Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:58:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad ire: comedy, centrists and Corbyn.

Started by gilbertharding, August 01, 2020, 02:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: pancreas on August 03, 2020, 09:58:37 PM
People have been retweeting Chris Morris's interview on C4.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1179419540939268097?s=20

I can't see very much in common with what you are saying, Trenter.

That reminds me... I have some Haagan Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake to dig out of the fridge. And Day Shall Come to rewatch on prime.

pancreas

Quote from: Endicott on August 04, 2020, 06:53:24 PM
Morris isn't the type of comic being discussed, he's an actual maverick. Ó Briain is precisely the type who is going, as Morris describes it, for the slap on the back from the orthodox elite, because that's lucrative. That's partially at least Trenter's criticism of DOB, as I read it, in his last post.

Sure, but the problem is that the mavericks just don't exist any more, do they? They're not allowed air-time. Risks aren't taken and the Establishment just grooms mediocrity through an ecology of panel shows.

So when Trenter says it's fine for DOB to be doing his bit, I don't agree. DOB is merely a symptom of the disease, but it would be like saying having mild Aids is fine because you've got HIV anyway. There should be space for someone else and someone desperately trying to fill it with something that has a degree of truth to it.

tl;dr: Dara O'Briain is mild aids.

chveik

besides, using your platform to have a go at the leftist meanies on twitter is fucking pathetic.

lankyguy95

Quote from: chveik on August 05, 2020, 04:06:02 PM
besides, using your platform to have a go at the leftist meanies on twitter is fucking pathetic.
Very odd way of viewing it.

He responded to some pretty tedious criticism of him for making the "wrong" jokes on a light entertainment show.

chveik

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 05, 2020, 04:45:00 PM
Very odd way of viewing it.

He responded to some pretty tedious criticism of him for making the "wrong" jokes on a light entertainment show.

what's that then?

https://twitter.com/DrKRodgers/status/1289520461303255047

lankyguy95

Quote from: chveik on August 05, 2020, 04:48:05 PM
what's that then?

https://twitter.com/DrKRodgers/status/1289520461303255047
Ah never mind, I thought you were talking about him responding on Twitter, rather than him apparently bringing it up on Mock The Week.

Dusty Substance

One of the replies to Dara O'Briain suggests "Mock The Weak" would  be a more appropriate name for his show. Almost as if the outraged Tweeter didn't understand that it's a pun.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 05, 2020, 05:02:24 PM
One of the replies to Dara O'Briain suggests "Mock The Weak" would  be a more appropriate name for his show. Almost as if the outraged Tweeter didn't understand that it's a pun.

I think it was more a play on words on the long running news discussion show, Stop The Week. Stewart Lee used the 'mock the weak' line in a SLCV routine.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: chveik on August 05, 2020, 04:06:02 PM

Writing a whole show about them might be, depending on the depth and severity of the individual's experience with these people, but one quip among many quips seems fair game. Presumably it wouldn't be 'fucking pathetic' to have a go at right wing hate mobs on twitter, online zealots of every stripe are perfectly laughable valid targets.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 05, 2020, 07:18:40 PM
Writing a whole show about them might be, depending on the depth and severity of the individual's experience with these people, but one quip among many quips seems fair game. Presumably it wouldn't be 'fucking pathetic' to have a go at right wing hate mobs on twitter, online zealots of every stripe are perfectly laughable valid targets.
God-fucking-damn, people like you will be both-sides-ing when the entire world is run by open fascists.

chveik

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 05, 2020, 07:18:40 PM

trolls (not the dolls)