Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,495
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitty Ellen

Started by Clownbaby, August 04, 2020, 09:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

There's talk of replacing Ellen and her regular talk show spot, with James Corden. Seems a bit like cleaning up a shit and then replacing it with some piss to be honest, as James Corden is also disliked by half of America and has a similar reputation for being a bit of a cunt to work with when the cameras aren't on him. It'll probably mean whatever US network it is that Ellen was on will end up pretty much leveling out to the same viewing figures though, as Corden has the same knack as Ellen for being disliked by many but also adored enough by a certain type of person that they will always have a big audience, providing they don't get C A N C E L L E D

I just think whack on two reruns of Jeopardy in it's place, job's a fuckin goodun

The Mollusk

Ellen Denegerate hahaha

Custard

There's been stories and rumours of her being a horrible person for years, so it's not very surprising

And her sitcom was shit. #cancelled for that alone

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Made a cunt of herself on her chat show by telling the actress Her Who Plays Villanelle that she enjoyed her American accented character on " Doctor Foster" . HWPV took it with her usual good grace, and pointed out that she was playing a top English character, hence her use of that Southern Posho Home Counties accent she likes doing ( you can tell). I've never looked at Former Lady Di Features in the same light since.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Was Ellen's sit-com worse than the one Cybil Shepherd was in? There's only one way to find out...

Emma Raducanu

She has one of those shows, where I feel like I've woken from a coma on an alien planet, with everyone whooping and hollering over who knows what as though it's a different language. I think it's the audience's over animated participation in an entirely dull show that has be genuinely asking 'what the fuck?'

I'd rather sit through an entire series of Songs of Praise than watch a single episode of one of these American talk shows that seem aimed at a demographic I don't think exists in Britain. Or does it?

thr0b

Given Corden is under contract with CBS to do the Late Late Show for two more years, I really can't see him also being available to do a daytime talk show on another network. These rumours are weird.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'd like to amend my nickname for Ellen to " The resulting offspring if a pre- dead  Lady Di and Garry Shandling were to mate". Cheers.

She's shagging that fit bird from " Arrested Development", too. It ain't right.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

She was good in those Bollywood films.

El Unicornio, mang

She's the Cilla Black of being notoriously shitty to people American celebs. I was reading an anecdote from someone living in Rhode Island and was leaving their house one morning and she was jogging down the street and with her bodyguard and screamed "get away from me!" at them. And another who worked on her show and would say hi to her every morning and she would blank them every time, not even acknowledge their existence. Absolute disdain for anyone she considers beneath her.

I find her creepy.

Marner and Me

Quote from: DolphinFace on August 04, 2020, 10:36:33 AM
She has one of those shows, where I feel like I've woken from a coma on an alien planet, with everyone whooping and hollering over who knows what as though it's a different language. I think it's the audience's over animated participation in an entirely dull show that has be genuinely asking 'what the fuck?'

I'd rather sit through an entire series of Songs of Praise than watch a single episode of one of these American talk shows that seem aimed at a demographic I don't think exists in Britain. Or does it?
I thought it was the Yank equivalent of Loose Women. I thought Ellen was the queen of woke culture.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 04, 2020, 01:48:55 PM
I thought it was the Yank equivalent of Loose Women. I thought Ellen was the queen of woke culture.
No ("The View" or "The Talk" would be that - Ellen's show is more like a much blander version of one of the late night shows) and no.

https://twitter.com/KevinTPorter/status/1241049881688412160

is the thread where this guy asks for stories about Ellen, and there are hundreds. My favourite is about how Karen Kilgariff used to be her head writer for five years, but when she refused to cross the picket line, she was fired and Ellen never spoke to her again (this story is also told on WTF).

A podcast I listen to told a story about Corden going to a WGA meeting, where he requested that a new level of writer's job be created so he could pay people on his show less.

The Lurker

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 04, 2020, 01:48:55 PM

The View is the Yank equivalent of Loose Women, surely? Well, maybe... I don't know I've never seen an episode of The View.

DolphinFace's description is bang on. From what I've seen, and granted it's not much, Ellen's show is mainly just shit puns, fawning over celebrities and segments that they're desperate to go viral and, like DF says, full of wooping audience members. Not sure what the British equivalent is.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Lurker on August 04, 2020, 02:55:12 PM
The View is the Yank equivalent of Loose Women, surely? Well, maybe... I don't know I've never seen an episode of The View.

DolphinFace's description is bang on. From what I've seen, and granted it's not much, Ellen's show is mainly just shit puns, fawning over celebrities and segments that they're desperate to go viral and, like DF says, full of wooping audience members. Not sure what the British equivalent is.

The Graham Norton Show?

Gulftastic

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 04, 2020, 10:35:34 AM
Was Ellen's sit-com worse than the one Cybil Shepherd was in? There's only one way to find out...

Cybil's show featured Alicia Witt and therefore immediately wins.

SavageHedgehog

They were both perfectly OK middle-of-the-road mainstream American sitcoms, or at least they seemed that way to me when I was 8. Certainly when Ellen was on the ABC1 freeview channel in the mid-00s it was one of the better, if duller, shows on there.

I remember my family euphemistically talking about the Season where her character came out of the closet one dinner. Joke was on them I had already read about it in Radio Times.

I caught the start of an episode of her chat show on holiday in Oslo (as you do) a few years ago and was appalled by the sheer inanity. The View is certainty preferable, there's a genuinely interesting interview every now and then.

SavageHedgehog

I didn't know Biffo the Bear moved to America after Dennis took over. Good for him.

Annie Labuntur

Maybe 20 years of carrying a stupid talk show for idiots and having everyone do whatever you want has brought out her inner asshole.*

She was great on Larry Sanders and with Shandling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqR_-ZlGv0&t=235 and a good sport on Jiminy Glick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUaUCj1ShN8&t=136 

* No NSFW images please

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 04, 2020, 03:13:39 PM

I hope Biffo's not about to follow the instructions on the lad's T-shirt.

Puce Moment

The Killers and Ellen?

Incredible!

Icehaven

That Oscars selfie stuffed with celebrities she did years ago has always annoyed me. You're at the fucking Oscars ceremony, it's really not that astonishing that you managed to get your phone out and take a photo with loads of famous actors in it, it'd be harder not to.

frajer

That pic looked like the 'before' bit from a Purge film, taken just as the steel shutters came down to protect the wealthy white-teethed elite.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: icehaven on August 04, 2020, 04:20:33 PM
That Oscars selfie stuffed with celebrities she did years ago has always annoyed me. You're at the fucking Oscars ceremony, it's really not that astonishing that you managed to get your phone out and take a photo with loads of famous actors in it, it'd be harder not to.

It was paid for by Samsung, I believe.

Cuellar

Apparently: https://medium.com/@fredgraver/the-true-story-of-the-ellen-selfie-eb8035c9b34d

But is this real? You may ask is 'Fred Graver' a real person and not an emanation of a CaB meme? Well, he apparently is real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Graver

That whole medium piece reads like a parody, though. I feel like I'm losing my grip on reality. Do these things really happen? Do any of these people really exist?

QuoteIn the months leading up to the Oscars, we tossed out dozens of ideas for Ellen to try out. The one she liked had her simply tweeting a selfie from the stage, with the audience behind her. On an impulse, during the rehearsals for the show on Saturday afternoon, she spotted the seating card for Meryl Streep, who would be on the aisle in the third row. Ellen rehearsed going down and taking a selfie with Meryl, just as an option.

As it happens, Samsung had paid a lot of money that year to be a sponsor of the Oscars... a LOT of money. Some representatives of Samsung were at the rehearsal, watching Ellen practice this great moment... with her iPhone. They were a little... concerned.

Here's where the partnerships and professionalism come in. Since it was clear that Twitter was "behind" this moment, Samsung contacted our ad sales person, Matt Derella. They weren't saying "Kill it," but they were saying "Isn't there another way?" Matt called Andrew and myself, and we went back to Ellen's team. Would she, we asked, be willing to look at a Samsung phone for the selfie? We were told that Ellen loved her iPhone, but would be willing to look at a Samsung.

Why has this happened, why is this something that happens in the world? How can it be stopped?

Marner and Me

Quote from: The Lurker on August 04, 2020, 02:55:12 PM

That must be utter desolation.

Cuellar

QuoteOn Sunday morning, Ellen was presented with a tray of different Samsung phones. Each of them was pre-set for a selfie, all she'd have to do was press the button. She practiced in her dressing room, rehearsed the selfie from the stage, and agreed to use the Samsung phone. She was still unsure whether or not she was going to do the Meryl Streep selfie.

GET IN GRAVER

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on August 04, 2020, 04:45:46 PM
Apparently: https://medium.com/@fredgraver/the-true-story-of-the-ellen-selfie-eb8035c9b34d

But is this real? You may ask is 'Fred Graver' a real person and not an emanation of a CaB meme? Well, he apparently is real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Graver

That whole medium piece reads like a parody, though. I feel like I'm losing my grip on reality. Do these things really happen? Do any of these people really exist?

Why has this happened, why is this something that happens in the world? How can it be stopped?

Just laugh at them. You are better than them. You don't have "people". You have something better. Shit on their egos.

The Lurker

Quote from: icehaven on August 04, 2020, 04:20:33 PM

Both her and Kevin Spacey are in that selfie #cancelled