Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV that freaked you out as a kid

Started by The Lurker, July 30, 2020, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Mainly just all the children getting killed by cars on Irish adverts; with some 60s or 70s tune I would have really enjoyed playing over it. Anytime I see an Irish based ad starting off with a car; I just am waiting for the horrific crash to occur.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 31, 2020, 03:52:40 PM
Heartbeat/Last of the Summer Wine theme coming on reminding you there's very little of the weekend left and you've still not done your homework.

That's Life for me. It took me a good 6 months of working for a living not to feel a sense of dread when the closing cartoon was played.

dr beat

We were made to watch Threads at school, and not long before the 1991 coup against Gorbachev in the USSR, which didn't help.

Gulftastic

About a year before Threads, the Beeb showed a documentary about the effects of dropping a one megaton nuke over St Paul's Cathedral. It was scary as Threads to me.

gib

Michael Bentine's Potty Time. Bizarre and unsettling.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dr beat on July 31, 2020, 04:26:37 PM
We were made to watch Threads at school, and not long before the 1991 coup against Gorbachev in the USSR, which didn't help.

I watched that when too hungover to move after a new year when no-one else was in the house.

Bad move.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 31, 2020, 03:01:56 PM
We came home and I wanted to watch the Pingu we'd taped while we were out. I loved Pingu. He made me laugh so much. I'd been sad to miss it and was very relieved when we wound the tape back and pressed play and the Pingu music started. Unfortunately it was this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSb-IScr1YI

Fucking hell

So that's what Jamie from Mythbusters is up to these days.

Icehaven

Early 90s kids series Alfonso Bonzo. Adult Italian "exchange student" who apparently hangs out with a child, then it turns out he's trying to exchange their souls because that's what someone did to him. Brrrrr.

Dead Soon

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 31, 2020, 12:43:55 PM
Bernards Watch -Not because it was scary or anything but as a young lad with the ability to freeze time/Fuck about with people (push them in front of cars n that), I could never get why the little cunt was so responsible. paying for shit in shops, not de-kegging blokes in front of schools etc. The lad had no imagination and that shit is freaky.

It seems the creators were aware of invoking this criticism and deftly (tried to) subvert it, because 'The Postman' that bestows the watch upon Bernard actually had a set of rules regarding the watch's ownership, and this precluded using it ''to commit crimes or hurt anyone''.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Surprised none of the boys and girls of CaB of a certain age have mentioned Shadows yet.

gilbertharding

There was a kids TV drama series called 'Changes' or something I was too young to understand, but electricity pylons always give me the slight creeps now.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Alberon on July 31, 2020, 12:55:26 PM
The Changes - 1975 BBC kids drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVqHVo0nq0

Scared the beejeezus out of me when I first watched it. Very unsettling stuff.

But then again I was only 28 6 then.

Read the thread Gilbert.

I'm over it now, but I had a funny feeling about Sikhs for a while too. Six I was. Six. No one to talk to about this weird TV show I accidentally saw a few times.

Apparently the Sikhs were goodies, but I found the whole premise of this girl on the run after her parents had vanished so disturbing I couldn't process anything except their association with the disturbing thing

olliebean

Quote from: icehaven on July 31, 2020, 02:43:58 PM
Came here to post that! I always got the theme tune to that and the South Bank show mixed up because they're very similar, but Book Tower's is far creepier.

They're both taken from the same piece of music, Andrew Lloyd Webber's Variations, based on Paganini's Caprice No. 24 in A minor.

BlodwynPig

*noseybonk enters thread shouting Wasaaaaaaaaaap*

jobotic

Don't remember Changes at all. Looks ace. What was it about?

I must have seen The War Game when I was 12 then - my parents took me on CND marches so I already knew to be fucking terrified. And Rochester was just down the road!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game

The whole thing was on iplayer last year but they seem to have taken it off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07shdbv

Day of the Triffids creeped me out a bit but mainly it's public information films that ww saw at school - Building Sites Bite and the like - but they've no doubt been discussed here a hundred times.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: jobotic on July 31, 2020, 08:07:04 PM
Don't remember Changes at all. Looks ace. What was it about?

Society falls apart when humans start smashing up technology... A girl travels with some Sikhs across Britain and finds a strange cave with a hum that might be causing the societal meltdown.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 31, 2020, 06:07:17 PM
Surprised none of the boys and girls of CaB of a certain age have mentioned Shadows yet.

Holyzombiejesus has mentioned in the reply to my question on the first page. It's not the programme I mentioned though, although I did ask what it was in another of my early posts, about a gang of yobs chanting 'we'll kill the cat, we'll squash it flat.' And having discovered that Lotte's been peeing on the carpet again I fully agree with that sentiment.

Can't remember anything else about Shadows though.

Bingo Fury

Ambient Sheep

Exactly my two.  Thanks for saving me the trouble. :)

EDIT: First two.  He added the third later.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That picture in the middle, Children of the Stones, isn't it? Creepy as fuck.

Bingo Fury

No, it's Escape Into Night, the source material of which was later made into the film Paperhouse. The rocks-with-eyes shat up me up so much as a seven-year-old that I called my mum through to watch it with me, the only time I think I ever did that.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on July 31, 2020, 07:46:05 PM
They're both taken from the same piece of music, Andrew Lloyd Webber's Variations, based on Paganini's Caprice No. 24 in A minor.

Aha! I thought maybe the chord progression was just the same but that makes more sense.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Bingo Fury on July 31, 2020, 08:50:06 PM
No, it's Escape Into Night, the source material of which was later made into the film Paperhouse. The rocks-with-eyes shat up me up so much as a seven-year-old that I called my mum through to watch it with me, the only time I think I ever did that.

Ooops, thought it was called COTS, I deffo remember watching it when I was a similar age to you, shat me up good and proper, so it did.

Ambient Sheep

Children of the Stones exists, but is something different.  Before the internet (well actually before a late-90s edition of SFX), every time someone of Bingo Fury and I's vintage tried to describe Escape Into Night, people would say "Oh no, you mean Children of the Stones" but I knew it wasn't that.

It was finally solved by the Q&A column in said SFX, in which someone wrote in along those lines: "What WAS this that *wasn't* Children of the Stones??", and all was revealed.

I'd already seen Paperhouse by then, not knowing at first it was the same story, then gradually realising (which was amazing), and that gave me the name of the original book (Marianne Dreams by Catherine Storr) but I still didn't know the name of the TV show until SFX.

Escape was Apr-May 1972; Children was Jan-Feb 1977 (which is why I never saw it as a kid, I'd just started big school by then and would have got home too late).

They're both now available on DVD, as is The Changes (with a ridiculously horrible cover, I don't know WHAT the BFI were thinking).

Quote from: Bingo Fury on July 31, 2020, 08:50:06 PMThe rocks-with-eyes shat up me up so much as a seven-year-old that I called my mum through to watch it with me, the only time I think I ever did that.

I was the same age, and I think I did the same!  It was certainly the only kid's TV show to ever give me nightmares: I used to wake up screaming that the rocks were coming up the garden path to get me.

I've watched them both (as well as Timeslip[nb]Also the possessor of a super-scary bit that was cut on repeat after parental complaints.[/nb] and The Changes) over the last couple of years.

Children is great, still fresh even to jaded adult eyes that had never seen it as a child.  Escape is incredibly low-budget, has some iffy acting in it, and drags a bit, but still has some power to chill.  Although it didn't affect me too much on repeat, I watched it with some friends and at least one of them seemed to be mildly shitting himself at two or three key moments. :)

Timeslip and The Changes both great too.

Next, I keep meaning to get round to Sky (Apr-May 1975).  Another creepy one, written by Bob Baker & Dave Martin, about an alien (but human looking) child stranded on earth.  A bit like a more grown-up Boy from Space.

Have had the DVD for ages, but not watched it yet, however given it apparently was shot around Stonehenge, Avebury, and Glastonbury Tor, I really must.

Helvetica Scenario

Quote from: jobotic on July 31, 2020, 08:07:04 PM
I must have seen The War Game when I was 12 then - my parents took me on CND marches so I already knew to be fucking terrified. And Rochester was just down the road!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game

The whole thing was on iplayer last year but they seem to have taken it off.

It's up on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

Haven't seen much of it so I didn't know it was set in Rochester, which I used to live up the road from as well. Always wondered what the Medway Towns would look like melted, now's my chance!

Anyway, this absolute bloody nightmare of a programme deserves a mention: https://youtu.be/5zIbEoGRt-Q

Even the Boy from Space himself was an unspeakable horror!: https://youtu.be/ifqn0vursW8

Fuck OFF!

Ambient Sheep

The problem for me with rewatching The Boy From Space is that the only available version is the 1980 revamp with fucking Wordy and Co.  The 1971 original that made a big impression on me seems to be lost. :-(

Mind you, the DVD apparently has a 70m feature-length Wordy-less edit, so might still buy it.

jobotic

Quote from: Helvetica Scenario on August 01, 2020, 12:14:25 AM
It's up on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

Haven't seen much of it so I didn't know it was set in Rochester, which I used to live up the road from as well. Always wondered what the Medway Towns would look like melted, now's my chance!

I now live in Rochester. Moved all the way from Rainham. Quite the globetrotter.

They bombed Marston too. Now to be a Brexit lorry park.

Phil_A

Quote from: icehaven on July 31, 2020, 02:43:58 PM
And Chocky. Not just the intro (although it is chilling) but the entire programme.
https://youtu.be/e3ztIDFU2P8

The first series has it's moments, second and third it turns into a knock-off Tomorrow People and is definitely not as good.

Here's a really baffling one. It concerns a Children's BBC show called The Album which is so obscure you'd have no evidence it ever existed if it wasn't for BBC Genome(broadcast between 87-89 apparently). The details of the format are sketchy now, I think it took place in a shop and the titular Album was a giant book that characters could walk in and out of. Anyway, one bit that bothered me as a kid was when in certain episodes (and I'm sure it happened more than once) the camera would go into close-up on a hat on display in the window, and then pan down to reveal it was actually it was actually being worn by a mustachioed circus ringleader kind-of gentleman, and you'd hear the sounds of circus type things going on but it stayed in close-up on his grinning fizzog. And for some reason, I found this whole sequence creepy as all fuck. I grew to dread watching it just in case he appeared again.

The other one, which I've mentioned many times on here, was that harrowing Channel 4 animation about a man on an island with a monkey. One day I will find out what this was.