Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:28:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nobody's Mentioned Denise Johnson's Passing Yet

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, July 30, 2020, 02:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The soulful singer whose back-up up vocals made sure there was a decent bit of vocalising  on many a Primal Scream record, but most of whose work was done with funky Mancunian miserabalists A Certain Ratio.
Died suddenly a couple of days ago, some sources say at the age of 53, others say 56, one news report saying she had her inhaler in her hand at the time.

Surprised There's been no mention of it on 'ere, yet. It is sad news. RIP.

spaghetamine

sad news indeed, she had a fantastic voice and seemed like a lovely person, RIP

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Scottish Jazz Singing Lady Annie Ross ( she was also in that scary scene in " Superman III ") too, but I thought she'd died years ago.

ETA: Blimey, she used to have a birrova heroin habit, and shagged Lenny Bruce, too. Well, well.

( Annie Ross, not Denise Johnson, for avoidance of doubt.)

Brundle-Fly

They were paying tribute to her yesterday on 6Music. Quite an ear opener. She's one of those back room figures in the music of our generation that have contributed greatly but to little applause.

steveh

Denise Johnson's one of a number of black British female artists of around that age who you feel ought to have been much bigger with their own solo work. Sad too for her death to happen just before her new album is released.

Some nice stories from her here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPiGJPkh0A

Brundle-Fly

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 30, 2020, 10:35:37 PM
Terry Christian has really curdled with age.

I didn't like him much when he was young either.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on July 31, 2020, 07:41:49 AM
I didn't like him much when he was young either.

He was never very likeable, not like Hufty.

holyzombiejesus

I thought he (TC) was quite entertaining on Question Time before it became apparent that he was another anti-Corbyn #fbpe arsewipe.

Bobby Gillespie is really full of shit, isn't he?

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 31, 2020, 12:00:19 PM
He was never very likeable, not like Hufty.

Actually, when The Word was first around I did a phone interview with him that had to be cut short for some reason (it wasn't a Hugh Cornwell hanging up incident) so we arranged for him to ring me back later that day. Unfortunately I almost immediately totally forgot what time we'd rearranged it for so when (and if) he did call back I wasn't at my desk. I've always felt slightly guilty about that. That could be the incident that propelled him to full-blown wankerism

I did go to a cafe with Dani Behr once though. She was pleasant enough, even though she gave me a blank look when I mentioned Pulp, who were scheduled to perform on one of the first shows of that series.