Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Up above the streets and houses' Flight Simulator 2020.

Started by mobias, August 02, 2020, 08:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Quote from: mobias on August 07, 2020, 06:46:57 PM
Southhampton is the only UK city to be rendered with 100% accuracy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHlCCmWkV7Y

Yay! Southhampton!

I've seen a couple of this bloke's videos about space games and his voice reminds me of Shearsmith in LoG as 'Daddy'.

mobias

Just pre-ordered this on Steam. Officially very excited now. For other CABers getting it I recommend this guys youtube channel for tutorials and setting up tips. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSeb5KSN6BC1c0WwEjUzM_A

El Unicornio, mang

I watched quite a few of Squirrel's Truck Simulator vids last year when I was getting into those games, definitely one of the best for simulation game videos.

I'm assuming Limmy will be having a go on this too, looking forward to his thoughts...

mobias

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 16, 2020, 01:38:51 PM

I'm assuming Limmy will be having a go on this too, looking forward to his thoughts...

If people got bored watching him play Snowrunner endlessly then god only knows what they'll make of him playing this. Even for the fact that its interesting seeing recognisable places within the sim its still not a thrilling game to watch others play.

El Unicornio, mang

I can imagine him just landing the plane in the middle of Glasgow town centre then spending 3 hours using the Showcase camera to try to find his house, telling anecdotes as he passes by particular areas/landmarks.

Mister Six

mobias

Greg Dyke has an interesting new video about taking a walk around the various environments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ETsI1TI94

mobias

Looks like there's going to be a ton of third party DLC for this including a plug in which turns it into an airline company simulator in an online persistent world. Sounds thrilling.  https://www.onair.company/Home

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: mobias on August 16, 2020, 05:48:05 PM
Greg Dyke has an interesting new video about taking a walk around the various environments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ETsI1TI94

Looks very post-apocalyptic in places

Neomod

Quote from: mobias on August 16, 2020, 07:01:22 PM
Looks like there's going to be a ton of third party DLC for this including a plug in which turns it into an airline company simulator in an online persistent world. Sounds thrilling.  https://www.onair.company/Home

So a bit like euro/american trucker in the wide blue yonder?

mobias

Microsoft aren't doing a pre-release download of this. The bastards! I was looking forward to playing it at midnight. Fuck knows how long its going to take to download 150GB when the release lifts on Steam.

Quote from: Neomod on August 17, 2020, 10:00:47 AM
So a bit like euro/american trucker in the wide blue yonder?

From what I can see third party DLC is huge in Flight Simulator games. Also, its very expensive. A single aircraft for XPlane can cost up to 60 or 70 quid. 20 quid for a single airport. Most people seem to think prices will be the same when stuff gets ported over to FS2020.

Get ready to pay for all that extra environment detailing too. There's a London landmarks DLC for FS2020 available for launch tomorrow but its about £15. There's also a highly detailed Grand Canyon DLC in the works for FS2020, again you'll have to pay for it. You can see how its going to work. The devs have said the world will increase in detail anyway but they're at the mercy of when and where Bing maps is updated.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: mobias on August 17, 2020, 09:44:26 PM
Microsoft aren't doing a pre-release download of this. The bastards! I was looking forward to playing it at midnight. Fuck knows how long its going to take to download 150GB when the release lifts on Steam.

Shite so that's how this works. Got a bit confused when it finished after a gig and said it was installed. Only drive with the room to install it is the non solid state one so god knows how that's going to affect it!

mobias

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on August 17, 2020, 10:07:41 PM
Only drive with the room to install it is the non solid state one so god knows how that's going to affect it!

Same goes for me. It shouldn't effect the performance of the game when its actually loaded and running too much.  Obviously it'll just take a bit longer to load when you first fire it up though. I store most of my games on a secondary standard hard drive anyway. I've long since ran out of space on my SSD. I really should get another one at some point since they've come down in price a bit.

El Unicornio, mang

I cracked open my laptop last month to install a 1TB SSD but this game is going to nearly max it out (half of it is already full of Unreal Engine projects which are ludicrously large). As you've said it should run fine on a regular drive (my regular drive is too full anyway though). It's a shame we can't download the data beforehand and then get the .exe or whatever at midnight. I'm estimating it'll be about 3am by the time it finishes downloading, bed time. So I guess I'll play it tomorrow. Haven't looked forward to a game as much as this one for a while.

mobias

There's a glitch in the download for this. I used this simple tutorial for getting the download to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhFv3SITq0

El Unicornio, mang

I did it through Game Pass and had a similar issue, solved by just closing the window and re-opening. Ended up taking about 10 hours to download and install it all, left it overnight.

Found my house, it's kind of like a dream where everything is in the right place but things don't quite look right (the actual houses are two storey, for one thing). As expected though since it's just using the satellite images/guesswork for my area, and still cool. (that's the sea in the background, not a build glitch, I live on the coast) Accurate enough to be able to wander to anywhere from there and know where I'm going from the details. The little hut to the right of the big field is where the local amateur football team gets their kit on, for example.

I have zero knowledge of flight sims so going to have to put a lot of time into this to get the basics down, currently midway through the tutorials.

mobias

Yeah its very weird flying over Edinburgh. Everything is there but yet its not quite right. Looks amazing though, especially from higher up. Out in the countryside it seems to just put generic blocks of flats everywhere. It can look a bit jarring and out of place.

The UI and the sheer amount of options is quite overwhelming. Just learning how to interact and navigate it all is game unto itself.

The graphics settings are going to take some fiddling with. Unlike other games where nocking things down a bit from full 4K doesn't make a huge difference with this it seems to be much more noticeably blurry for me at the resolution one down from 4K.

Thursday

Trying this out on PC gamepass, and it can barely cope, also I think I may need to spend a bit of time in tutorials, because really I just want to slowly hover over places I know, but I'm not sure how not to just zoom straight over things even though I've set it all to easy. I mean I know it's flight simulator, but it needs helicopters.

Limmy's confirmed he's bought this and will be flying over Glasgow on his next stream.

mobias

I seem to be experiencing a lot of crashes, and I don't mean of the aircraft variety. It does seem quite unstable. Its annoying as it takes ages to load. It really needs to be on an SSD I guess.

I've done a bit of mucking about with settings and shoving everything on the medium setting seems to get decent frame rates without sacrificing the games looks. I've sorted my resolution problem out too and got it looking really nice. Flying over the Scottish highlands in the evening sunlight its the most photorealistic game I think I've ever seen.

Flying over high detail areas like New York is brutal on my PC though.

El Unicornio, mang

It's getting a lot of very bad reviews on Steam (amongst a lot of very good ones) due to the issues with CPU usage, recommended GPUs not being able to handle it, etc. Nvidia just released a new driver for it but I found it hasn't really helped. Even on low settings I've had fps fluctuating between 5 and 60 (despite being over the recommended requirements, and the game itself auto-setting it to high-end graphics), random freezes and other annoying glitches. Might want to wait and see if they can make it a bit smoother before I go beyond the 1 quid month trial thing.

Quote from: mobias on August 18, 2020, 06:28:39 PM
I seem to be experiencing a lot of crashes, and I don't mean of the aircraft variety. It does seem quite unstable. Its annoying as it takes ages to load. It really needs to be on an SSD I guess.

I'm on an SSD and I'm getting the same problems, crashing or freezing on loading screens, and long loading times. It's a really cool game but the issues are taking the edge off the enjoyment.

batwings

Still waiting for this to download. 60gb of 90gb done. Taking ages.

mobias

One big criticism of it over and above the technical issues is that the in game map is woefully bad. If ever a game needed a decent map its this one. I just tried to find and fly through Yosemite valley and its incredibly difficult to find somewhere specific you want to visit.

Because it relies utterly on Bing maps its entirely dependent on what areas are well covered. I just went for a fly over Mont Blanc and the French alps and the mountains look terrible. Like really low resolution terrain photos have been stretched badly over an approximation of what the terrain elevation is like.

Like I said though the Scottish highlands look great even if you do get the odd feature like dams which have fallen over

El Unicornio, mang

Some amazing modeling in particular cities like New York. Comparison shot of the game vs a real NYC photo:

https://preview.redd.it/a3uekbd50th51.png?width=2209&format=png&auto=webp&s=be29533e19e7c33069faf576049a0e8ba89a54e7

https://preview.redd.it/gihrjhd60th51.png?width=2209&format=png&auto=webp&s=82e4be0102c695f00af93ed57d0282027cf882d3

Finding the game runs better with the smaller planes, which is fine as I'm enjoying living out my "Indiana Jones/James Bond escaping exotic location" fantasies with some of those old prop ones. The big airliners are cool though, I was quite proud of myself for getting the 747 from Miami to some island, until I crashed into a mountain before I could reach the runway.

mobias

New York is utterly gobsmacking even if I only get 17fps with all my settings on medium with a GTX1080. There must a lot of strain on the global streaming system or something because beta testers and those that had pre-release copies weren't reporting all these issues.

mobias

Flying towards Ben Nevis

Night flight over Edinburgh

My flat is down there somewhere

The detail is amazing. I love mucking about with the drone camera. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nice, the lighting looks reasonably good for night flights, even though i think the muddier textures in low/half-light aren't great, I am impress by the way it isolates light sources and maps them out pin-sharp. Pretty impressive. Even different forms of lighting, warm and cold light as well as levels of brightness.

Thursday

I don't know if it's possible that they'll be able to add something that'll make navigation easier, I know they won't really be able to accurately render every boring town in accurate and specific detail, but it'd be good to have something telling me where I am exactly as I'm flying over places.

Cold Meat Platter

I give it a month 'til you're all bored out of your tits.

mobias

Quote from: Thursday on August 18, 2020, 11:15:08 PM
I don't know if it's possible that they'll be able to add something that'll make navigation easier, I know they won't really be able to accurately render every boring town in accurate and specific detail, but it'd be good to have something telling me where I am exactly as I'm flying over places.

I think eventually with it everything will be rendered properly. The devs have said that Microsoft intend for Bing maps to have 3D telemetry data for most of the world. They don't get any insight into when and where gets updated though. I read an interview with one of the devs and apparently out of the blue a whole chunk of Australia got proper 3D telemetry data on Bing maps updated. So I guess its just a waiting game until most of the world gets done.

At the moment its a total nightmare trying to navigate. I'm guessing if you play in full simulation mode then the in plane navigation systems work. Currently thats a bit over and above my ability level though.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 19, 2020, 12:32:09 AM
I give it a month 'til you're all bored out of your tits.

Hey, you're talking to a man who lost three years of his life to Farming Simulator. I think you'll find I'm made of pretty tough stuff.