Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV that freaked you out as a kid

Started by The Lurker, July 30, 2020, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: earl_sleek on August 02, 2020, 10:00:08 AM
Wurzel Gummidge when he fell down the fucking hill.

The Crimestoppers music, an even more ominous crescendo than Mastermind.

when my brother was four, he farted precisely one beat after the end of the theme. it was the perfect timing for a fart. sort of thing that gets critical acclaim

Quote from: Phil_A on August 01, 2020, 12:47:31 AM
The first series has it's moments, second and third it turns into a knock-off Tomorrow People and is definitely not as good.

Here's a really baffling one. It concerns a Children's BBC show called The Album which is so obscure you'd have no evidence it ever existed if it wasn't for BBC Genome(broadcast between 87-89 apparently). The details of the format are sketchy now, I think it took place in a shop and the titular Album was a giant book that characters could walk in and out of. Anyway, one bit that bothered me as a kid was when in certain episodes (and I'm sure it happened more than once) the camera would go into close-up on a hat on display in the window, and then pan down to reveal it was actually it was actually being worn by a mustachioed circus ringleader kind-of gentleman, and you'd hear the sounds of circus type things going on but it stayed in close-up on his grinning fizzog. And for some reason, I found this whole sequence creepy as all fuck. I grew to dread watching it just in case he appeared again.

The other one, which I've mentioned many times on here, was that harrowing Channel 4 animation about a man on an island with a monkey. One day I will find out what this was.

Remember using that TV show as an excuse to shout BUM at school.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 01, 2020, 08:08:43 PM
ah, the folly of youth. You know nuffin' about nightmares, NUFFIN'

It's from this

I really liked Chimera at the time but wasn't that freaked out by it, probably as I was 17 by that point and had subjected myself to far more disturbing material. I do remember being disturbed by the rather odd monkey madness that was First Born from a few years earlier though.

BlodwynPig

I'd caution you against demeaning my primitive trauma.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 02, 2020, 03:32:42 PM
I'd caution you against demeaning my primitive trauma.

As long as you were under 14 when watching it I completely understand why it would disturb. Otherwise every post I make from now on will be mocking you.

George White

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 31, 2020, 07:54:40 AM
Mock! Mock! DIE!

The Little Vampire 1985 - that was one hell of a fever dream. Absolutely terrifying. Woozy soft lens hallucination of a show. An anaemic Punky Brewster on PCP.

German-Canadian-British coproduction, hence the Canadian shooting locations, Michael "Tigh from NuBSG" Hogan as the da, Gert Frobe as the vampire hunter and Count Michael Gough.

Captain Z

Various moments from the Look And Read show "Through The Dragon's Eye" that we watched at school. Looking back, it was clearly inspired by the Chernobyl disaster, although I wasn't really aware of any of that at the time. Particular moments I remember being unsettling:

- The Veetacore exploding
- One or more of the characters being turned into slime ?
- The evil character Charn

ollyboro

When Grandstand finished and the Tom Baker era Doctor Who theme tune kicked in......proper shivers. It could have been Frank Bough aftershocks. Great drink.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: George White on August 02, 2020, 05:48:22 PM
German-Canadian-British coproduction, hence the Canadian shooting locations, Michael "Tigh from NuBSG" Hogan as the da, Gert Frobe as the vampire hunter and Count Michael Gough.

I just remember a scene where he floats up the stairs. I sometimes have nightmares featuring that scene. Less the vampire aspect, more just the fucking eerie North American soft-focus and, if I remember, drops in any environmental sound or soundtrack that kind of drew you into the scene.

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 31, 2020, 07:47:20 AM

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 31, 2020, 08:51:00 AMThere were 2 things on TV that I remember scaring the shit out of me when I was about 4 or 5.

Quote from: icehaven on July 31, 2020, 02:43:58 PMAnd Chocky. Not just the intro (although it is chilling) but the entire programme.
https://youtu.be/e3ztIDFU2P8

Absolutely loved Chocky. Tried to watch it on online recently but the only uploads on YouTube are 240p. How fickle am I?

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 31, 2020, 03:01:56 PM

Quote from: TheMonk on July 31, 2020, 03:50:19 PMDafthead off Worzel

Watched all of Wurzel Gummidge and Catweazle online a little while ago. Wonderfully weird and nostalgic stuff.

Quote from: Bingo Fury on July 31, 2020, 08:40:09 PM

Yeah, the Trek end credits always provided a dose of teatime terror. Also makes me think of something I've mentioned on here before, Whitley 'Communion' Strieber appearing on The Late Late Show on RTE, they slowly faded the image of the alien's face on the book cover up onto the screen during the interview. Chilling.

Quote from: mrfridge on August 01, 2020, 07:58:29 AMAt a similar time there was a show called Chimera on ITV about a hybrid monkey / human experiment gone wrong that always stayed with me.

https://youtu.be/IecGSCh7sLA

Zelda in Terrahawks was terrifying in the 80's.

Yeah, remember watching Chimera when it was first broadcast. As for Terrhawks' Zelda, she was scary enough but her mate MOID was absolute fucking nightmare fuel:

Quote from: Cerys on August 02, 2020, 02:48:07 AM

My Granny bought me a Muppets annual one Christmas, there were several cartoon adventures in it featuring Uncle Deadly and he puzzled and disturbed in equal measure.

Brundle-Fly

The mask-making scene in TV series pilot The Invisible Man (1975). The FX still looks pretty effective and they really unsettled me.

mrfridge

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 01, 2020, 08:31:31 PM
I'm sorry, I missed that post - but you and I align well. Do you remember Fires in the Fall (Bergerac episode)? I'd happy do a rewatch of that and Chimera together on a shared platform.

Sorry Blodwyn, I only just spotted your reply. I'd love to do a rewatch at some point but I've got two small children (not held captive, they're actually mine) so I don't have time to do ANY nice things whatsoever. When that changes in roughly 12 years I'll give you a nudge!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mrfridge on August 09, 2020, 08:30:09 AM
Sorry Blodwyn, I only just spotted your reply. I'd love to do a rewatch at some point but I've got two small children (not held captive, they're actually mine) so I don't have time to do ANY nice things whatsoever. When that changes in roughly 12 years I'll give you a nudge!

Indoctrinate them to the ways of the wyrd!