Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Mad Heat

Started by Polymorphia, July 31, 2020, 08:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polymorphia

All the tabloid sites are signalling this as the start of a severe heatwave. How are you coping with the 30C+ weather? Are you wishing for winter's immediate return?

Alberon

It's over tomorrow so no heatwave, but it might get hot again next weekend.

Thirty years from now these temperatures will seem a bit chilly for July, though.

Attila

Got super hot today -- really warm from early this morning...then about 3 or 4pm, temps dropped dramatically and it's been breezey and cool (on the south coast here.)

Sebastian Cobb

23 degrees and raining its arse off in my ends.

The Mollusk

My house miraculously does not absorb heat at all and has been lovely and cool all day. Opened the back door earlier and it was like being hit with a fucking giant hair dryer. And there was also an intense blast of heat!

BlodwynPig

10 mile walk (just to go to a pub) and now look and feel like toast.

shiftwork2

It was 36 on my drive home but it's gone now, temperate weather back tomorrow 25 or something.

BlodwynPig

one crack of thunder, pathetic

Buelligan

Bunch of fucking wimps.

idunnosomename

it wasnt too bad here today. i will dine out on this for as long as i can but i was in cambridge during this last year: https://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/cambridge-university-botanic-garden-records-highest-ever-uk-temperature/

fucking hell. it was beyond hot

Glebe

Been raining like fuck here in Ireland these past few weeks, but there's still been a couple of scorchers; it's nearly half one in the morning and it's hot as buggery.

ollyboro

Struck by lightning; other than that, I feel fins. That's fine, with an S.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on July 31, 2020, 08:11:08 PM
It's over tomorrow so no heatwave, but it might get hot again next weekend.

Thirty years from now these temperatures will seem a bit chilly for July, though.

This isn't the start of a climate denial pivot but 30 years ago this was happening

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_United_Kingdom_heat_wave

wooders1978

It was hotter at my place than it was in Singapore yesterday - bout 35 degs

A few years ago I treated myself to a mobile air conditioner - blasted with cool air all evening, delightful

Tony Tony Tony

Been in Spain all last week, brought it back with me... your welcome

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 01, 2020, 07:43:25 AM

Covid folder is back a few steps

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 01, 2020, 07:43:25 AM

I trust you are in quarantine?

BlodwynPig

hamfist

I was looking at this last night - a realtime lightning map. What was weird yesterday was the wind feeling warm. It can get hot here sometimes but you always have that chill in the wind reminding us we're on a windy island surrounded by sea.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hamfist on August 01, 2020, 11:25:39 AM
I was looking at this last night - a realtime lightning map. What was weird yesterday was the wind feeling warm. It can get hot here sometimes but you always have that chill in the wind reminding us we're on a windy island surrounded by sea.

On the walk I was surprised how little I sweated. The wind was light but a boon. At one point it dropped and my mouth tasted that moist heat you experience in tropical regions.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hamfist on August 01, 2020, 11:25:39 AM

one hell of a storm north west of Bermuda

Billy

Every generation seems to have their own "hot summer" or two (1976, 1983, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2006, 2013, 2018) although it's odd that what's now the two warmest days in UK history were two flukes in an otherwise average or above-average run of days, yesterday and that July day last year. I'm surprised there's been no drought fears given a fairly good run of weather stretching right back to about April, but we did have a bloody massive storm near the start of the year that everyone's forgotten about now.

It's been a while since the last genuinely shit summer, like the bloody awful 2007-08 when all it did was rain and flood and the Rihanna song about umbrellas was number 1, and most of 2012 (especially around Diamond Jubilee time) although it did brighten up a bit by the time the Olympics were on. I'm a bit of a weather nerd and it's fun when random unseasonable heatwaves happen - early October 2011 and late February 2019 massively stand out for being so astonishing and completely confusing me as to what time of the damn year it was.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Billy on August 01, 2020, 11:41:54 AM
Every generation seems to have their own "hot summer" or two (1976, 1983, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2006, 2013, 2018) although it's odd that what's now the two warmest days in UK history were two flukes in an otherwise average or above-average run of days, yesterday and that July day last year. I'm surprised there's been no drought fears given a fairly good run of weather stretching right back to about April, but we did have a bloody massive storm near the start of the year that everyone's forgotten about now.

It's been a while since the last genuinely shit summer, like the bloody awful 2007-08 when all it did was rain and flood and the Rihanna song about umbrellas was number 1, and most of 2012 (especially around Diamond Jubilee time) although it did brighten up a bit by the time the Olympics were on. I'm a bit of a weather nerd and it's fun when random unseasonable heatwaves happen - early October 2011 and late February 2019 massively stand out for being so astonishing and completely confusing me as to what time of the damn year it was.

More posts like this. Would love to get more details on historical weather anomalies and analysis (not just World's Weirdest Weather crap). Any links?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heat_waves

I found this reasonably good stat heavy reading. Also due to the amount of recent data it does build a sense of a planet spiraling out of control.

Chollis

Quote from: wooders1978 on August 01, 2020, 07:36:45 AM
A few years ago I treated myself to a mobile air conditioner - blasted with cool air all evening, delightful

which sort? the proper ones? i bought one of those cheapo ones that's just a fan with an ice tray and it's fuckin shite

El Unicornio, mang

Find yourself an Australian to tell them about it, I guarantee they'll let you know that whatever temp we have is "nothing, mate"

I'm on the north east coast so there's always a chilly north sea wind to take the edge off.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 01, 2020, 12:51:45 PM
Find yourself an Australian to tell them about it, I guarantee they'll let you know that whatever temp we have is "nothing, mate"
It's nothing mate, try one day of 46 here in Penrith 6 months ago *tips cap*. Mid 30s all summer eh