Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

JESUS FUCK theme tunes

Started by touchingcloth, July 30, 2020, 07:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I started rewatching the US Office, and I'd forgotten how JESUS FUCK the theme is. Not lairy or anything, it just has an instrument in it which really cuts through everything so I have to remember to mute the telly each time a new episode starts.

There are others, but I can't remember them.

What are your JESUS FUCK themes?

M-CORP

Death In Paradise is the first thing that comes to mind. Yes, it's a light-hearted show, so the theme tune is light-hearted. This might be fine, were it not for the fact that the theme tune invariably plays after a dead body has been discovered, in which case light reggae might not be the most appropriate choice.

Can't think of any others at this moment.

dissolute ocelot

Classic era Grange Hill really terrified me as a kid. Not just the theme but certainly partly the theme. It accurately says "in your face school drama".

non capisco

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 30, 2020, 10:43:58 PM
Classic era Grange Hill really terrified me as a kid. Not just the theme but certainly partly the theme. It accurately says "in your face school drama".

For me that is one of the all-time theme tune bangers. G'wan, Alan Hawkshaw! Chicken Man! Could listen to that on a loop for ages.

Having said that its pre-Grange Hill incarnation as the theme to 'Give Us A Clue' has comparatively zero swagger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvAf2JipxQ&frags=pl%2Cwn

JesusAndYourBush

The Would I Lie To You theme is really FUCKING LOUD especially if you've just just been watching something with quiet dialogue (some channels are quieter anyway, especially if it's something 'old') and forget to turn the sound back down.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Is there anyone, amongst CaBbers of a certain age in the entire world,who doesn't have an immediate that priest on the bus in the last episode of " Father Ted" when that Radiohead song starts playing reaction to the fucking " World In Action"  theme, or Don't agree that it's the grommets, most depressing theme tune in the history of theme tunes?

Yes, it's the grommets. I'm not correcting that.

I already moaned about the Men Behaving Badly theme tune over on the comedy side. It's an easy listening chat show theme tune, strung out way too long and inexplicably attached to a sitcom about loutish men. It's not a bad theme tune, it's just the wrong theme tune.

Got shouted down about it, but it's a hill I'll happily die on.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2020, 11:05:45 PMHaving said that its pre-Grange Hill incarnation as the theme to 'Give Us A Clue' has comparatively zero swagger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvAf2JipxQ&frags=pl%2Cwn

I would have been 7 or 8 when I became aware that the two shows had the same theme tune, and it confused me so much. Why? What? How?

The closing music for The West Wing is weird. The opening music is suitably regal, but the closing theme sounds like it should be soundtracking a sleigh ride in a shit Christmas film.

gilbertharding

The QI theme tune.

That's it. Lock the thread.

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 31, 2020, 10:55:37 AM
The QI theme tune.

That's it. Lock the thread.

Haha. My old flatmate got one of those QI books of facts for Christmas one year and every time he'd read it I'd start going "dooby-doop, dooby-doop" at him. I broke him to the point where he could no longer read it or watch the TV show any more.

EOLAN

Orange is the New Black theme has me leaping for the skip intro button everytime.

Utter Shit

Was mentioned in the thread on Comedy Chat, but any chance of PhoneShop becoming popular was killed stone dead by the most obnoxious theme music and stings ever. A fantastic modern comedy that nobody watched because they saw the trailer and thought it was aimed at 12 year olds trying to annoy their parents.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 31, 2020, 09:36:31 AM
I already moaned about the Men Behaving Badly theme tune over on the comedy side. It's an easy listening chat show theme tune, strung out way too long and inexplicably attached to a sitcom about loutish men. It's not a bad theme tune, it's just the wrong theme tune.

It's not the theme tune that I mind so much, it's when that mental guitar solo takes over from the sax, very fucking odd.

Jockice

This. Cos my mum would always start laughing and go: "Look at all those policemen fainting." Every single week without fail. For years and years and years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI3pd-dNN-0

gilbertharding

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 31, 2020, 11:02:20 AM
Haha. My old flatmate got one of those QI books of facts for Christmas one year and every time he'd read it I'd start going "dooby-doop, dooby-doop" at him. I broke him to the point where he could no longer read it or watch the TV show any more.

It's not even that. It's "Doopy-doop (BUM) Doopy-doop (BUM)" and then the counter melody starts... and if you're LUCKY it's a Sandi Toksvig one...

gilbertharding

I've been watching bits and pieces of Dempsey and Makepeace, as it's being repeated on ITV4 now. When I'm not trying to decide if I have a crush or not on Glynis Barber, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the theme music to be used, verbatim, as incidental music for any vaguely exciting/action sequence throughout the show. Like - not as a sting, or a variation, or altered to suit the rhythm of the visuals or anything - just a few warning notes to suggest it's coming, and then "Baa-da da Daaa (ba da daaaa!)" on it goes: Car chase, fight scene.

Someone with a name I vaguely recognise is credited with writing the music, and I can only assume they were too expensive to get back to do a proper job on it. Alan Parker. That's who.

While I'm here, I would also like to nominate the closing 'ROCK' theme to the post-Waterman episodes of Minder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_IfgrIrqjk The lead guitarist and drummer seem to be competing to see who can sound the drunkest.

notjosh

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 31, 2020, 11:22:17 AM
Was mentioned in the thread on Comedy Chat, but any chance of PhoneShop becoming popular was killed stone dead by the most obnoxious theme music and stings ever. A fantastic modern comedy that nobody watched because they saw the trailer and thought it was aimed at 12 year olds trying to annoy their parents.

I'm surprised Friday Night Dinner has survived this fate. Great show but godawful noise.

Quote from: notjosh on July 31, 2020, 12:04:14 PM
I'm surprised Friday Night Dinner has survived this fate. Great show but godawful noise.

I didn't watch it for years because I didn't know Robert Popper was behind it and the theme tune was so obnoxious. I love Miike Snow, but that remix of Animal is utterly shit.

I'm still not sure if Flagpole Sitta really fits Peep Show, but it was a marked improvement over the series 1 theme tune which made it appear to be a show about paedophiles made for paedophiles.

Regardless of its merits, I've never been able to enjoy watching 'The Big Bang Theory' because I'm always very, very angry by the time it starts. Fucking Barenaked Ladies. Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started WAIT. There's something irredeemably annoying about songs that try and cram too many words into a line. But don't you see? We're smugly wearing our smarts on our sleeves, just like the characters. Irritating you without due diligence, just like the characters. But quite sweet and endearing, just like PISS OFF.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 31, 2020, 12:36:45 PM

I'm still not sure if Flagpole Sitta really fits Peep Show, but it was a marked improvement over the series 1 theme tune which made it appear to be a show about paedophiles made for paedophiles.

The series 1 opening credits put me off watching the show for years.

petril

there's a whole slew from the 80s and 90s that insisted on throwing in That Fucking Sax. fuck UP and shut it OFF

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 31, 2020, 03:21:04 PM
there's a whole slew from the 80s and 90s that insisted on throwing in That Fucking Sax. fuck UP and shut it OFF

Quantum Leap had a horrible sax-led theme tune. It has a great middle eight, but the rest of it sounds like it's from a flatshare sitcom.

Quote from: Jockice on July 31, 2020, 11:31:22 AM
This. Cos my mum would always start laughing and go: "Look at all those policemen fainting." Every single week without fail. For years and years and years.

God, those opening credits for Quincy give me the creeps, specifically that bit where the seedy old bad-tempered git is ogling and kissing that much younger woman on the deck of a sailing boat. Eurgh!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 31, 2020, 09:36:31 AM

I'm actually with you on this... except I think it sounds more like the theme tune for a 70's crime drama about bent coppers and Cockneys.

It's just a bit nondescript isn't it?

Gulftastic

Quote from: Jockice on July 31, 2020, 11:31:22 AM

she could have sung it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dvWwUT-mfc

Blue Jam

Talking of nondescript theme tunes, the Will & Grace theme always annoyed me. It's just so generic:

https://youtu.be/a9MHpnctUoE

Gulftastic

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 31, 2020, 03:46:25 PM
Talking of nondescript theme tunes, the Will & Grace theme always annoyed me. It's just so generic:

https://youtu.be/a9MHpnctUoE

Added to the shitness is the face Grace makes at 9seconds in the later season versions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH53ItyQA_I

She needs a dry slap.

seepage

Quote from: notjosh on July 31, 2020, 12:04:14 PM

But it has Meddle by Little Boots?!

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 31, 2020, 11:22:17 AM

I've grown to appreciate it, it's of the time (like Martin Trenaman's hair) and dubstep was very Croydon-centric.

Cuellar

I'm really in two minds about the Community theme. Maybe it's a consequence of watching loads of episodes back to back, but I both absolutely despise it and want to throw the telly out the window AND think it's great and sing along to it: I have these reactions simultaneously. In that sense it perfectly embodies the show, I suppose.