Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:58:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Killers Kancelled

Started by Rizla, July 31, 2020, 03:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Shit Good Nose

I'm no fan so it doesn't bother me either way, but isn't it just the road crew implicated in nastiness (I can't read the link on my mobile as the way it displays makes it impossible)?

SpiderChrist

"About a week into the tour, the bus because unsafe. The band members (who had their own bus), would bring drunken groupies to our bus and laugh when the girls were too drunk to realize everyone was making fun of them. It was like a sport to them. They clued the audio crew into a special that they had going on. If we trolled for chicks for them, made sure we checked IDs and the girls would come backstage with the unspoken arrangement that they would blow a band member, we could get a $50 bonus. Even more, if the girl would get naked and shower for one particular member, we would get an extra $50."

Captain Z

Link to the evidence that the story is about The Killers? Not doubting it, but there is none there.

Quote from: Captain Z on July 31, 2020, 03:52:35 PM
Link to the evidence that the story is about The Killers? Not doubting it, but there is none there.

Somebody told me.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Rizla on July 31, 2020, 04:29:00 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53581574?fbclid=IwAR0yN4kTa023-bgf8-uyobp228dyHVzKCarR0FvAlLpXesTpSzRwxpU_Qm4

QuoteNone of the band members were implicated in the assault.

Fuck off. They're implicated in the other activities noted in that account, which is the same fucking tour. Whether the band knew that the "Dressing Room A" incident took place or not, their reprehensible prior actions continue to normalise or enable that sort of thing. It is systemic and comments like that from the BBC only serve to reinforce this behaviour. Atrocious.

Captain Z

OK. Just didn't want to let a rumour ruin their moonlight.

Brundle-Fly

The rock'n'roll rock has yet to be properly lifted to see the seething mass of lice wriggling underneath. I'm astonished its been so far down the end of the industries queue.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2020, 04:47:19 PM
Fuck off. They're implicated in the other activities noted in that account, which is the same fucking tour. Whether the band knew that the "Dressing Room A" incident took place or not, their reprehensible prior actions continue to normalise or enable that sort of thing. It is systemic and comments like that from the BBC only serve to reinforce this behaviour. Atrocious.

Well said, shame it has to be said.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2020, 04:47:19 PM

I understand people being "appalled" by groupie type stuff now, but what did they think mega-famous bands in their 20s got up to on tour? Not speaking about the incident alleged here, but the "reprehensible actions" the actual band members were up to. Honestly, specifically checking IDs probably puts them in the green compared to most.

I'm amazed Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson haven't faced much cancellation. There was an incident detailed in Manson's autobiography (I think) which made me shudder even in a pre-woke teenage nihilist phase.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 31, 2020, 09:07:29 PM
I understand people being "appalled" by groupie type stuff now, but what did they think mega-famous bands in their 20s got up to on tour? Not speaking about the incident alleged here, but the "reprehensible actions" the actual band members were up to. Honestly, specifically checking IDs probably puts them in the green compared to most.
What's this argument for? That, because it's happened a lot, we shouldn't care about it? That we can't expect men in their 20s to not sexually assault women?

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 31, 2020, 09:07:29 PMI'm amazed Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson haven't faced much cancellation. There was an incident detailed in Manson's autobiography (I think) which made me shudder even in a pre-woke teenage nihilist phase.
https://metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/video-of-evan-rachel-wood-detailing-alleged-abusive-relationship-with-marilyn-manson-in-senate-testimony-resurfaces

Has Manson done much in recent years?

The Mollusk

There are certainly artists whose work I like that I need to reappraise (and I'm not sure whether you've mentioned Manson specifically because you know this discussion has come up on here before with me involved in it, or if that's just coincidence) but are you implying that, just because in this instance they checked the IDs of the women, everything else they did as mentioned in that part of the blog post was acceptable?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 31, 2020, 09:15:34 PM
What's this argument for? That, because it's happened a lot, we shouldn't care about it? That we can't expect men in their 20s to not sexually assault women?

Is having sex with fans sexual assault though? Like I said, I'm not talking about the alleged crew incident.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2020, 09:34:43 PM
There are certainly artists whose work I like that I need to reappraise (and I'm not sure whether you've mentioned Manson specifically because you know this discussion has come up on here before with me involved in it, or if that's just coincidence) but are you implying that, just because in this instance they checked the IDs of the women, everything else they did as mentioned in that part of the blog post was acceptable?

I think fucking people (or watching them shower, with consent) is more or less fine, fan or not.

The Mollusk

Dude, are we reading the same post? The one where it's been alleged that the band members humiliated drunk women and then treated them like sex objects in exchange for money with the crew? You're alright with that happening?

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2020, 11:06:34 PM
Dude, are we reading the same post? The one where it's been alleged that the band members humiliated drunk women and then treated them like sex objects in exchange for money with the crew? You're alright with that happening?

I haven't read the linked post, but the quoted bit above sounds fairly tame (almost favourable to the band) compared to the normal conduct of basically every successful rock band in history.

Obviously it crosses over into assault if the allegation is that someone was intoxicated beyond the point of consent, but that is not clear from the above account and it reads more to me like a condemnation of the existence of groupies and of the very thought that there are fans of a band who are willing to have sex with them back stage or even for money.

Not really a lifestyle that sounds at all desirable to me, but I'm not really prepared to kancel the Killers for being boorish rock stereotypes 13+ years ago.

(To be clear, I'm separating the allegations about the band from the the crew-related allegations)

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2020, 11:06:34 PM

It really depends on exactly how any of that transpired. "The band members (who had their own bus), would bring drunken groupies to our bus and laugh when the girls were too drunk to realize everyone was making fun of them" is vague enough to be interpreted any number of ways, not for me to jump to accusing them of being complicit in sexual assault. As for paying crew members to bring groupies backstage ... I mean, it's not something I would do, but I'm also not in a touring band with hundreds of strangers wanting to meet me every night. I know a few self-confessed "groupies", so unless there's anything to suggest the band members forced anyone into it, I don't reckon it's any of my business to pass moral judgement on either one of their behaviours.

Again, just as far as "bands and groupies" go. The dressing room incident among the crew members is a whole other story if true.

non capisco

Typed up a whole diatribe and lost it when my internet suddenly went on the fritz. Basically : this shit ain't OK even if it is 'basically how rock stars have always behaved'. Of course it fucking isn't. It never was. If the hens are coming home to roost then good.

The Mollusk

To be perfectly clear, I am not accusing The Killers of out-and-out sexual assault (nor am I calling for them to be cancelled) and it kind of sounds like youse are saying "it's not like they raped anybody!" as if that makes the actions described otherwise acceptable, when in fact it's not, and it's vile.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 01, 2020, 12:12:20 AM
To be perfectly clear, I am not accusing The Killers of out-and-out sexual assault and it kind of sounds like youse are saying "it's not like they raped anybody!" as if that makes the actions described otherwise acceptable, when in fact it's not, and it's vile.

There's absolutely been some conflation of the band's antics and "sexual assault" though, which is presumably why they're taking some legal action. As for whether systematically having sex with groupies or making fun of drunk people is inherently "vile" or not, that'll just be a difference of opinion between us.

They should just blame it all on the drummer.

Flouncer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 01, 2020, 12:22:30 AM
There's absolutely been some conflation of the band's antics and "sexual assault" though, which is presumably why they're taking some legal action. As for whether systematically having sex with groupies or making fun of drunk people is inherently "vile" or not, that'll just be a difference of opinion between us.

Yeah there always seems to be a difference of opinion between you and people who think that women should be treated with respect. Literally every single time you post in a thread discussing some sort of sexual offence committed by a man, you take the exact same position and come out with the same sort of stuff - either casting doubt on the victim's account or blaming them, minimising what happened, defending the abuser. I've seen you do this loads of times over the years and I'm sick of seeing you do it time and time again without being called out on it. I have actually challenged you about it twice in the past, and you didn't respond on either occasion. I think the reason you feel compelled to defend these abusers is because you are one. You're a rotten cunt.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Flouncer on August 01, 2020, 03:55:20 AM
Yeah there always seems to be a difference of opinion between you and people who think that women should be treated with respect. Literally every single time you post in a thread discussing some sort of sexual offence committed by a man, you take the exact same position and come out with the same sort of stuff - either casting doubt on the victim's account or blaming them, minimising what happened, defending the abuser. I've seen you do this loads of times over the years and I'm sick of seeing you do it time and time again without being called out on it. I have actually challenged you about it twice in the past, and you didn't respond on either occasion. I think the reason you feel compelled to defend these abusers is because you are one. You're a rotten cunt.

I'm genuinely a bit baffled by this, not least because I don't recall these challenges or any specific interaction with you, honestly. It may well be that I only see it worth posting on the subject if there's ambiguity I find worth discussing rather than just echoing "down with this sort of thing", but if you're going to make the leap from that to "you ARE an abuser", then there's really nothing more for us to discuss - and I'd rather not.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 31, 2020, 06:23:07 PM
The rock'n'roll rock has yet to be properly lifted to see the seething mass of lice wriggling underneath. I'm astonished its been so far down the end of the industries queue.

It is, some of the what would now be considered serious crimes, are even openly written about in rock biographies. A lot went down for decades. I wonder if it is because some acts are protected by their fans, and a lot of the bands and singers time has come and gone.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 01, 2020, 07:26:20 AM
It may well be that I only see it worth posting on the subject if there's ambiguity I find worth discussing

I don't think there's much ambiguity in the story here. Unless you're *gulp* suggesting that the person who wrote the post is lying for some reason, despite having a sober third party recollection of the events and risking her career to recount them for the rest of the world.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 01, 2020, 12:22:30 AM
As for whether systematically having sex with groupies or making fun of drunk people is inherently "vile" or not, that'll just be a difference of opinion between us.

Well, why not try to put yourself in someone else's shoes and then see how you feel about it? Would you like to be a vulnerable woman in the company of one of the biggest bands in the world, intoxicated, insecure, knowing that despite having higher access clearance by way of being suggestive and incoherent and having a vagina, you are exposing yourself to all sorts of potential abuse, humiliation, even rape?

Something I will gladly admit to having not considered enough in the past but am now far more aware of in everything that I say and do is this: You really need to consider what it means to be a woman. After centuries of subjugation, being mentally conditioned to believing that, in this scenario at least, this is the only way you are able to experience what you believe to be privilege, to be one of the boys. This isn't just "woo I'm gonna get loaded at the gig and party with the band". You used the word yourself: systemic. That's what this is. Men knowing they can get what they want and getting it because women don't think they're worth any higher level of respect than to degrade themselves just to be recognised.

Calling this behaviour systemic but not bothering to question why that might be troublesome might make you a bit more aware of the issue than others, but you still aren't doing anything to instigate change, and that's a problem.

Custard

Flouncer, mate. Completely unfounded and uncalled for

holyzombiejesus

I dunno. He is talking about someone who went with a prostitute 'for a laugh'.