Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:03:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Muppets Now

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 31, 2020, 10:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Disney you've done it again!

Pseudopath

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on July 31, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
I'm genuinely surprised at how well people seem to regard The Muppets (2011). I'd just finished a binge watch of the original series and subsequent movies and felt the 2011 offering was completely tonally misjudged.

It's got Amy Adams in it though, so it is one of the finest movies ever crafted.

the science eel

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 31, 2020, 06:16:35 PM
The Muppet Show is the greatest TV entertainment* programme of all time

True.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Capturing the specific Muppety tone seems elusive. Modern efforts are so clearly influenced by other comedy trends and seem to lose something in translation.

TheMonk

A question - why is the original Muppet Show series elusive?
Why aren't they on Disney Plus?
I'd watch those. I used to have a few DVDs but I don't think they even got the whole lot out and there was not much in the way of extras as far as I can recall.

thr0b

Quote from: TheMonk on August 01, 2020, 01:11:07 PM
I'd watch those. I used to have a few DVDs but I don't think they even got the whole lot out and there was not much in the way of extras as far as I can recall.

Music rights, probably.

DrGreggles

Quote from: TheMonk on August 01, 2020, 01:11:07 PM

I bought a fan-made box set a few years ago. All 5 series and shitloads of extras. It's superb.

SavageHedgehog

The first three series were released on official DVDs. I think each set has about an hour-two hours of extras, so not too shabby but if I recall correctly they're more general Muppet\Henson documentaries than anything too specific about the show.

The new Kermit voice will take some getting used to but it's not bad by any stretch. It's just jarring because Matt Vogel is doing his own impression of Jim Henson's Kermit (and sometimes, more accurately), rather than trying to sound anything like Whitmire's. I hear more subtleties in Vogel's version, like Henson's very faint Mississippi accent. It also sounds more natural and less like putting-on a voice. Again, it's jarring because it's different and we had 20 years to get used to Whitmire's version, but I think it's good.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on August 01, 2020, 07:39:15 PM
The new Kermit voice will take some getting used to but it's not bad by any stretch. It's just jarring because Matt Vogel is doing his own impression of Jim Henson's Kermit (and sometimes, more accurately), rather than trying to sound anything like Whitmire's. I hear more subtleties in Vogel's version, like Henson's very faint Mississippi accent. It also sounds more natural and less like putting-on a voice, like Henson's. Again, it's jarring because it's different and we had 20 years to get used to Whitmire's version, but I think it's good.

Nah, it's dog shit. Utter, utter dog shit.

The Bumlord

Is Jordan Peterson busy at the moment?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Utterdrivel on August 02, 2020, 09:25:45 PM
Is Jordan Peterson busy at the moment?
probably passed out on pills on a couch in Serbia tbh

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 01, 2020, 07:16:14 PM
The first three series were released on official DVDs. I think each set has about an hour-two hours of extras, so not too shabby but if I recall correctly they're more general Muppet\Henson documentaries than anything too specific about the show.

But be warned the first series UK and US DVDs are cut and missing about 15-20 minutes (mostly down to music rights, but there are also some really odd removals akin to previous Monty Python's Flying Circus releases).  There was a "special anniversary collector's edition" of series 1 released a few years ago which claimed to be fully restored, but I've never been able to get confirmation of that (the printed running time is only 2 minutes different from the two previous cut releases).  That, plus the fact that series 4 and 5 (which both had some of the greatest episodes), The Jim Henson Hour and The Muppets Tonight are STILL unavailable has held me off buying them.