Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

He earned it thru hard work!!!

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 30, 2020, 03:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Stop Dancer

Is there anyone here who really covets the trappings of the rich? Flash cars and all that? I think especially when you get past a certain age and can see roughly how your life should pan out based on the current trajectory, most people I know in that position are just happy with the simple life. It's nice to have a few quid of course and being poor is utter bollocks, but a bit of security is the one thing I value more than having stuff.

Bazooka

Other than being a trillionare I can't think of anything better than being a billionaire, or whatever is above trillionaire, squillionaire isn't it?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on July 31, 2020, 03:14:57 PM
Is there anyone here who really covets the trappings of the rich? Flash cars and all that? I think especially when you get past a certain age and can see roughly how your life should pan out based on the current trajectory, most people I know in that position are just happy with the simple life. It's nice to have a few quid of course and being poor is utter bollocks, but a bit of security is the one thing I value more than having stuff.

Yes, I want enough money to not ever have to do anything I don't want to do ever again.

And if I have enough money to also do whatever I want, that's good too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Agree with the above.

Freedom, essentially. Rather than simply stuff and large shiny things.

Pingers

Most rich people, and I've met quite a number, lack imagination in my experience, particularly those who didn't inherit their wealth. Not surprising really: What are doing? Working lots and making money. What about after that? Working lots more and making more money.

So it's often the case that having got the money they just waste it on tacky shit rather than use it to buy freedom. They don't want freedom because they've no idea what to do with it. Whereas your old money, yer old money - they're all just mad innit?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 31, 2020, 05:04:33 AM
a friend of mine put it like this:

let's say you earn $100,000 a year (which is already a lot), every year of your life, and let's say you live for 100 years (which is also a lot). that gives you $10million. (and that's over one lifetime)

to me that's a pretty good baseline level of "the most amount of money someone should have".

People always want more. You get used to a certain lifestyle and anything less becomes unthinkable. Very few people who have gone from poor to rich and then given it all away because they don't need it. I can't imagine needing millions but these people are paying 30k a night for hotel rooms or 100 million for a fancy house in London, it's easy to spend those amounts when you're living at that level. Most people in the world would find the amounts the average UK citizen spend eye wateringly obscene. The average yearly salary in India is about the same as the price of a new iPhone.

thenoise

I kind of despair at people who proclaim they 'wouldn't know what to do' with enormous amounts of money.

Once you get beyond the mindset that you have to spend it on yourself, it opens up a world of opportunities. You have the chance to make your street / your town / your country / the world genuinely better - and nobody is going to take your money away if they dont approve of your decisions. Health service gone to shit? Nothing a few bil wouldn't solve. Local high street full of chain shit? Buy it up and fill it with proper shops,who gives a shit if they dont turn a profit, just keep them chugging along for as long as you shop there.

Pingers

Quote from: thenoise on July 31, 2020, 05:51:34 PM
I kind of despair at people who proclaim they 'wouldn't know what to do' with enormous amounts of money.

Once you get beyond the mindset that you have to spend it on yourself, it opens up a world of opportunities. You have the chance to make your street / your town / your country / the world genuinely better - and nobody is going to take your money away if they dont approve of your decisions. Health service gone to shit? Nothing a few bil wouldn't solve. Local high street full of chain shit? Buy it up and fill it with proper shops,who gives a shit if they dont turn a profit, just keep them chugging along for as long as you shop there.

Except the people who have those sorts of plans for using lots of money are not the people who get lots of money. Getting lots of money is generally an occupation of psychopaths.

Zetetic

Occasionally, I vaguely wonder at trying to work out what lottery would give me the best odds of a selfishly personal life-altering amount of money (which basically runs from about £10k to £600k).

Then I stop doing this, because it's quite stupid.

Ferris

Quote from: thenoise on July 31, 2020, 05:51:34 PM

Yeah I%u2019ve never understood that either. Go and get that degree you%u2019ve always wanted; open a community arts centre with a brewery in the back, spend money souping up the wetlands round the back of the centre, set up a charitable foundation for daft kids in your neighbourhood and sit on the board of it 3 days a month to keep your eye in, build a pizza oven, buy stuff for local schools and hospitals, free museum passes for local kiddies, the lot mate.

I%u2019d love a load of money, never work another day in me life and spend my time trying to make the world a nicer place to be in. The paucity of imagination of not knowing what to spend it on baffles me.

popcorn

Ferris what the fuck is going on with your apostrophes they are a disgrace.

Bence Fekete

I attempted to type out 13 billion $'s the other day to get a sense of what it must feel like to be brilliant man Geoff Benzos but the longer it went on (and besides nearly dying of repetitive dollar boredom) the smaller and slimmer I approximated Bezos' actual, IRL biological physical form. Tinier and tinier did his anatomy became so that the thought occurred: couldn't we just, you know, push him over and take his money?

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on July 31, 2020, 06:17:58 PM

Edited the post to fix a typo... ruins the fucking formatting. It's a gamble, sometimes you get away with it.

Pingers

Quote from: popcorn on July 31, 2020, 06:17:58 PM

He sold them to Satan in return for a quite fabulous derriére

Icehaven

I was just having a conversation with my Mum partly inspired by this thread, and she trained to be a nurse in the early 1960s. Apparently they were told that the pay was so low because otherwise the profession would attract the "wrong kind of people who were only in it for the money." Leaving aside the obvious question about why the same logic seemingly didn't apply to doctor's pay, what an unbelievably patronising, ludicrous, bullshit excuse. I asked if she believed it at the time and she more or less said yes, but not for long. I mean you could attempt to apply that "logic" to any job, but if that really was the crap they were peddling to trainee nurses 60 years ago no wonder the profession has famously suffered from low pay for so long.

thenoise

Quote from: Pingers on July 31, 2020, 06:04:38 PM
Except the people who have those sorts of plans for using lots of money are not the people who get lots of money. Getting lots of money is generally an occupation of psychopaths.

None of my suggestions involved giving money away, but improving the town/country so it's the sort of place I want to live in. If other people benefit too that's just a bonus/collateral.

zomgmouse

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 31, 2020, 11:47:20 AM
I'm no massive earner myself but increasingly I am paying more and more tax and it gets a bit galling

I think the problem here is that very very rich people, as well as very very rich corporations, aren't being taxed enough. If they were taxed more, you wouldn't have to be as much.

They're leaving us to fight it out among ourselves and ignore the inequality between us all and their massive pools of wealth.

The company I work for had directors and managers working well into their seventies, in spite of not really needing the money (mortgages paid off for years, rental properties bringing in an income, generous pensions, etc.), because they'd become addicted to getting a new company car every three years.

Sure, you could spend time with your loved ones, doing your hobbies and enjoying what remains of your health, whilst freeing up opportunities for those below you on the corporate ladder, but on the other hand you could get a new, subsidised Lexus RX and a generous fuel allowance.

It's psychotic.

earl_sleek

Crazy that people who don't need more money and possessions usually can't stop working to acquire more, whereas people who would be content with having their needs met often can't even get that. We're a much less intelligent species than we like to think.