Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,489
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yes, God, Yes

Started by Moribunderast, July 29, 2020, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

New coming-of-age comedy by Karen Maine, whose previous film (Obvious Child) I found quite decent. This one is much funnier and hit a tone I really liked. Reminded me of 90s stoner film, Outside Providence, although it's quite different and definitely not a stoner film. It might have just been the 90s high school setting. Anyway, it's about the big sister from Stranger Things discovering masturbation while being told at her ultra-religious school (by Priest and Teacher, Jonah from Veep) that any kind of sexual gratification outside of marriage is the devil.

At 77 minutes it doesn't have a chance to wear out it's welcome and some of the lines really tickled me. Also has some very funny soundtrack choices implemented at perfect times. Not an amazing film by any stretch but as a short comedy I found it very enjoyable while maybe a bit sappy and obvious at the end. Worth a look if you're up for a funny but fairly insubstantial diversion while stuck at home.

I feel like I sound like I'm damning it with faint praise. I did really like it.

SavageHedgehog

I guess it is the next logical step for the Minister franchise.

Small Man Big Horse

I'd been umming and ahhhing over whether to watch this, but your review has won me over so I'll give it a shot over the next couple of days and report back.

EOLAN

Juse seen Donna-Lynn Camplin from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend  (Paula) is in it; so I guess that drags me into watching it.

dissolute ocelot

Is this just on pay-to-watch video on demand (in the UK)?

Regardless, I'll watch any movie that's even peripherally related to nuns. Or masturbation.

Dropshadow

Just saw this. It's got the anorexic girl from "Stranger Things" in it; she's quite good. Probably never watch it again. My main reaction to it was wandering why parents send their kids to places like that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 29, 2020, 02:37:33 PM
I'd been umming and ahhhing over whether to watch this, but your review has won me over so I'll give it a shot over the next couple of days and report back.

I forgot about this but I was in the mood for something light and fun tonight and, well, it is at times, and seeing Stranger Things' Natalia Dyer explore her sexuality and try and find out what Tossing Someone's Salad means amused well enough. But it's also a little bit too repetitive on the "Christians are cunts" front, not that I doubt that in the slightest but they went to that well a bit too often, and I thought the ending
Spoiler alert
was a bit weak, her rousing speech wasn't all that
[close]
, and due to it's flimsy overall nature I can't really rate it more than 5.6/10.

zomgmouse

The short film that this was based on (also by Maine) was quite good as well, maybe even better. Very simple but sweet.

The feature was also simple but sweet, but I felt it was a little too slight perhaps. But I still definitely enjoyed it.

Quote from: Moribunderast on July 29, 2020, 12:35:59 PM

New coming-of-age comedy by Karen Maine, whose previous film (Obvious Child) I found quite decent.

I looked this up because it was on my list but Maine only co-wrote the story for Obvious Child as well as co-writing the original short film. Speaking of which does anyone know where I could access that? It seems to only be on a private vimeo. link.

dissolute ocelot

I watched Yes, God, Yes last night. It's quite enjoyable and amusing, although also fairly slight. It's also a bit weird in a "should I be laughing at this or is this child abuse?" way. Maybe not helped by the age of the characters being unclear. It mostly feels like minor teen stuff, without much wider emotional resonance (unlike how e.g. Ladybird manages to really get you emotionally involved in its minor teen stuff). Maybe it's a tonal issue: it's not clear how much is trivia worthy of jokes and how much is serious. The 90s setting seems there to be there for distancing and a few cheap references to Nokia's Snake, but isn't used well.

For all the talk of how it's brave to have a film about masturbation, in its exploration of sexuality it doesn't go beyond the bit in My So-Called Life where Sharon is coping with Brad Pitt-related feelings by having meaningless sex and watching A River Runs Through It a lot. We were contrasting it with But I'm A Cheerleader which deals with similar issues of Christian hypocrisy in a much more inventive and colourful and fun way, and deals more skilfully with its tonal issues (is it right to make fun of this?) by being over the top. There are some very good bits, like the scene in the bar with Susan Blackwell being the voice of reason, I just wish everything else was done that well.

I'd like to have it shown in school to teenagers though.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 18, 2020, 09:24:45 PM
Spoiler alert
her rousing speech
[close]

Spoiled desolation. I usually read spoilers because I forget since I don't have context familiarity. Really want to watch a film where that's needing hidden. Expecting a
Spoiler alert
Silent Bob
[close]
type thing.