Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Max Ostro - The James Harries Of The Guitar

Started by Hand Solo, August 02, 2020, 08:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Following from the success of my Phil Minton thread, I chanced upon this lad videos on YouTube. Here's his channel.

I was just amused by his bored vacant expression and hair while shredding, he seems to adopt the same attitude live on stage.

I suppose it's interesting to see these musical prodigies at work. Might as well throw in Ichika Nito while I'm here. His channel is full of his short compositions and trying crazy alternate tunings viewers suggest like EEEEEe or ABCDEF like he's played them all his life, or playing left handed or on a guitar with one string.

The Mollusk

PlanktonSideburns

Not my sort of music, but he is exeptional.could easily be a bit retro Every now and then he does something that I've never heard on a guitar before

Looking like someone has taken cuttings from napoleon dynamite and not watered him enough adds to the frisson

That one where he's rocking out at shredfest in a gilet was a powerful blend of sounds and fashion. Not been so confused since I saw tosin abasi in a Panama hat on emg TV

Also, tosin abasi is a danm sexy cunt inst he?

Hand Solo

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 02, 2020, 10:23:47 PM
Not my sort of music, but he is exeptional.could easily be a bit retro Every now and then he does something that I've never heard on a guitar before

I'm not a fan of that whole Yngwie Malmsteen shredding style either, but their technique is good and they could easily apply it to other forms like Django-style Gypsy Jazz.

That one where he's rocking out at shredfest in a gilet was a powerful blend of sounds and fashion. Not been so confused since I saw tosin abasi in a Panama hat on emg TV

I think he said the sound system was a bit pants at that event so his guitar tone is a bit rough. Here he is doing the same song in stereo with recently separated Siamese twin, arf.

In regards precocious kids playing guitar, there' a bunch in this video, including one little girl who looks like she borrowed her left arm from 70s Arnie, and a singer who probably wouldn't qualify as a sound technician. WARNING - CONTAINS STEVIE T.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 02, 2020, 08:13:52 PM
Following from the success of my Phil Minton thread, I chanced upon this lad videos on YouTube. Here's his channel.

I was just amused by his bored vacant expression and hair while shredding, he seems to adopt the same attitude live on stage.

I suppose it's interesting to see these musical prodigies at work. Might as well throw in Ichika Nito while I'm here. His channel is full of his short compositions and trying crazy alternate tunings viewers suggest like EEEEEe or ABCDEF like he's played them all his life, or playing left handed or on a guitar with one string.
Minton nay, Ostro an enthusiastic yay. I love it when completely indifferent-looking people pull off guitar histrionics that would have a lesser musician doing "metal face"; this chap is their King. Also thumbs up on Ichika Nito. Hurrah! Positivity!

sevendaughters

so tasteless music clinic wanking is ok if you're sufficiently detached? this is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiit.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Got a bit of a Charlie Chuck thing going on with the old hair , there ( at least in the first video shown on the original post).

Hand Solo

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 04, 2020, 11:45:55 AM
so tasteless music clinic wanking is ok if you're sufficiently detached? this is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiit.

I'm not a fan of that whole classical as metal style Malmsteen et al do, but some others that play in that kind of style I can admire some elements of their playing or like it when they do other styles. For instance here's a few videos of Jimmy Rosenberg the original Gypsy guitar kid doing Django songs at a young age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi4aVqEVT_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfhKWPC57f0
And a doc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggM_hOXU4Kk

I have to admit I was just tickled by initial image of seeing Max Ostro playing acoustic jazz and pulling that face, it just reminded me of precocious kids like James Harries, then he switched into Malmsteen metal wank mode and pushed it even further into absurdity. Unlike with Phil Minton, I'm only really laughing at the visuals and not the music, with Minton it's quite the reverse, the visuals of him sitting in a chair looking like he's having a breakdown would actually appear quite harrowing if it weren't for the sounds he was making.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 04, 2020, 11:45:55 AM
so tasteless music clinic wanking is ok if you're sufficiently detached?
Yes. Glad to be of help answering this question for you.

PlanktonSideburns

his clean tone on this one is NIIIIIICE

also the little flourish he does in the middle is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1oBEH6zVM

sevendaughters

I like the lad playing gypsy jazz but this Ostro fella, this is not my kinda guy. I don't even find it impressive even though I play guitar and he's objectively better than I'll ever be. Just seems so soulless!