Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Up above the streets and houses' Flight Simulator 2020.

Started by mobias, August 02, 2020, 08:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 22, 2021, 03:37:09 PM

Pfft.  A likely story.  She's 17 going on 37, if she's a day.

She sure is hard work thats for sure. I thought it make for a nice and interesting afternoon out to go and see Sealand, the worlds smallest principality, and other second world war sea forts in the North sea off the Suffolk coast.
All she did was complain about sea sickness.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: mobias on February 20, 2021, 03:21:51 PM
Sadly its currently just an AI approximation of Bishopbriggs thats in the sim. Not sure whether its an improvement or not?

Haha, I slightly hoped being a satellite town of Glasgow that it might've got some of that sweet rendering-by-association despite being quite a non-descript place in its own right. Love the pictures you take in game, by the way!

As an aside, I've often wondered how much mileage there is in thread about your own home town appearing in games. The subject has always fascinated me. I've been drawn to train simulators just purely because sometimes they feature Glasgow to Edinburgh, which passes by my wee station in Bishopbriggs, and it feels so odd but pleasing to see a small corner of my world appearing in a game. Imagine how spoilt for choice you'd be if your home was New York City or the centre of London.

falafel

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 22, 2021, 03:37:09 PM

Crikey!  Small world.  I too literally got punched in the face in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral (around 2 years ago).  I wonder if it was the same bruiser who decked us both!

If there's one thing we've learned from all this, it's that people in Winchester don't take kindly to public masturbation

Pinball

Amazing how long the Xbox Series X is taking to arrive...

mobias

Its coming out in July or there abouts. Its got to be partly recoded to work on Xbox apparently. They're also taking time to add more gameplay type features to it to make it more appealing to the console crowd. People with an XBox are in for a treat though. There's tons of third party stuff coming to the console version like fighter jets, concord and a Spitfire.

Pinball

mobias

Enjoying a little flight up the Suez canal in flight sim. There's quite a blockage.

batwings

Pretty decent Airbus H135 helicopter (free):

https://flightsim.to/file/8970/airbus-h135-helicopter-project

Great fun.

If you're using a HOTAS, you can create a controller profile with the throttle axis reversed to act as the collective.

Pinball

Great Suez sim there, ha. Did they change the ship's name to avoid being sued?

Zetetic

Interesting that we're seeing the sort-of technological selling point of the game now appearing as middleware:
https://cesium.com/platform/cesium-for-unreal/

mobias

Quote from: Pinball on March 30, 2021, 12:27:16 AM
Great Suez sim there, ha. Did they change the ship's name to avoid being sued?

Real world shipping liveries aren't in the sim because they would need to pay for licenses to use them. Currently there's not even real world airline liveries for the passenger planes because Microsoft have yet to do a deal with any airline to use them.

mobias

I've been having a ton of fun with this creating mods for people to download. I'm really getting to grips with the SDK and there's now loads of asset libraries out there you can use free of charge. I've just finished making a Glen Coe scenery mod that puts lots of little details in the Glen, hill walkers, tourists, mountain bikers. Even fully animated sheep. I've even made a Glen Coe mountain rescue mini game where you have to find and rescue injured hill walkers using the H135 chopper. Its fucking ace fun in VR.

Footage here of a rescue from Glen Coe's hidden valley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYUAkKuMHIc and here

Zetetic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

falafel

I'd have sacked them off too, they had plenty of time to get in the chopper.

falafel

Seriously though, seeing how people play with the world is my favourite thing about sims like this. I haven't played since before Christmas but every now I check on on this thread and marvel.

mobias

The sim is going to have a shit ton of changes thrown at it over this summer. Mostly because the release on the XBox has meant they've been able to really optimise everything way more than it currently is. The DEM data for the entire planet being fed into the sim from Bing maps will get a big upgrade so landscapes will look more realistic. Its also getting real time ray tracing brought to it so it should look pretty incredible. Also the weather is getting a big upgrade so extreme weather like hurricanes and tornados should be accurately modelled. I'm looking forward to supersonic flight being brought in properly too.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 04, 2021, 09:16:46 PM
Christ

Actually he make might make quite a good addition.

mobias

This is coming out for Xbox next week on the 27th. I know there's a few Xbox CABers interested in it. Greg Dyke has a nice little preview video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBBt5npVTpo

I've been involved in doing QA testing work on the new version on PC for over a month now and its pretty incredible what they've done with it. It gets released for PC next Tuesday too.

Malcy

I bet the download will be huge. Looking forward to it.

Timothy

You can preload it now for Xbox.

Full game is around 94 gig.
Online mode only 47.
Offline only 47 as well.

I only downloaded the online mode. Cant wait.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Zetetic on May 04, 2021, 09:11:52 PM
The sheep are lovely.

Yeah, I bet you reckon they are, you dirty old bollocks.

Quote from: falafel on May 05, 2021, 12:01:08 AM
I'd have sacked them off too, they had plenty of time to get in the chopper.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is getting arsey in his old age.

mobias

Quote from: Timothy on July 23, 2021, 09:14:26 PM
You can preload it now for Xbox.

Full game is around 94 gig.
Online mode only 47.
Offline only 47 as well.

I only downloaded the online mode. Cant wait.

I would just be aware that the online version streams almost all the data to create the world scenery. The full version only streams some of the data and eats up far less bandwidth. Having said that I know its an enormous chunk of data to take up on your Xbox hard drive. That 94GB actually decompresses to about 140GB.

Definitely a good bit of advice to use a mouse with your Xbox if you can. You'll find it much easier to navigate the sim and much, much easier using the cockpit controls in the aircraft. The Xbox controller is fine for general controls though and the really important aircraft functions are all mapped to it.

It'll be interesting to see what everyone makes of it on Xbox. The sim is so much better now than when it was released last August.

Pinball

I just pre-ordered FS for the Series X. Looking forward to this. Of course, I need to find a Series X console now :-)

Malcy

Any get this to pre install from Game Pass. I'm on a pre-order page but there's just a loading circle going round and round and a few options to select stuff that isn't there.

Consignia

Yeah, I've had no problem with downloading it with Game Pass. I got it about a week ago, so don't if there's extra load on it right now.

Malcy

Can only install on Series X/S. that's why it wouldn't work.

Pinball

I'm impressed they got it to work on Series S. Quite a feat of optimisation.

mobias

For those getting the sim tomorrow or soon a great thing to do at the moment is live storm chasing over the American mid West. These were taken flying around Oklahoma over the weekend.

Good review here https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-26-microsoft-flight-simulator-console-review-occasionally-clunky-port-cant-dull-the-magic

Pinball

If you want to just nose around aerial photos of your local area etc, how do you do that?