Author Topic: Yes, God, Yes  (Read 512 times)

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
Yes, God, Yes
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »

New coming-of-age comedy by Karen Maine, whose previous film (Obvious Child) I found quite decent. This one is much funnier and hit a tone I really liked. Reminded me of 90s stoner film, Outside Providence, although it's quite different and definitely not a stoner film. It might have just been the 90s high school setting. Anyway, it's about the big sister from Stranger Things discovering masturbation while being told at her ultra-religious school (by Priest and Teacher, Jonah from Veep) that any kind of sexual gratification outside of marriage is the devil.

At 77 minutes it doesn't have a chance to wear out it's welcome and some of the lines really tickled me. Also has some very funny soundtrack choices implemented at perfect times. Not an amazing film by any stretch but as a short comedy I found it very enjoyable while maybe a bit sappy and obvious at the end. Worth a look if you're up for a funny but fairly insubstantial diversion while stuck at home.

I feel like I sound like I'm damning it with faint praise. I did really like it.

Re: Yes, God, Yes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »
I guess it is the next logical step for the Minister franchise.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:37:33 PM »
I'd been umming and ahhhing over whether to watch this, but your review has won me over so I'll give it a shot over the next couple of days and report back.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »
Juse seen Donna-Lynn Camplin from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend  (Paula) is in it; so I guess that drags me into watching it.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »
Is this just on pay-to-watch video on demand (in the UK)?

Regardless, I'll watch any movie that's even peripherally related to nuns. Or masturbation.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 01:09:25 AM »
Just saw this. It's got the anorexic girl from "Stranger Things" in it; she's quite good. Probably never watch it again. My main reaction to it was wandering why parents send their kids to places like that.

Tags: