Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Try and guess what I'll regret most from this PC build

Started by peanutbutter, August 02, 2020, 08:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Think I posted this elsewhere but lets do a thread

Goals:
- Can be Hackintosh'd
- Lasts 5 years being able to play new releases on lowish settings, ideally longer (I'm using the new Half Life as a base for this), is there anything to actually stop a decent specc'd machine lasting way longer than that now?
- Has some room for upgrading to rectify mistakes later instead of paying tons extra upfront
- < £700

See no need for a full sized ATX board so I'm gonna go micro ATX.

- Board: Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING (recommended for hackintoshing) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J5T9BJS
- Processor: Inter i5-9400 (possible upgrade in several years to i9-9900 and whatever cooling options, stuck with Intel here)
- GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB (possible upgrade in several years 5700 XT, stuck with AMD here due to Apple)
- Fan: none, other than whatever ones come with the case and the processor and whatever else
- Hard drive: the SSD I've lying around, a big ass old school one for backing shit up, probably upgrade to a faster drive in the future
- Memory: 2x8GB at whatever the board can handle (I think it's 4000mhz), https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TWJ42VQ/ 2 free slots for future if needed
- PSU: Just go overboard and get one that can deal with the i9 and 5700 just in case, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WVWXPVZ
- Case: I dunno, whatever mATX one has the most reviews on amazon

Think this'll come out at about £700, as I haven't built one before I'm gonna buy all the parts new to save myself grief

So what outta that looks like a very bad idea? will it be able to run Fez at 240fps in 4K?

Joy Nktonga

I can't answer anything about your query in any way, especially anything about a Hackintosh, but on that subject I have a "further reading": It looks like Apple are going for their own chips and ditching Intel, possibly as early as next year. Does that scupper the Hackintosh thing?

Sorry if this a totally stupid interjection.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on August 02, 2020, 09:23:50 PM
I can't answer anything about your query in any way, especially anything about a Hackintosh, but on that subject I have a "further reading": It looks like Apple are going for their own chips and ditching Intel, possibly as early as next year. Does that scupper the Hackintosh thing?

Sorry if this a totally stupid interjection.
Nah, Intel chips will still be OS supported for a fair few years still.
On the basis of their current rollout I'd be stunned if they ditched Intel next year, but even if they did you'd have Mac Pros from this year that they couldn't really bail on supporting within a few years.

It is very much a secondary concern, I'm assuming I'll use Windows mostly.

Joy Nktonga

Glad it's not a concern. I appreciate you answering.

peanutbutter

Mind you, at least half the reason I want it to be hackintosh friendly is so I have some kind of solid guidelines towards building one that I could actually give a shit about (i.e. I have fuck all interest in playing Metro Exodus at 120fps with all settings on high across 3 4K monitors).

Any reason why you're going Intel rather than AMD with the CPU? You'll get a lot more for your money with an AMD chip and they are also Hackintoshable.

seepage

Fan: might need something better than the stock CPU cooler. The one that came with my i7 4790K is OK (no overclocking) but the one with my previous i7 930 makes a horrible bee in a biscuit tin whine as soon as utilisation goes anything above 10%.