Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Northern lockdown

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 31, 2020, 10:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Looks like an absolute shambles. Clearly driven by the economy, there's no other reason pubs would be kept open but people cannot meet in private gardens unless they are in a support bubble (or for other limited reasons to be specified). I can't believe that meeting people outdoors would be causing a rise in cases but people meeting in pubs and restaurants isn't. Unless people meeting in gardens aren't socially distancing or something.

All very last minute as well.

Quote...There was confusion following Health Secretary Matt Hancock's morning interviews about whether households in the affected areas would be allowed to visit peoples' homes outside the restricted zone.

The official guidance suggests this would illegal but Hancock initially suggested that it would be allowed as long as people adhered to social distancing, telling BBC Breakfast: "Strictly, the law that we're bringing in is that two households cannot meet in the area defined but obviously any two households should follow the social distancing rules."

Later on BBC Radio Manchester he suggested that visiting households outside the affected area was "against the advice" but suggested it would not be covered by law, saying there was a "distinction between the guidance and the law on this issue".

However, this appears to be against the official advice published on Friday morning. The DHSC has been contacted for clarity.

Hancock appeared to struggle when pressed on the issue by BBC Radio Manchester presenter Becky Want, saying: "I'll make it absolutely clear, which is that there's a distinction between the guidance and the law. I will absolutely get back to you with the exact ..." before his words became inaudible.

Asked four times whether a household in the affected area could visit someone who was not, he then said: "No because that is against the advice but the point I was making is about the specifics of the law, which is that this law applies to people who are in the affected area."..

Matt Hancock is a balloon of piss.

idunnosomename

Bit unfair to balloons and piss that

Mr Banlon

They're doing it because of Eid. They're not saying it, but that's what they're doing.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 31, 2020, 10:48:33 AM
They're doing it because of Eid. They're not saying it, but that's what they're doing.
did they just see the videos of mecca and think "oh fuck its that eid thing tomorrow"

Cuellar

Folks saying 'imagine if you were told on Christmas Eve that you couldn't see your family tomorrow'

Well we'll find out in a few months time I reckon

Cuellar

Would make a nice change tbh. Christmas is always me driving around the country for about a week. Fed up with it.

Mr Banlon

"We're bringing in quarantine for foreign travellers at the end of the month."
"Masks will be mandatory in all shops from the end of next week."

Eid tomorrow ?
"Right, lockdown right away ! Oh, but leave the pubs, bookies and Bob's Bacon Bunker open. That'll wind 'em right up."

BlodwynPig

about to go to the pub, which cities does this effect again?

I've already planned for possibly having to drop portions of Christmas dinner off at my mum and auntie's places and having to do the festivities over zoom or whatever.

"Oh, that would be awful" says mum. Tell you what would be worse. Having my overriding memory of our new kitchen we're spending a fortune on being the place where we infected and killed some of the people we love. You'll have your tupperware turkey and you'll fucking like it.

Consignia

To be fair there's also been a massive (relatively) serge in Altrincham, where apparently it's lots of middle class get-togethers are happening. That's particularly why garden visits have been banned.

The message has been shit, though. Announced late last night with no detail causing loads of confusion.

Sebastian Cobb

Given they didn't announce this shit until 9/10pm last night it's quite possible people had already arrived at relatives houses only to find out they were breaking the rules.

Also as I said in the other thread, this is during a heatwave so a side effect is people not being allowed to meet up at other people's houses but allowed to go to the pub, making them more busy.

jobotic

What does a right-wing grifter do?

It's pissing off the Muslims so that is good, but they can't support lockdowns because of Venezuela or something.

Bazooka

HS2, Chinese cold in the north, coincidence?

Pranet

It's going to be a long winter of misery and death.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on July 31, 2020, 12:16:31 PM
What does a right-wing grifter do?

It's pissing off the Muslims so that is good, but they can't support lockdowns because of Venezuela or something.

They're trying to say minorities spread it worse/when white people are around. Probably while taking photos of themselves not wearing masks in shops.

I think they probably have data to back up their advice for controlling the spread of this virus that doesn't give a shit what religion you belong to

Remember when the country got locked down at Easter and none of you highlighted that?

Pubs are open because we're SUPPOSED to be following social distancing guidelines, the track and trace data is clearly showing that this is spreading in homes, the same way it has all over the world

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 31, 2020, 12:22:35 PM
They're trying to say minorities spread it worse/when white people are around. Probably while taking photos of themselves not wearing masks in shops.

Well if the BAME community will insist on living in multiple occupancy buildings instead of just buying houses with good bits of land that you can self isolate on then what do they expect?

BAME people are worst hit by this virus - why are you all so against the government doing what they can to protect them?

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 31, 2020, 01:06:38 PM
BAME people are worst hit by this virus - why are you all so against the government doing what they can to protect them?

We're against them being blamed you flaccid cock.

frajer

Boris to public: "Right, I said you could go to the pub and the beach and back to work, and what did you all do? You caught COVID! Like a bunch of wallies. Why didn't you all just give it a thrashing, like I did? Because you're weak and I am strong. LOCK IT DOWN, HANDCOCK!"

And then he repeats the same message in what he says is Latin and the sign-language lady frowns and shrugs for ages.

jobotic

I wonder if Paulie uses the phrase "BAME people" when he's on one of his other forums.

Bence Fekete

Quote from: Pranet on July 31, 2020, 12:22:09 PM
It's going to be a long winter of misery and death.

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Bernice

As long as some cunt on the internet reckons there's probably data to back this decision up I don't see how we can question it really.

idunnosomename

Would have preferred in boris hadnt boasted about shaking hands with hospital staff and thinking we could weasel out of a lockdown with herd immunity so we didn't have all this absolute shambles of banning Eid seven hours before sunrise

Very few bootlickers hold out as long are paulie tho

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on July 31, 2020, 01:39:34 PM
I wonder if Paulie uses the phrase "BAME people" when he's on one of his other forums.

There's a school of thought it's actually not progressive (and mostly shorthand as 'not-white') as it completely ignores how different groups seem to get it.

E.g. people of Indian ethnicity aren't far behind white people in household income, but Banglageshi's are really low.

Cuellar

Quote from: jobotic on July 31, 2020, 01:39:34 PM

Who cares

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 31, 2020, 10:48:33 AM
To be fair, it's Eid al-Adha, which is mainly about killing sheep. If I was a sheep I'd be pretty chuffed right now, in fact I'd probably be running round coughing on anyone who looks even slightly not stocious. Mark my words, the turkeys have the same plan for Christmas, they're storing up phlegm in their little red pouches even as I type this.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Consignia on July 31, 2020, 11:58:19 AM
To be fair there's also been a massive (relatively) serge in Altrincham
Hey, he's just big-boned.