Author Topic: Whatever (really) happened to the likely lads?  (Read 438 times)

Whatever (really) happened to the likely lads?
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »
Really interesting article on British Comedy Guide, debunking the mythology around the deterioration of the Bewes & Bolam relationship.
https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/strained-relationships-bewes-and-bolam/

I’d always sided with Bewes in the past and felt aggrieved that Bolam gave him the cold shoulder. After reading this, I still feel sorry for Bewes and can’t imagine Bolam is much fun - but not for the same reasons as before.

Anyone else find this as interesting as I did?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Well ...enjoy your lifetime supply of virginity!
Re: Whatever (really) happened to the likely lads?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »
Pretty sure ajsmith2 did. Quite a few of us 'erberts too, after he put it up in another thread. Thanks for putting the naffing thing up though, you nurk ( clever referencing to your name, cheers).

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
Yep, there's a thread here.  Thanks for posting it though, interesting read.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »
Aargh, sorry 😐

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »
No, that was Ronnie Corbett!!!!!!!! :-D

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »
Aargh, sorry 😐

Yours had a better title and opening text tbf. And it is a really good article, worth posting twice.

ollyboro

• More pussy than Sinatra
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:34:36 PM »
Re: The (debunked) allegation that Bolam blocked repeats of the show.         

When LWT were contractually obliged to renegotiate repeat fees to leading actors in The Professionals, Martin Shaw's demands effectively blocked repeats of the show on terrestrial tv. So it appears that  under certain circumstances it's possible for an actor to do this. I wonder if the storyteller in Bewes simply stole Lewis Collins' situation for himself.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:28 PM »
Yours had a better title and opening text tbf. And it is a really good article, worth posting twice.
And James Bolam didn't try to block his repeating it.

Brundle-Fly

• *Jooolie Andreeeews!! Thhhrrrrp!!!!*
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »
Re: The (debunked) allegation that Bolam blocked repeats of the show.         

When LWT were contractually obliged to renegotiate repeat fees to leading actors in The Professionals, Martin Shaw's demands effectively blocked repeats of the show on terrestrial tv. So it appears that  under certain circumstances it's possible for an actor to do this. I wonder if the storyteller in Bewes simply stole Lewis Collins' situation for himself.

Thanks, you've answered my question in ajsmithy's thread about the Bewes/Bolam axis of sadness.

Tags: