Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Up above the streets and houses' Flight Simulator 2020.

Started by mobias, August 02, 2020, 08:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Has anyone here been following this game and its development? Its out on the 18th of this month and I've just pre-ordered it. Every square yard of the entire planet beautifully rendered in 3D with photographic detail. Sounds insanely ambitious. The tech powering it is a fascinating use of cloud computing. Read about it here https://www.pcgamer.com/i-played-the-new-microsoft-flight-simulator-for-a-week-and-i-cant-believe-its-real/

You can fly over an almost perfectly rendered version of North Korea and wave at Kim Jong-Un https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFgpedl7cw&t=43s

An overvue of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpf2XEzr76k

Just counting down the days until they put something like this into VR (or have they already?)

mobias

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 02, 2020, 08:18:20 PM
Just counting down the days until they put something like this into VR (or have they already?)

They have already. I'm more and more tempted to buy a VR headset. Oculus have got a new (much better) version of theirs coming soon so I'll look into that.

Neomod

Could you actually teach yourself to fly in one of these things as my last brush with flight games was F16 Falcon on the Amiga?

mobias

Quote from: Neomod on August 02, 2020, 08:42:13 PM
Could you actually teach yourself to fly in one of these things as my last brush with flight games was F16 Falcon on the Amiga?

Sounds like FS2020 is made with a wide range of customisation when it comes to whether you want to play it as a simulator or not. There's an 'easy mode' whereby you can just play it as an arcade flying game and use an Xbox controller or you can play it in full simulation mode where by its incredibly realistic and you have to use flying sim hardware accessories like a joystick, throttle control and rudder pedals . It would be good fun to use the latter but I've read to be careful there and don't buy cheap stuff as there can be no end of problems with it.

Chedney Honks

I'm enormously excited for this. I really enjoyed using Google Streetview in VR and the Chinese Baidu Maps equivalent to 'visit' various places I've lived in Europe, Africa, South America and China, and then 'revisiting' various places I've been for holidays or whatever. I was blown away by the Proustian rush of seeing an old Kodak shop where I used to buy and develop film. Once I started choosing random points on the map and just walking round with some music on, it was a very strange, slightly eerie glimpse of the future. While I know this is going to be much more limited in the emotional connection I will feel, mostly because I'm not so familiar with a birds eye view of almost anywhere, I am really looking forward to flying along the Yangtze river and over Lu Shan and Huang Shan and Xi Hu Lake and so on. I wish I could land outside my old apartment and order some hot dry noodles and all my old friends could climb on board and we could have a party in the plane before I crashed it into the New World Tower in Hankou.

Chedney Honks

PC in a couple of weeks and Xbox Series X next year. It's a Microsoft production.

mobias

Sounds like its an absolute beast when it comes to system requirements. People with with dual RTX2080ti cards aren't even getting stable 60fps at 4K with everything set at ultra. I'm preparing for the worst with my GTX1080. Its heavy going on the CPU too since so much data is being crunched on the fly from the cloud.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 02, 2020, 08:18:20 PM

It's called reality

Neomod

Apparently London looks a bit ropey in this. The city seems to be missing many signature buildings and HMS Belfast is a flat 2d mage under water. The Icon A5 looks fun though.

Happily/sadly I just don't have the time to get the most out of something like this.

Cold Meat Platter

The tech looks incredible but I'll hold off until they use the engine to run a game where I can poke holes in other people's planes with bits of exploding metal. The sightseeing thing may be good for a while but I'd rather be strafing tanks in my Il-2 Sturmovik.

mobias

Quote from: Neomod on August 03, 2020, 07:03:28 PM
Apparently London looks a bit ropey in this. The city seems to be missing many signature buildings and HMS Belfast is a flat 2d mage under water. The Icon A5 looks fun though.

Its the sort of thing they'll keep on adding more and more content to and improve over time. Everything is coming off Bing maps and as fas as I can see Bing maps is incredibly detailed when it comes to US cities, most US cities have 3D telemetry data but European cities don't. Edinburgh certainly doesn't, which I'm a bit disappointed about. Hopefully Microsoft will work on that.

Mister Six

Happily/sadly I just don't have the time to get the most out of something like this.

Aye, details in the vid here: https://youtu.be/9jhUZgh5brk

Buckingham Palace being made of generic assets is odd, but as the guy says, he's playing a beta version, and stuff like that can be patched and/or modded in.

I'd be kind of tempted to see the village I grew up and my old digs in various far-off climes, but I imagine most of them will be weird approximations rather than anything "realistic". Also I can't afford a PC worth playing this on. Exciting glimpse of the future though.

ProvanFan

The nine million cunts will be added in a future patch

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: mobias on August 03, 2020, 06:37:23 PM
Sounds like its an absolute beast when it comes to system requirements. People with with dual RTX2080ti cards aren't even getting stable 60fps at 4K with everything set at ultra. I'm preparing for the worst with my GTX1080. Its heavy going on the CPU too since so much data is being crunched on the fly from the cloud.

I have more or less the same GPU as you, it's above the recommended requirements so should be fine to play. 4k/ultra isn't really necessary, I think people get a bit too obsessed with pushing everything to the graphical limit then complaining that the fps isn't high enough.

Zetetic

It's managing to dip into an interesting region of realism where everything just feels uncomfortably wrong, rather than just a typical compromise. Something about the effectiveness of the lighting and water effects, maybe, make the lack of traffic or really any actual human presence feel very odd.

(Tempting to call this "uncanny valley", but it's not really the same effect even if it's a reasonable analogy.)

imitationleather

Quote from: Zetetic on August 04, 2020, 05:32:25 PM
make the lack of traffic or really any actual human presence feel very odd.

Just pretend you're flying around during lockdown and job's a good'un.

mobias

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 04, 2020, 01:49:30 PM
I have more or less the same GPU as you, it's above the recommended requirements so should be fine to play. 4k/ultra isn't really necessary, I think people get a bit too obsessed with pushing everything to the graphical limit then complaining that the fps isn't high enough.

Yeah you're right. I'm just a sucker for high quality eye candy. Thankfully the GTX1080 is still a great card 4 years after release. I would love to get a VR headset for this. I'm going to pay a bit of attention to seeing what that new HP headset is like when its released next month. FS2020 supports it from the outset apparently. 500 quid though.

Quote from: Zetetic on August 04, 2020, 05:32:25 PM
It's managing to dip into an interesting region of realism where everything just feels uncomfortably wrong, rather than just a typical compromise. Something about the effectiveness of the lighting and water effects, maybe, make the lack of traffic or really any actual human presence feel very odd.

(Tempting to call this "uncanny valley", but it's not really the same effect even if it's a reasonable analogy.)

Traffic is modelled in this and will even be denser at different times of day like rush hour. Apparently they've also got the tech to put real world aeroplanes in the game using live flight data and tracking. You could fly alongside a 747 in the game which would be at the exact position in the real world. Bonkers stuff.

You can see the traffic in the background in this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoTL96QS6NM&t=833s

Zetetic

Chedney Honks

Feel like pure shit just wanna fly into a field of sausage dogs

Wonderful Butternut

Brill, I can use this to practice attack runs on no. 10.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: mobias on August 04, 2020, 07:56:09 PM
Yeah you're right. I'm just a sucker for high quality eye candy. Thankfully the GTX1080 is still a great card 4 years after release. I would love to get a VR headset for this. I'm going to pay a bit of attention to seeing what that new HP headset is like when its released next month. FS2020 supports it from the outset apparently. 500 quid though.

Comparison of the Low, Medium, High and Ultra graphics settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHm7-AkmX1E&t Actually looks very good on Low, compared to most modern games. My laptop's GTX1060 6GB will get mid 50s fps on medium settings according to another video, fine for me. Your 1080 should fare even better. Definitely going to get this one.

This Barcelona fly through is beautiful, don't think I have the necessary skills to get that low to the buildings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZ5ZJDEugo

Mister Six

Can you fly a helicopter in these things? I'd just want to buzz down the streets I've lived on, and gawp.

Just watched a video of a Dubai flyby, complete with absurd Burj Khalifa model. Sadly it was too cloudy to make out a lot of details. I'd really like to know how they auto-generated the smaller buildings, because that city is full of stupid looking structures, even ones that are supposed to just be shopping malls or office blocks.