetz is able to move on from this whole thing and recover.

Another big fan of Upstream Color here and probably not going to be able to watch it again. Ugh.

PlanktonSideburns

anyone seen amy seimetz's new film?

been trying to watch it all week but partners not been in the mood yet