Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:30:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jarv is

Started by holyzombiejesus, August 01, 2020, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

The Jarv Is stuff keeps coming up on my Spotify and I always skip it. It's too earnest and middle aged for me to deal with. :'(

Quote from: imitationleather on August 02, 2020, 03:26:33 AM
The Jarv Is stuff keeps coming up on my Spotify and I always skip it. It's too earnest and middle aged for me to deal with. :'(

It's really not very earnest though.

sutin

Okay, i'll shut up now but I genuinely had no idea Jarvis was so unpopular. I'd literally never seen a bad word said about him before this.

Also, what the hell is wrong with doing a Sainsbury's advert?! To quote JC's latest hit album, am I missing something? Are you all 14 year Bill Hicks fans??

Must I Evolve? is his best single since Bad Cover Version.

Custard

This Is Hardcore is roughly four million times better than his first solo album

They ran tests mate

sutin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 02, 2020, 09:37:41 AM
This Is Hardcore is roughly four million times better than his first solo album

They ran tests mate

Nah, it's not.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

He was good on " Celebrity Catchphrase".

earl_sleek

Quote from: sutin on August 02, 2020, 09:28:05 AM
Must I Evolve? is his best single since Bad Cover Version.

What?!

When I first heard it I had to check it was Cocker and not a soundalike, I thought it was so bad. Couldn't believe it was written by the same guy who wrote Common People, Babies etc.

Custard

I like this tune he did with Charlotte Gainsbourg and Air
https://youtu.be/ySJXwyVwz1s

And this sweaty cover of Temptation with Beth Ditto
https://youtu.be/WI6kAShlByw

Both are better than his solo career, but not as good as This Is Hardcore

The scientists have spoken!

sutin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 02, 2020, 10:07:36 AM
I like this tune he did with Charlotte Gainsbourg and Air
https://youtu.be/ySJXwyVwz1s

And this sweaty cover of Temptation with Beth Ditto
https://youtu.be/WI6kAShlByw

Both are better than his solo career, but not as good as This Is Hardcore

The scientists have spoken!

The hell are you smoking to think that throwaway cover of Temptation is better than his solo career?

I'm not doing a good job of shutting up but all these awful Jarvis opinions are really grinding my gears.

sutin

Quote from: earl_sleek on August 02, 2020, 09:49:11 AM
What?!

When I first heard it I had to check it was Cocker and not a soundalike, I thought it was so bad. Couldn't believe it was written by the same guy who wrote Common People, Babies etc.

Get your ears cleaned out. It's not better than Common People or Babies but i'd much rather listen to it than later singles such as A Little Soul and This Is Hardcore.

Custard

I think, if we're being honest, we're all just trying to make you mad and chuck your bowl of Corn Flakes sutin

It's Sunday. Slow news day

sutin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 02, 2020, 10:15:20 AM
I think, if we're being honest, we're all just trying to make you mad and chuck your bowl of Corn Flakes sutin

It's Sunday. Slow news day

These godawful opinions started before I joined the thread.

I'm going back to the Bar Italia forum.

Pranet

Greatly enjoyed his set at End of the Road last year. So there.

Jockice

Never heard of him.

grainger

Quote from: crankshaft on August 01, 2020, 10:27:06 PM
Pulp got better the longer they went on.

You've got that almost the wrong way round (from Pulp Intro onwards, at least; I don't know the earlier stuff). Best to worst[nb]God, I hate saying some music is "best" or "worst". Why am I even doing this?[nb]My hypocrisy is even worse than This is Hardcore.[nb]Especially that instance of it.[/nb][/nb] I feel like those music magazines/books that tell you which tracks to "skip" and which to bother with on even a classic album, or tell you what the best moment in a song is, by time stamp.[/nb]:

His 'n' Hers
Different Class
Pulp Intro (yes, it's a comp, but one that basically rounds up otherwise unavailable tracks)
We Love Life
This is Hardcore

Hardcore is a wretched listen, two or three tracks excepted. We Love Life isn't that good, except Wickerman, which is possibly their very best track.

sutin

I love We Love Life and while I like This Is Hardcore, I do find it absurdly overrated.

sutin

His 'N' Hers > Separations > Different Class > We Love Life > This Is Hardcore > Freaks > It

Jarvis (2006) > Beyond The Pale > Further Complications >>> Room 29

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: sutin on August 02, 2020, 11:12:21 AM
His 'N' Hers > Separations > Different Class > We Love Life > This Is Hardcore > Freaks > It > Jarvis (2006) > Beyond The Pale > Further Complications >>> Room 29

I largely agree, although I think the solo albums have got worse as he's gone along. This latest bunch of chaff is embarrassingly awful. I cringe and have to turn 6 Music off for a while*.

*See also: Idles; Fontains DC; Lavinia Blackwater. Not an exhaustive list.

sutin

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on August 02, 2020, 01:03:10 PM
I largely agree, although I think the solo albums have got worse as he's gone along. This latest bunch of chaff is embarrassingly awful. I cringe and have to turn 6 Music off for a while*.

*See also: Idles; Fontains DC; Lavinia Blackwater. Not an exhaustive list.

This was supposed to be two different sequences, separating his solo work from Pulp's. If i'm ranking it all together, i'd go...

His 'N' Hers > Separations > Different Class > Jarvis (2006) > We Love Life > Beyond The Pale > This Is Hardcore > Freaks > Further Complications > It > Room 29

I can't remember how I feel about the Relaxed Muscle album. It's been a while.

lazyhour

Room 29 is like a beautiful experimental documentary, you blithering idiots!

It probably helps that I'm a huge fan of Chilly Gonzales, but to my ears it's a bit of a masterpiece. It paints such an evocative picture of the Chateau Marmont, especially with the college of audio clips throughout.

Brundle-Fly

Then he should give all that Sainsbury's fee and his millions to Help The Aged.  Or at the very least, the bass player of Salad.

the science eel

Separations better than Different Class?

And I thought this thread couldn't get any dafter.

sutin

Quote from: the science eel on August 02, 2020, 03:36:08 PM
Separations better than Different Class?

And I thought this thread couldn't get any dafter.

Well, on par anyway. I didn't realise that was a particularly radical opinion.

Quote from: sutin on August 02, 2020, 11:09:47 AM
while I like This Is Hardcore, I do find it absurdly overrated.

Well now you're the one with the preposterous opinion

His N Hers > This Is Hardcore > Different Class > pre-HNH > We Love Life

Solo stuff is very good but just different.

sutin

Well, Hardcore has simply never been one of my favourites. I'm probably alone here but i've never been arsed with the title track. I could also live without A Little Soul (their worst single possibly ever), Seductive Barry or Glory Days. I still like it, so this is all relative. It contains plenty of songs I love too.

sutin

Quote from: lazyhour on August 02, 2020, 02:54:53 PM
Room 29 is like a beautiful experimental documentary, you blithering idiots!

It probably helps that I'm a huge fan of Chilly Gonzales, but to my ears it's a bit of a masterpiece. It paints such an evocative picture of the Chateau Marmont, especially with the college of audio clips throughout.

I don't know who Chilly Gonzales is other than the guy who made an album with Jarvis Cocker that I don't really like.

Room 29 reminds of The Seduction Of Igmar Bergman by Sparks, which is one of my least favourite Sparks albums.

PaulTMA

The Room 29 live show in Edinburgh was brilliant but I just can't be bothered with the actual album.

DrGreggles

I'd probably rank Jarvis' first solo album above all Pulp's stuff apart from HNH and DC.
Not that I don't like Pulp's other stuff, I just really like his first solo album.

lazyhour

Nice to see other people on here who rate Separations. Not as good as His N Hers, but then what is?

sutin

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 02, 2020, 04:43:01 PM
I'd probably rank Jarvis' first solo album above all Pulp's stuff apart from HNH and DC.
Not that I don't like Pulp's other stuff, I just really like his first solo album.

Yes!!!