Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Television & Speakers Help!

Started by Puce Moment, July 28, 2020, 05:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 05, 2020, 03:36:54 PM
Given your main issue with the HiSense was the interface, probably better not to go for OLED and put the money towards speakers. Built-in speakers are never great and some are awful, and if you have external speakers it's something you don't need to worry about when choosing the TV.

Yeah, and to be honest I'm actually not that bothered about sound too much given that most modern TVs sound shitloads better than my crappy old Samsung. I'll end up getting speakers no matter what TV I get.

QuoteInterface issues aren't really something that spending more money will directly improve. The bigger brands will probably be more consistent though.

This is where the Samsung was fine for me. I did notice that the LG OLED I am looking at also does not have full functionality on its remote to include fast-forwarding and rewinding, something that comes up in the reviews. It also constantly has a Wii style pointer on screen which people seem to loathe, even people who love the TV. I can't imagine spending over a grand on something and then having to deal with shit decisions.

I might end up going for Samsung against my better judgement simply because the Hisense was so incredibly fucking terrible.

Sebastian Cobb

Sorry the hisense was shit. I'd heard good things from people I trusted.

I can confirm those LG remotes with pointers are fucking shit though, we had one of them on the meeting room tv at my last job.

Old Thrashbarg

The last two TVs I've bought have been Samsung, the latest being the RU7470 50" for around £450. I know that there are better options for picture and sound, even without paying a huge amount more. But the image quality is absolutely fine, more than good enough for my needs, and the audio is perfectly adequate as well.

The main reason for choosing it over something that might've provided a slightly better image or sound was that the interface is by far the best I've used. Both the operating system and the various apps. iPlayer, 4od, Netflix, Prime, UKTV Play, YouTube and Plex all work seamlessly, better than those I've tried on external boxes. And the Samsung remote controls are comfortably my favourite to use as well.

seepage

Overall very happy with my Samsung QE55Q80R (2020 equivalent is Q80T I think). Sansungs don't have the catch-up facility in the guide (YouView?) though, you have to know which app to look for a program in. The sound is quite punchy, probably 'cos the panel is a bit thicker than is usual now, so can house better speakers. Only gripe with the interface is that I find it's too easy to move the position of the current app in the menu instead of selecting a different app. Also, the pause/play/fast forward buttons on the remote are tiny, which is strange as I thought most people would use those a lot. You have to plug in a USB stick or hard drive to pause live TV - do other tellys have storage for that as standard? 

Chedney Honks

You don't have to use the pointer on the LG remote, and it works perfectly well if you choose to.

That's an absolutely ludicrous reason not to get the best television screen ever made.

Honestly. Once you're looking at that mother fucker all of this other shit will dissolve into nothing.

I just signed up for fucking DISNEY PLUS just to watch TOTAL SHIT on the this screen because it looks that good.

olliebean

Why is it most big tellies seem to have legs at either end of the screen, so you need a massive table to put them on? I want one with the stand in the middle, so I can put it on a table that's smaller than the screen.

Chedney Honks

Great, another reason to get an LG OLED.

seepage

Quote from: olliebean on August 05, 2020, 07:41:25 PM
Why is it most big tellies seem to have legs at either end of the screen, so you need a massive table to put them on? I want one with the stand in the middle, so I can put it on a table that's smaller than the screen.

The Samsung QE55Q80R & Q80T mentioned above have the stand in the middle.

olliebean

Quote from: seepage on August 06, 2020, 06:20:16 AM
The Samsung QE55Q80R & Q80T mentioned above have the stand in the middle.

Yes, there are a number of exceptions, but it's still annoying how such an ostensibly arbitrary design feature has practical implications that limit the choice of suitable models so much.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 05, 2020, 04:07:46 PM
Sorry the hisense was shit. I'd heard good things from people I trusted.

I can confirm those LG remotes with pointers are fucking shit though, we had one of them on the meeting room tv at my last job.

No worries and these threads only work if we give recommendations based on personal experience or the experiences of friends.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 05, 2020, 06:26:32 PM
You don't have to use the pointer on the LG remote, and it works perfectly well if you choose to.

That's an absolutely ludicrous reason not to get the best television screen ever made.

Honestly. Once you're looking at that mother fucker all of this other shit will dissolve into nothing.

I just signed up for fucking DISNEY PLUS just to watch TOTAL SHIT on the this screen because it looks that good.

I can't really afford it, soz.

Chedney Honks

Sorry for being insensitive or pushy. My prompting really came from 'if you're willing to spend £700, I'd save up the bit extra based on my personal experience of not doing that in the first place'. I totally appreciate that there are budgets to set and stick to.

Waking Life

If you are getting a PS4 too, it has the media player apps as standard. As somebody mentioned the smart TVs quickly drop support for their apps, so they're no good for that anyway.

To be fair, I think you moved past that consideration. Best of luck.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Waking Life on August 10, 2020, 01:08:34 PM
If you are getting a PS4 too, it has the media player apps as standard. As somebody mentioned the smart TVs quickly drop support for their apps, so they're no good for that anyway.

To be fair, I think you moved past that consideration. Best of luck.

That's a good point. The instant on, lack of fan and proper remote make a roku* or other stick a better media device, but the PS4 will do so you could wait before buying the roku.

(* other media players etc etc)