Author Topic: 'Up above the streets and houses' Flight Simulator 2020.  (Read 13831 times)

mobias

Re: 'Up above the streets and houses' Flight Simulator 2020.
« Reply #360 on: September 29, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
Another huge update for this was released today. Other than fixing various bugs and refining things further there's a huge pack of Japan scenery. Haven' checked out the cities yet but Mount Fuji looks pretty good. Apparently they're aiming to improve one country a month with free scenery DLC. 

There's already a really healthy community of people making free scenery DLC for it though. It various in quality but its usually pretty decent. My favourite is the Niagra Falls which lights up at night and changes colour with spot lights, like it does in real life.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Unexpected item in stagging area
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »
Quite like the look of this air passenger simulator thats currently in development. If you were doing a long haul flight in FS2020 it would be pretty cool to have his going on a second monitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4CrH9DeGWE

Fucking hell.

I hope you can piss and shit can you? And vomit?

« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2020, 10:49:34 PM »
Back on the Yukon trip. This stretch is so remote that there are no airstrips, so having to ditch on sandbanks in the river.

batwings

• Timewaster seeks same. No timewasters please.
« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »
It's running a fair bit smoother on my system now following these updates. The CPU usage seems better optimised. Still can't fly around New York above 30fps but I prefer hopping between smaller airstrips out in the sticks anyway. Really miss the replay camera for rewatching landings though.

mobias

« Reply #364 on: October 06, 2020, 09:15:29 PM »
The latest Japan update has screwed things up considerably and Asobo have apologised and said they're working to fix things. In order to get that better optimisation there's been a downgrade in graphics, across all settings. Reflections in water and particularly effected and there's quite a few other gaphics downgrades, which may or may not bother you but a lot of players and furious. Asobo have said they're going to reverse the graphics downgrade with the next patch.

My game is so unstable now I've pretty much stopped playing it until they've fixed the latest bugs. It'll crash to desktop now during pretty most flights.

« Reply #365 on: October 06, 2020, 11:10:29 PM »

Literally just scrolling past this photo gave me a pang of motion sickness. Suffice to say I probably won't be playing this simulator in VR anytime soon.

falafel

• Yes, blue.
« Reply #366 on: October 07, 2020, 07:56:15 AM »
Hilarious fact, if you accidentally unmap the Escape key then you can't get back to the main menu and have to alt-f4 out.

batwings

« Reply #367 on: October 08, 2020, 04:59:28 PM »
My game is so unstable now I've pretty much stopped playing it until they've fixed the latest bugs. It'll crash to desktop now during pretty most flights.

I haven't had any CTDs but several times I've had the autopilot and MFDs stop responding mid flight (Cessna Caravan).

mobias

« Reply #368 on: October 09, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »
A mate of mine who works as games programmer gave me a bit of a useful advise. Quite often random game crashes to desktop are caused by bottlenecking on the CPU. This tends to happen if you run games are low to medium settings as the graphics card thinks it doesn't need to work as much and as a result the CPU picks up more strain.

I tried putting all my settings up to high and even a couple on ultra and I've yet to have a single game crash. Crap FPS mind you but least the game is stable.

Anyway I've just bit the bullet and ordered an RTX 3080 so I don't have to worry about anything. Fuck knows when its going to arrive but its on pre-order from Overclockers for when they next have stock. FS2020 sure is costing me a lot of money.

Zetetic

• Worrying the carcass of an old song.
« Reply #369 on: October 09, 2020, 11:11:52 PM »
Does that suggest there's something the matter with your CPU (or cooling, perhaps)?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Unexpected item in stagging area
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2020, 12:01:35 AM »
Literally just scrolling past this photo gave me a pang of motion sickness. Suffice to say I probably won't be playing this simulator in VR anytime soon.

Maybe you are allergic to leather?

mobias

« Reply #371 on: October 10, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »
Does that suggest there's something the matter with your CPU (or cooling, perhaps)?

No its the way some games work at a coding level. Some games are worse than others for creating CPU bottlenecks. There's possibly other factors too though mind you. Like my motherboard may not be the fastest.   

« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »

Anyway I've just bit the bullet and ordered an RTX 3080 so I don't have to worry about anything. Fuck knows when its going to arrive but its on pre-order from Overclockers for when they next have stock. FS2020 sure is costing me a lot of money.

I didn't want to wait for the RTX 3080 on laptop (and it will be ridiculously expensive) but I needed an upgrade for work stuff so I got myself an Alienware with RTX 2080. It requires two power packs (330w and 180w) to run fully so just imaging how much power the 3080 will need...Got the cracked version of MFS (which is up to date with the latest patches, Japan stuff, etc and has full online functionality) as I quit my Xbox game pass thing since it's doubled in price and didn't want to pay 60 quid before testing how well it runs.

Did the Japan tour and got steady 60fps on high, mid 50s on Ultra (at full HD, don't have a 4k monitor). Tried it in NYC and it was more like 35-40 on Ultra. Generally seems fine though, no crashes or anything (except me crashing my plane a lot lol).

Interested to hear how you get on with that new card. Videos suggest about 20-25% improvement over the 2080 so should be very noticeable. I think a lot of people complaining about not being able to run it smoothly at Ultra/4k missed the point that those settings are intended for cards like the 3080 and beyond.

mobias

« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2020, 09:10:43 PM »
Yeah the the RTX 3080 sounds like a beast. Might be a while until I find out though. I'm currently 1067 on the Overclockers pre-order queue for a Gigabyte Eagle RTX3080. I'm paying slightly extra to get an overclocked card but its still one of the cheaper cards out there. There's well over 2000 people in the queue for the high end massively overclocked MSI 3080. Overclockers are selling about 10 different 3080's and all of them have between 750 and 2500 people in the queue for each card. Its a crazy situation. I get a weekly email telling my how much I've moved up the line. It didn't move at all for a few weeks then I shot up by 15 whole places. They're expecting the stock situation to get better at the end of this month and ramp up through November but I'll be surprised to get my card before Xmas TBH.

The power draw of the 3080 is big. Environmentally friendly it is not.  Nvidia recommend a 750W PSU but other people recommend a 850W or even a 1000W PSU to be on the safe side, especially if you're overclocking. I'll need to watch my electricity bills. Running a card like that is basically like having an oven on.

mobias

« Reply #374 on: October 20, 2020, 07:44:48 PM »
First proper fast jet 3rd party mod. Not badly priced either. However its not available yet within in the game market place. Should apparently be available in a couple of weeks though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0U2iAN3tA&t=821s

« Reply #375 on: October 21, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
Sweet! Hoping for an F14 Tomcat one too so I can live out my Top Gun fantasies.

mobias

« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
Sweet! Hoping for an F14 Tomcat one too so I can live out my Top Gun fantasies.

An F14 is in the works apparently. I don't think it'll be cheap though. My head, or rather my bank balance, is slowly coming to terms with just how expensive flight sim DLC is. I really want the 787 Dreamliner but its 60 quid.

mobias

« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2020, 10:02:16 PM »
I bought the fast jet this evening. Great fun. I'd totally recommend it if you've got the sim. I had to crank a lot of settings down though to get a decent frame rate, which you really need for low level flying otherwise its annoyingly juddery.

Flew over where I went on holiday in the highlands last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0gSecCSAc&t=150s

batwings

« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
I bought the fast jet this evening. Great fun. I'd totally recommend it if you've got the sim. I had to crank a lot of settings down though to get a decent frame rate, which you really need for low level flying otherwise its annoyingly juddery.

Flew over where I went on holiday in the highlands last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0gSecCSAc&t=150s

Does the HUD work?

mobias

« Reply #379 on: October 23, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »
Does the HUD work?

Not sure. Its possible I just don't know how to turn it on. Its meant to be a 'study' level plane meaning its meant to be as realistically modelled as possible. Which is probably why I can't seem to land it. I should probably practice more in a small Cessna before strapping myself into a fast jet.

Tags: