Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

making a PC quiet for a music studio

Started by PlanktonSideburns, August 03, 2020, 10:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

ive a gaming pc which i want to chuck into a new music studio, but it makes this constant fan noise, assumedly coming from the graphics card and inbuilt fan

is there any sort of alternative to a fan? i could put it in another room and run cables through, but not conveniently

Sebastian Cobb

Water cooling can be quieter (although it'll still have a pump somewhere) but you can get quiet fans to replace your existing ones which will probably be far less of a faff. You can get aftermarket replacement coolers for graphics cards too.

You can also get cases that are meant to be quiet.

Blumf

If you don't need the performance, you can get cheap fanless PCs that may fill your general requirements, and only boot the noisy gaming PC to shoot things.

MojoJojo

Yeah, I was going to say that while you can make quiet PCs, it's conflicts with the gaming part pretty strongly.

NoSleep

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 03, 2020, 10:09:59 AM
ive a gaming pc which i want to chuck into a new music studio, but it makes this constant fan noise, assumedly coming from the graphics card and inbuilt fan

is there any sort of alternative to a fan? i could put it in another room and run cables through, but not conveniently

I bought a couple of long cables and exiled my computer to the hall. I haven't gone as far as drilling a hole in the wall to do this, but that would be the proper way to go.

The biggest noise is probably your hi spec gaming graphics card. Try and find a basic one that doesn't need a built in fan, nor an extra PCI slot as an exhaust; this will save lots on electricity, too. You won't need any fancy graphics card to run music apps.

Also get some closed back headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770 will do the job) to seal out extra noise and very useful for listening in on your mixes.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I think it's gonna be the hole in the wall,  as I'm often running video editing and 3d stuff at the same time as music stuff, so need that noisy ol graphics card

Thanks all!

The good news is, make it big enough and you can use the hole as a glory hole when the PC isn't in use. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

NoSleep

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 04, 2020, 09:05:57 AM
Yea I think it's gonna be the hole in the wall,  as I'm often running video editing and 3d stuff at the same time as music stuff, so need that noisy ol graphics card

In tandem or just multitasking in the background?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: NoSleep on August 04, 2020, 12:56:10 PM
In tandem or just multitasking in the background?

yes

sometimes making video content and music at the same time in reaper, and sometimes doing webart/AV type stuff thats somewhere between