Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Whatever (really) happened to the likely lads?

Started by godber, July 29, 2020, 12:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

godber

Really interesting article on British Comedy Guide, debunking the mythology around the deterioration of the Bewes & Bolam relationship.
https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/strained-relationships-bewes-and-bolam/

I'd always sided with Bewes in the past and felt aggrieved that Bolam gave him the cold shoulder. After reading this, I still feel sorry for Bewes and can't imagine Bolam is much fun - but not for the same reasons as before.

Anyone else find this as interesting as I did?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Pretty sure ajsmith2 did. Quite a few of us 'erberts too, after he put it up in another thread. Thanks for putting the naffing thing up though, you nurk ( clever referencing to your name, cheers).

shiftwork2

Yep, there's a thread here.  Thanks for posting it though, interesting read.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

ajsmith2

Quote from: godber on July 29, 2020, 01:02:23 PM
Aargh, sorry 😐

Yours had a better title and opening text tbf. And it is a really good article, worth posting twice.

ollyboro

Re: The (debunked) allegation that Bolam blocked repeats of the show.         

When LWT were contractually obliged to renegotiate repeat fees to leading actors in The Professionals, Martin Shaw's demands effectively blocked repeats of the show on terrestrial tv. So it appears that  under certain circumstances it's possible for an actor to do this. I wonder if the storyteller in Bewes simply stole Lewis Collins' situation for himself.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 29, 2020, 01:13:50 PM
Yours had a better title and opening text tbf. And it is a really good article, worth posting twice.
And James Bolam didn't try to block his repeating it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ollyboro on July 29, 2020, 01:34:36 PM
Re: The (debunked) allegation that Bolam blocked repeats of the show.         

When LWT were contractually obliged to renegotiate repeat fees to leading actors in The Professionals, Martin Shaw's demands effectively blocked repeats of the show on terrestrial tv. So it appears that  under certain circumstances it's possible for an actor to do this. I wonder if the storyteller in Bewes simply stole Lewis Collins' situation for himself.

Thanks, you've answered my question in ajsmithy's thread about the Bewes/Bolam axis of sadness.