Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad Boy Bubby

Started by Dirty Boy, July 31, 2020, 08:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Boy

"God be a useless cunt"

I was obsessed with this film in my teens. There's so many quotable lines and so many bizarre scenes. Also it's rare that something that begins in such utter hell and depravity should have such an inspiring and beautiful ending. As a cat lover it's hard to watch though...

I've never seen any of Rolf de Heer's other films, should i?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dirty Boy on July 31, 2020, 08:57:53 PM
I've never seen any of Rolf de Heer's other films, should i?

All of his Aboriginal films (which actually make up the lion's share [EDIT - make that "a good chunk" as in my mind I've incorrectly attributed a few other Aboriginal films to him] of his cv) are brill, but very different in style and tone from Bad Boy Bubby, which is now atypical of his work.

thugler

Saw this at a pals as a student as part of a marathon. Thought it was amazing, but thinking back i was wondering how it holds up and if it would have been cancelled nowadays. Anyone seen it recently? It had a big impact on me definitely.

Shit Good Nose

I watched it a few weeks ago and I think it still holds up.  Still a difficult watch in places, regardless of any cancellation thoughts.

Custard

I first saw it in Channel 4 one late night when I was around 17, 18. Instantly mesmerized by it. Incredibly bleak, yet gripping and endlessly quotable

Bought it in a fancy blu-ray edition a couple years ago, and really need to get around to sticking it on

That poor cat though

Dirty Boy

You likely saw the same broadcast as me, i think it was part of Kermit's 'extreme cinema' season.

I don't know about this cancelled buisness, but it certainly plays with some difficult things regarding sex/incest with the mentally ill. He does seem strangely irresistible to women though.

According to the directors commentary (which is one of the best i've heard) the dead cat was a different one from a vets, and although the live one is clearly distressed in a couple of scenes it wasn't injured (does that make it ok? not really...)

Another thing i forgot to post about was how much the story seems to have in common with that of Kasper Hauser (as, i suppose, does the last season of Twin Peaks re: Dougie). I didn't see the Herzog film until much later, but the idea of a character parroting dialogue and being shuffled into situations by random weirdos doesn't seem to be a common thing in other films does it?

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 01, 2020, 10:48:10 AM
Another thing i forgot to post about was how much the story seems to have in common with that of Kasper Hauser (as, i suppose, does the last season of Twin Peaks re: Dougie). I didn't see the Herzog film until much later, but the idea of a character parroting dialogue and being shuffled into situations by random weirdos doesn't seem to be a common thing in other films does it?

Being There is probably the archetype of this. Or Meet Dave.

zomgmouse

Rewatched this about a week ago and it definitely still holds up; it's obviously full of horrific stuff but there's such a human tone to it, some moments especially towards the end made me overwhelmingly emotional.

Rolf de Heer is an incredible director and I've seen all of his films but his last one. Ten Canoes, Alexandra's Project, Dingo, The Quiet Room, The Tracker, there are some fantastic ones in his filmography.