Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:37:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

On Confidence

Started by pancreas, July 30, 2020, 01:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Oh yeah. I was drunk last night, wasn't I.

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 30, 2020, 11:13:05 AM
I used to lack confidence but then I spent three years working in a fish and chip shop in Surrey and gained confidence.

"I was absolutely brilliant at fish and chips. The female side of my brain, long dormant, had retriggered. Some say I was even better than fish and chips lifer Pat Bevin. Pat could barely conceal her rage"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on July 30, 2020, 11:48:55 AM
Oh yeah. I was drunk last night, wasn't I.

Confidence goggles. You are louche when drunk, confident when sober.

ASFTSN

Get Confidence, Stupid

shiftwork2

PlanktonSideburns

Saw a homeless getting dragged off by the filth outside MnS the other day, he was shouting

IT WAS A GIFT FROM AN ITALIAN BLOKE

For some reason. Crazy

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 30, 2020, 11:13:05 AM
I used to lack confidence but then I spent three years working in a fish and chip shop in Surrey and gained confidence. So for anyone who lacks confidence, I recommending spending three years working in a fish and chip shop in Surrey.

I laughed (not in a mean way, in the way I believe you intended it to be taken)

Genuine question, does the frying smell cling? I have read people complaining about having to virtually fumigate their apartment every week while working in a chippy due to bringing the frying smell home with them.

boki

I was once told that confidence is a preference for an habitual voyeur.

ASFTSN

What's the difference between confidence and being a swaggering, know-it-all prick that deserves to be shredded into red houmous in front of their pleading family?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 30, 2020, 11:50:48 AM
"I was absolutely brilliant at fish and chips. The female side of my brain, long dormant, had retriggered. Some say I was even better than fish and chips lifer Pat Bevin. Pat could barely conceal her rage"

Christ, I wish. I mean, I was good, but better than Pat Bevin? Nah, never, despite practicing on my days off I didn't even come close.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 30, 2020, 03:03:21 PM
I laughed (not in a mean way, in the way I believe you intended it to be taken)

Genuine question, does the frying smell cling? I have read people complaining about having to virtually fumigate their apartment every week while working in a chippy due to bringing the frying smell home with them.

It was meant to be funny, so thank you! And as for the smell, it was something I was never aware of and no one ever said anything if I was freshly showered / bathed, but there were a good few times when I went to the pub after work and the moment I walked in every one turned and stared, presumably expecting to see a gigantic walking battered fish.

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 30, 2020, 04:12:23 PM
What's the difference between confidence and being a swaggering, know-it-all prick that deserves to be shredded into red houmous in front of their pleading family?

I was about to raise this point but you put it better.... in schools at the moment there is a big push for 'confidence-building', and confidence is held to be a valuable commodity.   However, some students interpret 'confidence' as 'the ability to open your mouth at any moment and spew out an ill-informed opinion, and then await your applause'.  OK, it probably wouldn't be great to have a roomful of students who fear to make a contribution, and I wouldn't ever advocate ridicule (despite provocation) but it does seem to have gone a bit far.

PlanktonSideburns

Why can't I just be a sinister goblin man with pallid complexion and bitterness

chveik

pancreas has a point though, being terminally neurotic is quite exhausting

Buelligan

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 30, 2020, 04:12:23 PM

I think you know.

Quote from: pancreas on July 30, 2020, 01:03:10 AM
Confidence

Quote from: pancreas on July 30, 2020, 01:03:10 AM
Then I think of FerrisWheelBueller, muting his family chat because he can't deal with their politics. And that's not confidence. Why does he not just go in and smash up the furniture? After all, what is really to lose? I have no problem with one using one's family cynically for financial stability. But are you really okay with 'love' conquering abhorrent antisocial opinions?

Ferris

The reason I don't go and smash all their furniture is because I live approx 5,000 miles away, and they are in 3 different European countries and I'm sorry but I'm just not willing to go to Amsterdam (for one) during a pandemic solely to destroy the apartment of a direct family member.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 31, 2020, 12:57:08 AM
The reason I don't go and smash all their furniture is because I live approx 5,000 miles away, and they are in 3 different European countries and I'm sorry but I'm just not willing to go to Amsterdam (for one) during a pandemic solely to destroy the apartment of a direct family member.

My brother-in-law lives in Landsmeer and says he'll smash up their furniture for 10€ and their whole apartment for 20€.

Buelligan

I'll do the Amsterdam one if you want.  I could get the train on my day off.  It would make a nice change.  What do you want me to say or should I just shout This is for Ferris repeatedly

Happy to work with the Landsmeer chappy if it's a big job.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Buelligan on July 31, 2020, 01:14:23 AM
I'll do the Amsterdam one if you want.  I could get the train on my day off.  It would make a nice change.  What do you want me to say or should I just shout This is for Ferris repeatedly

One of the 3 countries is France[nb]Probably.[/nb], so you should lob rocks from your cave at them and leave the Dutch to the Landsmeer lad, whose rates I would say are surprisingly reasonable given the potential custodial sentence as well as the repercussions you have to expect when dealing with Ferris; he has all loads of guns.

ProvanFan

I was going to do Parklife

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 31, 2020, 01:12:03 AM
My brother-in-law lives in Landsmeer and says he'll smash up their furniture for 10€ and their whole apartment for 20€.

Quote from: Buelligan on July 31, 2020, 01:14:23 AM

Ok now we have the makings of a plan. Go with your line for now, unless their partner is home in which case just "I'm sorry I'm doing this!" over and over will suffice.

BlodwynPig

Happy to napalm Walsall

Buelligan

ASFTSN

Quote from: Buelligan on July 31, 2020, 12:35:06 AM
I think you know.

Is it something to do with wearing those weird puffer-jacket gilets? It's got to be that or hair gel.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 31, 2020, 09:18:43 AM
Is it something to do with wearing those weird puffer-jacket gilets? It's got to be that or hair gel.

Be at peace, the light is shining ever so bright for us. Ascend.