Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 752
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:57:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Third world still bossing it

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 03, 2020, 01:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bastards - what are they doing better than us?

Tbf the lads need a break.

BlodwynPig

But the UK has one of the worst death rates in the world

thenoise

Good thing about keeping most of the country's population in poverty - stops the little buggers moving around so much, infecting one another. Britain can learn from this. And probably will.

The Mollusk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 03, 2020, 01:27:45 PM
But the UK has one of the worst death rates in the world

He said third world not turd world

bgmnts

Is moaning about covid a #firstworldproblem?

Garam

Cuellar

Shoulders cancelled for using the term 'third world'

Noodle Lizard

Less testing, probably.

Then again I had to go to the ER the other day in California (which is partially locked down again and very proactive in testing), presenting with shortness of breath and chest pains and they just let me wander right on in to the same waiting room as all the Saturday night drunks and kids with diarrhea. I have no reason to believe I have COVID, but I was surprised to not even be tested or kept apart from everyone else.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

poo

Reality likely to be v bad in developign countries as they just can't measure it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Let's take a big African country to compare. Nigeria has something like 23,000* public/private hospitals of one sort of another and a population of 206 million.

Recorded deaths attributed to Covid are 4 per million people (Brazil's is currently 459, U.S 489)

Even accounting for its relative lack of prosperity and worse public health, for the disparity to be due to a shortfall in correctly attributed deaths would be disproportionate beyond all sensible reasoning.

Record keeping of overall deaths is likely to be a little firmer, not totally reliable but it would be interesting to compare excess deaths in the developing world and see if is largely down to failure to attribute cause of death to Covid.

*pdf

Alberon

What is the life expectancy in these countries? Covid is much more dangerous the older you are.

Noodle Lizard

It also depends a little on how each country (or even vicinity) reports deaths as being "from COVID-19". For instance, a man in my area dying of "a drug overdose while infected with COVID-19", a New Yorker being a victim of "homicide while infected with COVID-19" and a man in Philadelphia falling off a ladder "while infected with COVID-19". I'd be surprised if many third world hospitals had the time or ability to test people for the virus after death from non-illness-related causes.

nugget

Quote from: Alberon on August 06, 2020, 07:03:56 PM
What is the life expectancy in these countries? Covid is much more dangerous the older you are.

I think this has a lot to do with it. Less old people, less fatties, etc.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: nugget on August 06, 2020, 08:57:52 PM
I think this has a lot to do with it. Less old people, less fatties, etc.

Yes, I think so too. I did mention it when Bosto made his Collapso-fuckdown predo for Africa. Not a lot of people in their 70s and 80s (who still occupy the overwhelming % of deaths worldwide) out there. Of course it's easier to make really stark predictions as similar to apocalypse countdown cults you can just turn around and claim it will still happen, just not yet.

chveik

bgmnts

Of course third world countries are famous for it's well nourished, well hydrated, good healthed citizens. Not susceptible to covid at all.

Dex Sawash

Aren't third world near-dead age people equivalent health-wise to the older 1st world grave-dodgers? I think, based on nothing, they should die of covid at near the same rate. They should be just as tenuously clinging to life?

Chedney Honks

Interesting but not surprising that South Africa is top five global cunted given its ethnic and economic demographics.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 06, 2020, 10:32:49 PM
I did mention it when Bosto made his Collapso-fuckdown predo for Africa...Of course it's easier to make really stark predictions as similar to apocalypse countdown cults you can just turn around and claim it will still happen, just not yet.

I agree that Africa as a whole is probably going to be the least affected continent in terms of deaths, not least because the average lifespan is 10-15 years old lower than everywhere else. That doesn't invalidate the point that all of this is timeline dependent, so the comment about cults is misplaced and petty.

Four months ago, my boss told me not to worry about my mate in Mumbai because India was doing fine. I explained, completely exasperated by the ignorance, that it's a question of the timeline not the moment. Fast forward until it's had chance to stretch its legs and India is where it is now, and getting worse faster than any country has experienced so far. Another million cases in twenty days. My mate is working seventy hours a week and can't talk about it now.

I very much doubt that much of Africa will reach anything like that point, though. I agree.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on August 07, 2020, 03:02:26 AM
Of course third world countries are famous for it's well nourished, well hydrated, good healthed citizens. Not susceptible to covid at all.

From what I understand, age is much more of a factor than general health. I read that if you're over 90, the current situation in Europe is, danger-wise, the equivalent of flying bombers during WWII but rapidly gets massively less dangerous as you lower the age. For 20s, probably the equivalent of the Home Guard during a training exercise.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethe comment about cults is misplaced and petty.

The Covid forum king of troll-emojis, allcaps and hectoring po-facedly bringing me up on tone!

I said 'similar', I'm aware it's not the same, I'm just guardedly pointing out your choice of next door neighbour, not saying you are him.

I think it is pretty reasonable to state that it's easier, lazier to claim things will be awful, because when that doesn't happen you can just say 'it hasn't happened yet' and also if it doesn't happen, then phew, margaritas all round. There is no stake to lose. There is no face to lose. Biggytitbos posts were full of doom-laden predictions and it became extremely easy, indeed he seemed to enjoy being on that perch, to deride his peers as fools. He was making bets the house would never be able to call in the losses on.

In essence mate, you dished it out, so take a bit back.

Chedney Honks

OK, I'll gladly take that.

If I'm happy to post along the full spectrum of tone and intention, I can't pin anyone else down on anything, I suppose, even if it's otherwise a straightforward conversation. I haven't made a doom-laden post for a good couple of months, though. I've been straightforward and supportive of people posting balanced, sourced info, but if I'm happy to call out the fannies for their initial normality fetishist reactions, I should be held to the same standards.

Ultimately, I was right about this shit hole country, I was right about India and I was right about Latin America. Fortunately, Africa isn't doing that bad. Great success. It's also great to finally see all the social distancing restrictions in place that I've been practising since March.

😇😇😇