Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jarv is

Started by holyzombiejesus, August 01, 2020, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

New Jarvis Cocker album been out for a couple of weeks now. Anyone on here arsed? There was a time when I'd have bothered but he gets on my nerves now. Sainsburys adverts and his pointless presence on that documentary on minimalism irritated me and didn't think much of the previous two albums either. I really want to buy some new music so am half tempted. Thoughts? Anyone?

I think it's great, well worthwhile. I'm all in favour of Jarvis turning into Leonard Cohen (musically) as he ages.

smudge1971

When he sprinted from working class hero to the far side of 'inverted snob' then taxied to 'smack-soaked' Camden Cunt he lost me and the beard just made him look like Pearce Quigley's junkie brother.

PaulTMA

Definitely great, best thing he's done in ages which admittedly isn't saying very much.  Advance preview tracks don't appear to work for this kind of album and should be banned!!!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: smudge1971 on August 01, 2020, 06:57:22 PM
When he sprinted from working class hero to the far side of 'inverted snob' then taxied to 'smack-soaked' Camden Cunt he lost me and the beard just made him look like Pearce Quigley's junkie brother.

I know Pearce Quigley's brother! (He's not a junkie.)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 01, 2020, 04:50:46 PM
New Jarvis Cocker album been out for a couple of weeks now. Anyone on here arsed? There was a time when I'd have bothered but he gets on my nerves now. Sainsburys adverts and his pointless presence on that documentary on minimalism irritated me and didn't think much of the previous two albums either. I really want to buy some new music so am half tempted. Thoughts? Anyone?

That's pretty much how I feel, I used to be a huge Pulp fan but ever since they broke up I've just become more and more annoyed by him, and now I find him mostly embarrassing to listen to. I've only heard the one Jarv Is song (House Music All Night Long) but it made me wince so much that I don't think I can put myself through another.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 01, 2020, 04:54:15 PM
I think it's great, well worthwhile. I'm all in favour of Jarvis turning into Leonard Cohen (musically) as he ages.

I don't get the comparison at all, Cohen became darkly cynical and dryly funny, Jarvis just seems like an out of touch old twat to me these days.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 01, 2020, 08:25:07 PM
I don't get the comparison at all, Cohen became darkly cynical and dryly funny, Jarvis just seems like an out of touch old twat to me these days.

From the album you admittedly haven't listened to.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 01, 2020, 08:25:07 PM
That's pretty much how I feel, I used to be a huge Pulp fan but ever since they broke up I've just become more and more annoyed by him, and now I find him mostly embarrassing to listen to. I've only heard the one Jarv Is song (House Music All Night Long) but it made me wince so much that I don't think I can put myself through another.

I loved (House Music All Night Long) and I'm an out of touch old twat. Ticked two boxes already.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 01, 2020, 08:29:43 PM
From the album you admittedly haven't listened to.

That's true, but I have heard all of his other solo work and not got on with it unfortunately, and both musically and lyrically it was nothing like Cohen has produced.

the science eel

He's a lovely fella but I'm not arsed about this. I think he's just been piddling about in different artistic areas for years now without much conviction. He won't get a cheer from me until he reforms Pulp. And let's be honest that's what we ALL WANT HIM TO DO

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 01, 2020, 08:56:11 PM
both musically and lyrically it was nothing like Cohen has produced.

Yes, except for the album you admittedly haven't listened to.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 01, 2020, 09:16:20 PM
Yes, except for the album you admittedly haven't listened to.

Fine, I'll listen to it, but if it's not Cohen-esque I'm going to be angry and track you down and glare at you, so I hope you're prepared for such an outcome.

Brundle-Fly

If Jarvis Cocker's career is running parallel to Leonard Cohen's? At age 57, Jarv should be premiering an extremely successful comeback album that has three tracks featured in a satirical movie about serial killers and then release fuck all for the best part of a decade.

Nonsense, innit?

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 01, 2020, 09:38:52 PM
Fine, I'll listen to it, but if it's not Cohen-esque I'm going to be angry and track you down and glare at you, so I hope you're prepared for such an outcome.

I've just been informed in PMs that I am evidently confusing the music of one "Leonard Cohen" with the songs sung by Bill Cosby in the film Leonard Part 6. I thought his character's name was Leonard Cohen, and I regret the error.

sutin

The fuck is this thread? It's an awesome album, his best since the first solo album.

I cannot compute finding JC annoying. I'm not having that at all.

sutin

Quote from: the science eel on August 01, 2020, 09:04:15 PM
He's a lovely fella but I'm not arsed about this. I think he's just been piddling about in different artistic areas for years now without much conviction. He won't get a cheer from me until he reforms Pulp. And let's be honest that's what we ALL WANT HIM TO DO

Nope, i'd be happy with him putting out great albums like Beyond The Pale and Jarvis for the rest of his life.

crankshaft

His ubiquity and his long presence as part of the BBC 6 Music home for failed or retired 90s indie musicians has made him an unappealing prospect. Which is a shame, because Pulp got better the longer they went on. His first solo album was lacklustre; the second didn't appeal. And "Must I Evolve?" is dreadful.

holyzombiejesus

Custard

Anyone heard his record with Chilly Gonzales? I never bothered with it, as I wasn't a huge fan of his two previous solo records. Though his Relaxed Muscle album was quite good fun

But yeah, do more Pulp

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: sutin on August 01, 2020, 10:18:16 PM
I cannot compute finding JC annoying. I'm not having that at all.

I never thought I'd think such a thing either, Pulp were the band I loved the most back in the britpop days, and I loved his sly, sleazy sense of humour and wry observations on the world. But I just feel he's aged poorly, like the observations he makes are along the same lines as the 20/30something Jarvis used too, and it's not a good fit. But I've not heard this latest album yet (I plan too tomorrow having now obtained it) so maybe it's a return to form.

lazyhour

I thought his Gonzales collab record was absolutely brilliant. I must have listened to it 50 times at least. And I went off Pulp after Different Class and never bothered with any of Jarvis's solo stuff.

Room 29 is a truly brilliant album. Except that song about the bellboy.

sutin

Quote from: crankshaft on August 01, 2020, 10:27:06 PM
His ubiquity and his long presence as part of the BBC 6 Music home for failed or retired 90s indie musicians has made him an unappealing prospect. Which is a shame, because Pulp got better the longer they went on. His first solo album was lacklustre; the second didn't appeal. And "Must I Evolve?" is dreadful.

This is the shittest collection of opinions i've ever read in my life.

sutin

First Jarvis solo album > This Is Hardcore. Any fucking day. One of the best albums of the '00s. You lot are off your rockers.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sutin on August 02, 2020, 12:49:12 AM
This is the shittest collection of opinions i've ever read in my life.

Wait until you hear about the man who thinks that the first Jarvis LP was one of the best of the 00s.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Say what you like about Jarvis these days, but he's finally perfected that whole disgraced late '70s polytechnic tutor who lives in his car look.

sutin

The first Jarvis album is near perfect and will be forever one of my favourite things he's ever done. Heavy Weather, Tonite, From A To I, Fat Children, Disney Time... Easily his best post-Different Class album.

I thought Room 29 was incredibly dull.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2020, 12:02:22 AM
I never thought I'd think such a thing either, Pulp were the band I loved the most back in the britpop days, and I loved his sly, sleazy sense of humour and wry observations on the world. But I just feel he's aged poorly, like the observations he makes are along the same lines as the 20/30something Jarvis used too, and it's not a good fit. But I've not heard this latest album yet (I plan too tomorrow having now obtained it) so maybe it's a return to form.

I wish he'd go away really. He doesn't seem to be able to say no to anything. Like that minimalism documentary he was on, why the fuck have cocker talking about Terry Riley? He's never talked about Riley, or Cage or La Monte Young, why agree to appear on a documentary about them. Why decide that you're going to release recordings of yourself reading fucking 'bedtime stories'?

And why agree to this, the silly twat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvuMrq3hJs&list=PLebJ6e_5FZdZf-K3wUnoSX2ktKA1PLlJg&index=23

sutin

This thread needs to go away.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 02, 2020, 01:05:25 AM
I wish he'd go away really. He doesn't seem to be able to say no to anything. Like that minimalism documentary he was on, why the fuck have cocker talking about Terry Riley? He's never talked about Riley, or Cage or La Monte Young, why agree to appear on a documentary about them. Why decide that you're going to release recordings of yourself reading fucking 'bedtime stories'?

And why agree to this, the silly twat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvuMrq3hJs&list=PLebJ6e_5FZdZf-K3wUnoSX2ktKA1PLlJg&index=23

Because Cocker was given a shitload of money for it?  He probably didn't want to do a Sainsbury's advert voiceover anymore than you want him to, but needs must. He's getting fuck all from streaming and even pre-Covid, making a living from live shows is a cunt's errand.  Give him a break.

bgmnts

Ha the cunt has a net worth of 5 mil.