Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Upscaled frame rate moon landing and other footage

Started by Alberon, July 31, 2020, 11:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 06, 2020, 10:26:04 PM
No chance, lol, how many cars did it zoom through? The distortion from the taxi windscreens would be enough to make the picture all dark and fuzzy.

One car, actually, several times.

Search for "how was the opening scene of limitless done," there's at least three links that go into detail.

vainsharpdad

When are they going to come up with X-Ray technology like this so I can get to see Rachel Riley's fanny?

Hand Solo

Quote from: olliebean on August 07, 2020, 09:30:54 AM
One car, actually, several times.

Search for "how was the opening scene of limitless done," there's at least three links that go into detail.

They're not animated though, and only go through about three key frames in a few seconds. The Limitless scene has people and cars etc moving and zooms in for over a minute. I realise it can't be morphing because of the people moving but it's definitely a more complex shot than those videos are presenting.

olliebean

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 07, 2020, 12:48:39 PM
They're not animated though, and only go through about three key frames in a few seconds. The Limitless scene has people and cars etc moving and zooms in for over a minute. I realise it can't be morphing because of the people moving but it's definitely a more complex shot than those videos are presenting.

I didn't watch any of the videos (I thought they were just videos of the actual scene), but there were a couple of interviews and a Quora answer on the first page of results that explained some of the details of the technique they used - see https://www.techhive.com/article/223108/limitless_infinite_zoom.html, for example.

Hand Solo

Quote from: olliebean on August 07, 2020, 07:29:54 PM
I didn't watch any of the videos (I thought they were just videos of the actual scene), but there were a couple of interviews and a Quora answer on the first page of results that explained some of the details of the technique they used - see https://www.techhive.com/article/223108/limitless_infinite_zoom.html, for example.

Ok, so they did use pretty much the same technique as shown in the other videos except using three cameras with different lenses zooming in on moving action simultaneously, not one camera taking three static shots. They just did this several times through New York and then used the 'passing through cab windows' transitions to stitch them all together because the straight line the camera takes isn't geographically accurate in the least.

olliebean

I don't think they zoomed in with the cameras. My understanding of it is that they used three stationary cameras, each with a different lens, so they could combine the three shots into one shot with a higher definition in the centre of the image, so they could zoom in digitally in the edit without it pixelating.

Hand Solo

Yeah, I misspoke, they do the same thing in the videos just with one camera in three different lens modes and use After Effects to 'zoom' or transition between them. That's where the effects guy from the film said there would be blur if you zoomed that quickly through that kind of sequence and they would going to artificially insert it but the director wanted it all to be perfectly crisp and use any blur to hide the transitional shots.

QuoteIf you work out the mathematics of it, which we had to do inside our software to get it to work, it's essentially a zoom lens that goes from a 25mm to a 10-to-the-36th-power millimeter.

I had an idea when I was about 8, before CGI was heavily used in movies, of a shot of black expanse which zoomed out to reveal it was a mite's eye which was crawling across a flea which in turn was on a cat/dog.. etc until eventually it zooms out of the Earth and the galaxy, nebula, universe, into a black expanse which becomes again the mite's eye and it would all repeat, I assumed CGI would be the only way to do this kind of a single shot. I think I remember going to the cinema years later to see Men In Black and they had something similar at the end? Anyway the Limitless thing was a similar idea in reverse but it didn't look like CGI which is why it stuck in my head.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: olliebean on August 07, 2020, 08:18:19 PM
I don't think they zoomed in with the cameras. My understanding of it is that they used three stationary cameras, each with a different lens, so they could combine the three shots into one shot with a higher definition in the centre of the image, so they could zoom in digitally in the edit without it pixelating.

That's the explanation given in this video:

SUPER EASY Infinite Zoom - AFTER EFFECTS (Limitless): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-SgxQYke4

El Unicornio, mang

Stunning upscaled Flying Train footage, 1902 Germany. Looks almost futuristic/steampunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQs5VxNPhzk

Alberon

I've seen quite a few videos that guy has uploaded. I could do without the fake-colourisation, but a lot of them are fascinating. Just reading up on that train and it still runs today.