Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better than Marmite

Started by confettiinmyhair, August 01, 2020, 07:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I didn't know Iceland did "fridge meat". I used to go to Farmfoods for their "three bags of frozen fruit for a fiver" deal until I realised the stuff from other supermarkets is slightly more expensive but a lot nicer and the frozen cherries don't leak cherry juice all over your canvas shopping bags every single time. Farmfoods actually have a chilled section but I wouldn't trust anything out of it.

I am going to have to try this Aldi marmite. It must contain actual crack. I made some roast beef with a bit of marmite a few weeks ago, it was magic. Umami as fuck.

Gurke and Hare

Lidl's fresh tortellini is rotten. The big ready made nasi goreng is good though.

PlanktonSideburns

I like Iceland cos the round up the prices so you know exactly what's going on

Might be shit but it's good honest shit

OK,  so that's turkey dinosaurs, massive jug of orange squash, 12pack of creamed eggs, couplea toblerounes, sweet and sour pot noodle, potato faces.  Let's call it 30quid?

Like going to a drug dealer

PlanktonSideburns

Ooh aldi sack of brilliant white frozen sausages for a quid are bloody great. Always forget I have them in and they're the gift that keeps giving

Dex Sawash

Lidl (america) has a jarred tikka sauce that has a packet of dry spice in the lid that is really good. Product of Germany I think. I fry up red onion and cauliflower with the spice and dump the jar in.

steve98

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 01, 2020, 05:21:07 PM
Ooh aldi sack of brilliant white frozen sausages for a quid are bloody great. Always forget I have them in and they're the gift that keeps giving

A sack of frozen sausages for a quid? (Quality ingredients obviously.)

I visited ASDA earlier and noticed they sell "Unicorn Spread." I don't know what's in it (probably much the same stuff that's in your white sausage, with pink added)

Sebastian Cobb

Not seen that before but I have seen what appears to be 'marshmallow' spread in morrisons.

Ain't right.

honeychile

Aldi do own-brand oat milk which is much cheaper than all of the branded ones.

But if it saved me millions i would still never drink that piss again.

steve98

Milk from oats? Well I never.

salr

Sainsburys own brand bacon crisps are better than frazzles.

M&S do a similar product whis is also good, but they are a bit pricey and you dont seem to get that much in the packet.

bgmnts

Quote from: honeychile on August 01, 2020, 06:27:18 PM

But if it saved me millions i would still never drink that piss

What's it called? It's £1 in Morrisons but would love a cheaper option.

Blue Jam

Quote from: honeychile on August 01, 2020, 06:27:18 PM

But if it saved me millions i would still never drink that piss again.

I bought the Lidl one the other day. Think it was 99p. Probably the same as the Aldi stuff. Not actually tried it yet. I shall steel myself when the time comes. Probably passable in smoothies, right?

Got a kilo of damn good strawberries from Lidl the other day but this is Scotland so I imagine if you got a kilo of strawberries in an English Lidl they'd be pish.

honeychile

Quote from: bgmnts on August 01, 2020, 06:35:09 PM
What's it called? It's £1 in Morrisons but would love a cheaper option.

Just... Aldi Oat Milk or something. I think it was 90p. Is the Morrisons one good? My nearest Morrisons is a bit of a bike ride away but would be prepared to give it a whirl as i do get through a lot of the stuff.

Lidl didn't have their own brand last time i checked so i'll give that a go unless Blue Jam reports degustative catastrophe in the interim. The Aldi one just tasted nothing like the Provitamil or Oatly ones, had this foul rubbery kind of aftertaste.

honeychile

It's funny how some shops do much better marked-down stuff than others. I don't know if it's the whims of store management, but there's a nice Co-op near me where if i go in after 1800 i am guaranteed to get a loaf of bread, often their posher bakery ones, for 20p or less. I never do grocery shopping before the evening, i'd rather see what's available marked-down and build my shop around that.

Did manage to get a white loaf from Sainsburys for 4p recently though.

seepage

^ yes, often I'd get marked-down cheese or Quorn stuff from Waitrose but it'd be reduced about 7% e.g. WAS £5.49 NOW £5.11

bit off-topic but remember the 3 for 2 and reduced price for two of something, especially in the co-op. Often get annoyed at other half: 'BUT YOU COULD HAVE GOT AN EXTRA ONE FREE'

bgmnts

Quote from: honeychile on August 01, 2020, 07:21:21 PM
Just... Aldi Oat Milk or something. I think it was 90p. Is the Morrisons one good? My nearest Morrisons is a bit of a bike ride away but would be prepared to give it a whirl as i do get through a lot of the stuff.

I can't taste much of a difference between that and the Oatly or Alpro to be honest. I'd say its slightly less sweet but still quite nice. Deffo worth a punt.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 01, 2020, 03:32:22 PM
Can get Cinnamon Grahams from a non-nestle source

Have you tried Glinnerman Grahams?  I spent half the time in the toilet.

paruses

Lidl jam is very good and cheap.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on August 01, 2020, 08:02:17 PM
I can't taste much of a difference between that and the Oatly or Alpro to be honest. I'd say its slightly less sweet but still quite nice. Deffo worth a punt.

OATLY IS KILLING IT RIGHT NOW

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 01, 2020, 10:03:45 PM
OATLY IS KILLING IT RIGHT NOW

Oatly is definitely the big player in the oat milk game. They've recently released a Barista range of milk, and it's meant to be better in coffees and such. It tastes the same as ordinary oat milk to me.

Sebastian Cobb

Wish it were possible to get alt-milk in pints.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteyes, often I'd get marked-down cheese or Quorn stuff from Waitrose but it'd be reduced about 7% e.g. WAS £5.49 NOW £5.11

Final reductions mate. First sticker is to attract those with ambitions to the haute bourgeoisie.

You need to learn the rhythms, the hours of action, then you can stalk the aisles like a desperate feral rat to get your hands on some rancid crate veal for shittance.

thr0b

My favourite Asda reductions ever were the time I got two whole cooked chickens off the rotisserie for 10p each.

And during the height of lockdown, they were closing earlier, and everything fresh was available for 10p from around 5pm. I lived like a damned hell-assed king.

thenoise

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 01, 2020, 12:28:53 PM
Said it before but ALDI is often a false economy (unless you know the time they start slapping the discount stickers on), as the model is based on doing smaller sizes at slightly worse quality than big brand food people buy. Obviously that isn't uniformly the case, but that is their way of making money. It is true that their products are sometimes better than other supermarkets own brand products, but they are often not cheaper and they aren't directly squaring off with them. If you look at ALDI's tv adverts they always compared their products with big brands, not supermarkets own brand.

It's worth popping in for bits and bobs nevertheless. The wines are sometimes reasonable value, there are some other reliable go-to products - as you'd hope for. I'm not convinced by the arguments that it's that great value though.

There's more to it than that. If you're a somewhat compulsive person, like me, it makes sense to shop somewhere that only does basic versions of things, lest you get drawn into the promises of 'finest' and 'taste the difference'. Its not about comparing like for like. It's the fact that I can walk round the place chucking whatever I want into my trolley without thinking about it too much,and emerge with about 1/3 the damage as had I done the same in Sainsburys.

Blue Jam

I got some Champagne from Lidl, as a gift to Mr Jam when Liverpool won the Premiership. Think the total for my shop that day came to £25. Before that I hadn't thought it was actually possible to spend that much at Lidl.

Glebe

Quote from: paruses on August 01, 2020, 10:33:59 AMPersonally I think their breakfast cereals are as good as branded ones. I am not massively adventurous so bran flakes, cornflakes, weetabi[x/sk], posh muesli. However, others have said that the flake side of things are not as good with the frosties version getting American Beauty levels of denunciation.

Some years back Kellogg's changed their Special K recipe, and they started tasting too bran-like for my liking. The cheapo Special K knock-offs generally tasted nice like the old-style official Kellogg's ones, but then they all ended up going for this stronger-flavoured thing. Now only (Irish supermarket) Super Valu does the kind of Special K I can enjoy.

I tried their "Mighty Yeast Extract" and thought it a bit crap compared to real Marmite. It's quite runny and doesn't quite have the "meatiness" of the real thing. It's not offensively horrible, just slightly off.